Tori Wu

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
abasto123
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abasto123.html

Re: Tori Wu

Post by abasto123 »

To me in her own way Tori is a hero. She managed to save Tris from being murdered. She may have her own problems but she still helps certain people.
BColeman
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bcoleman.html
Latest Review: "Burn for Home" by Ash Elko

Post by BColeman »

I think Toru is a complicated character who is dealing with hurt the best way she knows how. That may seem like she is villainous, but she is not meaning to be a villain.
Latest Review: "Burn for Home" by Ash Elko
AlishaKennedy
Currently Reading: Frankenstein
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alishakennedy.html
Latest Review: "Campaigns Against the Olden" by Anna Faktorovich

Post by AlishaKennedy »

In my opinion Tori Wu is neither a hero or a villain.
Latest Review: "Campaigns Against the Olden" by Anna Faktorovich
pixieghoul6
Currently Reading: Black Night
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by pixieghoul6 »

She isn't a hero, but yet in some cases she is. She isn't a villain, yet in some cases she can be misconstrued into one. She has her own agenda, and isn't afraid to use her new found leadership to get there. She warns Tris to not tell anybody about being divergent, even tells her about her brother's death. She hold Jeannine responsible for the great and hatred that comes with being divergent.
The Book Reviewer
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24175">The Knife of Never Letting Go</a>
Currently Reading: The Humans
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-book-reviewer.html
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by The Book Reviewer »

Tori is neither hero nor villain, although she came from a broken background and hunted for revenge for the people who harmed her brother and incidentally, her. it just depends on what side of the story you're coming from. The word 'History' derives from 'His Story' because it just depended on who told the story as to who the bad and good sides were.
courtney8847
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtney8847.html

Post by courtney8847 »

I don't really think that Tori is either. She's really just a secondary character that contribute's to tris's journey.
doyle5
Currently Reading: Steelheart
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doyle5.html

Post by doyle5 »

Tori is the type of character who does bad thing for good reasons. she is one of the most complex and fascinating characters in the book.
fari30
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fari30.html

Post by fari30 »

Tori is quite the grey area I think. She does both heroic things but also very selfish things and I don't think it's fair to call her a villain or a hero. She's the middle area where most of us are
My weekend is all booked!
zero_macabre
Currently Reading: The Snowman
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zero-macabre.html
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller

Post by zero_macabre »

I don't think Tori was really one of the "stand-out" characters like Tris. (After all, Tris IS the main character.) She's just one of those characters who kind of guides Tris and helps her out sometimes along the way, but she isn't really a "hero" or "villain".
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

Would anti-hero be the correct term? She does some good, like not exposing Tris as Divergent, and some bad when she seeks revenge on those that hurt her brother (not that you can blame her). Her justice may not seem like a heroic act, but she does it for a good enough reason.
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

Hadiqa wrote: 11 Nov 2014, 08:37 She's a complicated person. In the beginning she appeared as good but then as bad but her motive remained the same, to avenge his brother.
She was complicated but I don't think that motive is necessarily a bad one. It might make her fall under more of an anti-hero category. But I might be biased because I can totally relate to that.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

She isnt a villain!! Not every character can be characterized based on their actions like that.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

She is definitely not a villain. She saved Tris and served as a mentor for her in times of struggle. Although she made bad choices in the end, she was still a hero for her sacrifices and efforts.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

She's not a villain. She's on the side of good but isn't the traditional character that has a hero complex. Tori is that character that wants justice and ended up being cannon fodder in the end. I liked her - she was helpful to Tobias and Tris yet still retained a sort of selfishness that made her want to seek revenge, though I could totally predict her fate from the onset.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

Tori isn't the goody two shoes hero - it would be supremely hard to be in that environment. She doesn't quite reach the level of anti-hero, however. All I can say is - be prepared for heartbreak.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”