Official Review: Brief Encounters with Solitary Souls

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Brief Encounters with Solitary Souls

Post by Kia »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Brief Encounters with Solitary Souls" by Evy Journey.]

Brief Encounters with Solitary Souls by Evy Journey is a collection of short stories. As the name implies, these stories all focus on a theme of being alone, and range from the story of a man travelling to France by himself to the story of a young woman trying to cope with the loss of her beloved grandmother. Journey has managed to expand on a simple theme to create five very different stories, each focusing on a different kind of loneliness.

Each of the five stories has excellent style, spelling and grammar. I normally find with a collection that some stories will be better written than others, but that is certainly not the case with this collection. Each story manages to pull the reader in within the first few sentences, and finish with just enough questions left unanswered to leave the reader wanting more. To create a collection of short stories where each is as well written as the last is truly an accomplishment. I also found that the style remained similar between all the stories despite them being completely unique in nature. This makes transitioning from one story to the next a completely painless experience.

I particularly liked “A Few Fast Heartbeats”. This story is about the people involved in a multi-vehicle accident one night. It describes a couple coming home from the hospital, a father who thinks he may have had a little too much to drink, and a woman who has recently lost her husband. All of these people come together in a high speed collision that they are helpless to stop once it has begun. It describes how alone they all feel in that moment despite being surrounded by other people. This one is my favourites because of the complexity of entwining lives like that, and also the very specific example of feeling alone and helpless in the middle of a crisis.

The characters in each of the stories are relatable in some way. We have all felt alone at some point in our lives. It could be that we are literally alone, or maybe we feel alone in our grief. Perhaps we feel alone in the face of conflict, or maybe we feel alone because no one can understand us. I think each of us can relate to more than one of these situations, and that is what makes these stories so great to read.

Overall, I rate this collection 4 out of 4 stars. I found no mistakes in the writing and all the stories are attention grabbing and expertly written. Because there is going to be at least one story that a reader will be able to relate to, I would happily recommend Brief Encounters with Solitary Souls to anyone.

Brief Encounters with Solitary Souls
View: on Bookshelves

Like Kia's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Sounds interesting! Congrats to the author on such a good review! Thank you for sharing :)
Kia

Post by Kia »

AA1495 wrote:Sounds interesting! Congrats to the author on such a good review! Thank you for sharing :)
Thank you!
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

Wow this sounds really interesting. I always think stories where different people with such different backgrounds and lives come together and show how they actually do have something in common. Great review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Kia

Post by Kia »

CrescentMoon wrote:Wow this sounds really interesting. I always think stories where different people with such different backgrounds and lives come together and show how they actually do have something in common. Great review!
I absolutely agree! We all share the human experience. Thank you :)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great, thoughtful review. Although short stories are usually not my cup of tea, you made the book sound very interesting.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Kia

Post by Kia »

bookowlie wrote:Great, thoughtful review. Although short stories are usually not my cup of tea, you made the book sound very interesting.
Thanks, it is actually a really great collection.
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

Great review! I enjoy reading short stories and this one sounds like a great collection.
Kia

Post by Kia »

bruin wrote:Great review! I enjoy reading short stories and this one sounds like a great collection.
Thank you!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I am not fond of stories overall, but this sounds like a good collection. Thank you for the great review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Kia

Post by Kia »

gali wrote:I am not fond of stories overall, but this sounds like a good collection. Thank you for the great review!
Thank you, I really enjoyed it.
Lauren M
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-m.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts

Post by Lauren M »

That sounds really interesting! I enjoy short stories when I want to read something, but am feeling too lazy to read a whole book.
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts
Serena [Poetree]
Currently Reading: Earthkeepers
Bookshelf Size: 638
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-poetree.html
Latest Review: "Ring of Fire" by Stevie Rae Causey

Post by Serena [Poetree] »

Wow, I love the title, and it sounds like a great collection!
Latest Review: "Ring of Fire" by Stevie Rae Causey
Kia

Post by Kia »

Lauren M wrote:That sounds really interesting! I enjoy short stories when I want to read something, but am feeling too lazy to read a whole book.
I absolutely agree! And the short story can be so difficult to pull off so when it's executed properly it really is a treat.

-- 23 Sep 2016, 19:10 --
Serena [Poetree] wrote:Wow, I love the title, and it sounds like a great collection!
It really is! I love the title too. Super original :)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Great review, Kia! I find it hard to find a good anthology of short stories, but this one sounds like a good one! I think it helps when there is only one author contributing rather than a mix.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”