Official Review: Exit the Labyrinth by Stephanie Kay Bendel

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Official Review: Exit the Labyrinth by Stephanie Kay Bendel

Post by ALynnPowers »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Exit the Labyrinth" by Stephanie Kay Bendel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Exit the Labyrinth, author Stephanie Kay Bendel sets the standard for how a memoir should be written. Although this is a true story of “Margo Witz” (all names in the book have been changed) and her experiences dealing with lifelong depression, it reads like a novel and is impossible to put down.

The year is 1989. Margo’s father is undergoing open heart surgery, and she travels with her daughter from their home in Colorado back to Margo’s childhood home in Grandfather Falls, Wisconsin, to be with her family during this sensitive time. Being in her hometown brings back a lot of memories, many of them not-so-pleasant, but so much of her childhood is still a blank. Her therapist is convinced that discovering the root of her depression will help her unlock those memories. She has already undergone years of hypnotherapy, but she has still not recovered those key moments which may have triggered her childhood depression.

“It is as if my memory were originally a long string of colored beads, but somehow the string broke, and my beads have been scattered and lost. Now I am beginning to find them, but I’m not sure what order to put them in.”

Unlike most memoirs, Exit the Labyrinth is not told in chronological order. The most recent events of the story take place in 1989, but throughout the book Margo recalls past events from as far back as the 1940s, such as the time she met her father for the first time after he returned home from his post in the Navy after World War 2. There are seemingly random memories that pop up amidst the current events of sitting in the waiting room while her father is in surgery, but by the time the end of the book rolls around, nothing seems so random at all. Everything flows together nicely, and all of the puzzle pieces of Margo’s life begin to fit together as the book progresses. It’s easy to understand Margo and her life, and the picture that forms from these pieces of her puzzle is breathtaking.

Everything about this book screams excellence: the flawless writing, the wonderful portrayal of characters, the unique rhythm of the timeline, the satisfying conclusion (though some might argue it is a bit anticlimactic, as Margo herself acknowledges), and the bond that can easily be formed between Margo and readers. Every memory in the story is relevant to Margo’s development as a person, even though she feels out of sync with the rest of her family. My favorite story revolves around how Margo’s youngest brother got a new tile floor in his bedroom, and any story that involved her father’s sense of logic had me laughing out loud.

For all of the reasons mentioned above, I gladly give Exit the Labyrinth a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. For those who enjoy memoirs, this is a must-read. Those who have battled with depression may also find comfort in this book.

Exit the Labyrinth
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ALynnPowers's review? Post a comment saying so!
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

@ALynnPowers this is an amazing review of what sounds like a great book. The quote you added seems perfect in describing the overall flow of the book. Great job.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Escapeartist wrote:@ALynnPowers this is an amazing review of what sounds like a great book. The quote you added seems perfect in describing the overall flow of the book. Great job.
Thank you @escapeartist ! It is a really great book. I actually reviewed this a long time ago but it's just now been published for some reason....
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html

Post by Levi »

I noticed that, some flaw in the system perhaps. Oh well, smashing job. And congrats to the author on a positive review!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Wonderful review, ALynnPowers! I really was able to get the gist of the story without being given too much to leave me hanging! I like when memoirs read like a novel because you're right, when it does, it is hard to put down :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I have a huge stack of memoirs to read (darn you to-read list! *shakes fist*), but I could see this winding up there. It sounds like something I could really enjoy :)
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Easily one of the best memoirs I have ever read. No, I'm pretty sure it might be THE best I've ever read. This is totally recommended!
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

Sounds interesting. Great review A. Lynn Powers!
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Fantastic review! It was a joy to read and your love of the book really comes through.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Thanks for such a well-written review, @ALynnPowers . After reading your review, I especially like the title. Very appropriate and almost poetic. I'm glad you enjoyed the book so much, and congratulations to Ms. Bendel on a great review!
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Thanks again for the comments. The title is pretty awesome! And I love that quote. I think I highlighted it while I was reading, and I kind of use it as my motivation whenever I am feeling lost and mixed up.
ValtearTheShadebane
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valteartheshadebane.html
Latest Review: "The Children of Cain" by David R. Bishop & J. Scott Cordero

Post by ValtearTheShadebane »

Great review! Makes me want to learn more about Margo and her struggle... it seems like it takes a tragedy or a near-tragic event to force us to come to terms with who we are and how we got here. I would like to read it and find out how Margo gets through it all. Congratulations to Stephanie Kay Bendel!
Latest Review: "The Children of Cain" by David R. Bishop & J. Scott Cordero
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Great review! I have never read a memoir before but this sounds like it would be a good first!
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

TrishaAnn92 wrote:Great review! I have never read a memoir before but this sounds like it would be a good first!
It doesn't even read like a memoir! It's like any other narrative but totally relate-to-able (is that a word?) because the people and situations are 100% real.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Not my cup of tea, but sounds like a touching memoir. The author tells of dealing with lifelong depression. Great portrayal of characters, unique rhythm, and satisfying conclusion make it a good read for fans of the genres. The format of writing (the way it isn't told in chronological order) is certainly unique. I am glad you enjoyed the book. A great job on the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”