Official Review: The Stonegate Sword by Harry James Fox

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Serena [Poetree]
Currently Reading: Earthkeepers
Bookshelf Size: 638
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-poetree.html
Latest Review: "Ring of Fire" by Stevie Rae Causey

Official Review: The Stonegate Sword by Harry James Fox

Post by Serena [Poetree] »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Stonegate Sword" by Harry James Fox.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Stonegate Sword by Harry James Fox is a typical medieval epic fantasy novel, except for one detail: it is set in future North America.

It opens with teenaged Philip’s story, though after the beginning of the novel, his story is left off for one-third of the book, and then is reintroduced only to be included intermittently. His part in the tale is unclear even at the last page. Mostly, the book focuses on Donald of Fisher, a pacifist lore-man who becomes a man of war. He makes the transition surprisingly easily, with no remorse, self-doubt, or questions about becoming so violent. In fact, he doesn’t seem to have a strong opinion about anything, and shows very little emotion throughout the book. He does whatever he’s told almost without question and passively accepts whatever situation he finds himself in.

The plot is surprisingly lacking in this otherwise epic fantasy novel. Don doesn’t seem to have any goals, nothing that drives him, for the majority of the book. For a villain there is the Prophet—an anti-Christ figure (as far as I could tell)—as well as the Raiders who seem to be connected to him. This gives the characters something to fight against, but I was never really sure what they were fighting for!

After about halfway, The Stonegate Sword became a political, violent, boring, medieval military novel full of war strategy, and honestly, I couldn’t wait to finish it. To pour lemon juice on the wound, the few female characters were infuriatingly flat and cliché, even the “strong” female character. I also noticed a lot of errors, including missing periods and “horses’” repeatedly being written as “horse’s”. The ending, when I finally came to it, was neither satisfying nor a cliffhanger. It simply ended.

Though I have plenty to complain about, the book did have a few good qualities. Beautiful, well-written descriptions of the landscape serve as reminders of the unique setting, even if I never fully understood why that specific setting (or time period) was chosen. Additionally, the author clearly knows horses. His writing acknowledges that they don’t always act perfectly—aren’t simply a mode of transportation, like a machine. The horses in this novel balk at stream crossings and skitter sideways at unexpected things, which I greatly appreciated.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. Although it contained many errors, and I became increasingly bored as I read it, I did enjoy the first half of The Stonegate Sword, and I think others who appreciate war-heavy novels may like it more than I did.

The Stonegate Sword
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Serena [Poetree]'s review? Post a comment saying so!
zero_macabre
Currently Reading: The Snowman
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zero-macabre.html
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller

Post by zero_macabre »

It's a shame that the book had quite a number of flaws. This probably isn't my cup of tea too. Thank you for writing such an honest review!
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller
Serena [Poetree]

zero_macabre wrote:It's a shame that the book had quite a number of flaws. This probably isn't my cup of tea too. Thank you for writing such an honest review!
You're welcome! I really wanted to like this one; it had so much potential! I think maybe if the second half hadn't had quite so much detail I might have enjoyed it.
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

Hi Serena. It's too bad the book didn't turn out well. The setting sounds interesting. Great critical review. I find those to be really difficult to write.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
Serena [Poetree]

Thimble wrote:Hi Serena. It's too bad the book didn't turn out well. The setting sounds interesting. Great critical review. I find those to be really difficult to write.
Thanks, Thimble! Yes, it did have some great potential. I think fantasy lovers with more interest in battle tactics may appreciate the book more, but I just found it quite boring!
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

It's such a shame that it fell short, this seems like it could have been such a great book. Thank you for such an honest review.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
Serena [Poetree]

Kia wrote:It's such a shame that it fell short, this seems like it could have been such a great book. Thank you for such an honest review.
You're welcome, Kia! The first half, at least, was enjoyable... :)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”