Official Review: Turning Points In Compassion

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: Turning Points In Compassion

Post by Thimble »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Turning Points In Compassion" by Gypsy Wulff and Fran Chambers (Editors).]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I had a hard time writing this review because my opinion on it is very simple. It’s great.

Go get it right now. Shoo.

Still here? Okay… I’ll explain why I think everyone should read Turning Points in Compassion. According to the disclaimer, this book is intended to “provide useful information, inspiration, motivation and education to readers on cruelty free living and plant-based diet”. After reading it, I think all of these things are covered without being judgmental about people who choose to eat animal products. The editors accomplish this by focusing on the personal experiences of animal advocates. The .pdf I received has a really nice format with well-chosen font colors. There are beautiful photos of the different advocates and their animal companions.

The book is made up of articles written by animal advocates and interviews with them. The main focus of the writing is about when the advocates became vegan and why, but a lot of the stories expand far beyond that. All of these different writings are organized well based mostly on the occupation of the advocate in question. It starts with the people on the front lines, the farmers. Then it moves on to people like sanctuary workers, lawyers, vets, doctors, activists, religious leaders, and many others.

There is a bit of a muddle near the middle where a few of the stories sound too similar, but I couldn’t imagine taking any one story out of the book since every writer’s opinion is important and adds a new perspective. My favorite story was about a farmer that was struggling with the decision to take his cattle to slaughter. I found it to be both incredibly touching as well as suspenseful.

While in the journey of learning about each advocate’s story, the reader also learns about farming practices, animal experimentation, environmentalism, human rights, and so much more. Each article also lists resources that the reader can explore to learn more. At the very end there is an addendum with only facts in case the reader wants to learn more about the issues brought up.

Because of the frequent scientific terms and the sophisticated vernacular of many of the writers, the reading level is a little higher than average. Also, while the writing styles and tone vary, quite a few of them are a bit dry. A reader should probably have at least a high school reading level to fully appreciate all of the stories. For those interested in vegan educational material for children, the publisher of Turning Points in Compassion, SpiritWings Humane Education Inc. has a whole series dedicated to that as well.

I rate this book a 4 out of 4. Turning Points in Compassion: Personal Journeys of Animal Advocates should be read by everyone. For vegans, it will enforce what they already embrace. For those that are considering becoming vegan, it will inspire and provide helpful resources. For people that aren’t interested in becoming vegan at all, it will give valuable insight about why those “crazy vegans” don’t love bacon. The goal of the writers and editors was to give a voice to the voiceless and it definitely accomplishes this.

Turning Points In Compassion
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Thimble's review? Post a comment saying so!
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
Lauren M
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-m.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts

Post by Lauren M »

Thanks for your great review! As the daughter in law of a farmer (who is very compassionate to animals) I think this would be a great read for me and him. I'll definitely pass it along. Also, I love books that have that photos and color changing font to help make a point or further educate.
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

Fantastic review! I definitely want to read this!
Serena [Poetree]
Currently Reading: Earthkeepers
Bookshelf Size: 638
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-poetree.html
Latest Review: "Ring of Fire" by Stevie Rae Causey

Post by Serena [Poetree] »

Great review! I do eat (sustainably raised) meat, but I'm passionate about sustainable agriculture and environmentalism. This sounds like a very interesting book!
Latest Review: "Ring of Fire" by Stevie Rae Causey
Thimble
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>

Post by Thimble »

Lauren M wrote:Thanks for your great review! As the daughter in law of a farmer (who is very compassionate to animals) I think this would be a great read for me and him. I'll definitely pass it along. Also, I love books that have that photos and color changing font to help make a point or further educate.
Thanks! Just to clarify, the different font colors are for the different headings. It does make everything look well-organized and neat, though.

-- 23 Sep 2016, 17:22 --
bruin wrote:Fantastic review! I definitely want to read this!
Thanks! That's awesome. :)

-- 23 Sep 2016, 17:24 --
Serena [Poetree] wrote:Great review! I do eat (sustainably raised) meat, but I'm passionate about sustainable agriculture and environmentalism. This sounds like a very interesting book!
Thanks! The extra links to research information in the book might be useful to you since you already have an interest.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
zero_macabre
Currently Reading: The Snowman
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zero-macabre.html
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller

Post by zero_macabre »

Seems like an insightful book! I'm adding this to my Want to Read list, definitely. Thank you for the great review!
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Fantastic review! I love your opening line.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like one great read. Though I prefer veggies over meat, I'm not vegan. This seems like a book that will make me reconsider my choice of diet :) Good job on the review. Congratulations to Gypsy Wulff and Fran Chambers on such a positive review.
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

Hmmm ... not a book I would typically choose to read. I very much enjoyed reading your review and it is so positive that I will consider the book! The compassion toward animals aspect of it is definitely appealing as well as all the stories from different perspectives.
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
Thimble

Post by Thimble »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like one great read. Though I prefer veggies over meat, I'm not vegan. This seems like a book that will make me reconsider my choice of diet :) Good job on the review. Congratulations to Gypsy Wulff and Fran Chambers on such a positive review.
Thanks! I'm more into fruit and bread over meat, but the book did inspire me to give veganism a try. Cheese is really addictive.

-- 27 Sep 2016, 18:04 --
Elaine5 wrote:Hmmm ... not a book I would typically choose to read. I very much enjoyed reading your review and it is so positive that I will consider the book! The compassion toward animals aspect of it is definitely appealing as well as all the stories from different perspectives.
I'm glad you enjoyed the review! I picked out the book to review because I was thinking about going vegan. As an animal lover, it was great to read about so many people that care about animals.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

This is a very well written review. Thank you for it :)
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I love reading about plant-based diets and our industrial farming system. I have made many changes in my food plan based on these ideas.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”