Official Review: Errant Spark (Elemental Trials Book 1)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Official Review: Errant Spark (Elemental Trials Book 1)

Post by Paliden »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Errant Spark (Elemental Trials Book 1)" by Ronelle Antoinette.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Errant Spark is a romantic fantasy. It is deliciously long at 436 pages (although honestly, I wish it had been longer).

Wow.....just wow. I LOVED this book! Seriously, I can't rave about it enough. I am hoping beyond hope that book 2 is available or will be soon.

I read a lot of fantasy. A lot. So I wasn't expecting too much when I started reading this book. I mean, there are a lot of new fantasy writers out there and I have read many of them. I thought this would be something similar to many of those that I have read. It's not. Not in the least. This book kept me up until midnight turning pages to find out what was going to happen. I didn't eat lunch that day, because I couldn't take time from the story to go cook something. It's just that good.

Jex Xander is a new Battlemage. He is also quite cheeky. This gets him into trouble frequently. When Errant Spark starts, Jex is just arriving at the royal palace with his friend and mentor, Eryk Alcyon. Eryk is High Mage and also brother to Tora (or queen) Aelani. Jex meets Sarene, the daughter of Tor Brinon (king of Egalion) and is intrigued enough by the feisty minx to consider her a good challenge. However, he may have bit off more than he can chew. Sarene is used to getting her way, and Jex is used to speaking his mind. This does not mix well between the two of them. Remember, "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned".

Enari is a young novice to Kvinna (a healer) Vasi. Ironically enough, Enari has never spoken in her life. When the Tora reacts strangely to an unexpected pregnancy, the healer is called in to watch over Tora Aelani, and brings Enari with her. Jex is assigned as a bodyguard on their journey. From the first moment Jex meets Enari, they are drawn to each other. When Jex is cursed by an unknown witch, Enari is the only one that can help him. From there, things get really interesting. Someone is performing human sacrifices, but their purpose is unclear. Things escalate quickly with no end in sight. So many threads are in play, and if the wrong one breaks, everything will be lost.

There is so much more to this story than I can share in one review. So many amazing characters and side plots. This is truly an epic fantasy! There is only one problem that I found with the story, and I do feel that it is a minor one. When a character is thinking something, it is placed in quotation marks. As they are often thinking and talking at the same time, this can get confusing as to what they thought as opposed to what they said. I was able to figure out what was going on rather quickly and from there it was relatively easy to tell when the issue arose again. However, I would advise fixing this, as it may cause a problem for some readers. Overall, it is a minor issue and I do not want to detract from the rating based on that alone. I would like to note that this is intended for a mature audience.

If you enjoy Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson, Sarah J. Maas, and other writers of their ilk, you will love this story. The twist at the end left me completely speechless! I am waiting with bated breath to find out what happens next. I am giving this book 4 out of 4 stars!

Errant Spark (Elemental Trials Book 1)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Paliden's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Wonderful review! This fantasy sounds like a fantastic read! I love when authors write stories leaving the reader wanting more and this seems true in this case. Can't wait to give this one a try!
Congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review! :tiphat:
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

Great review! Congrats to the author! I downloaded the book today!
Paliden

Post by Paliden »

Thanks @hsimone!
smarter
Currently Reading: Everything, Everything
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smarter.html
Reading Device: B00OD01MO6

Post by smarter »

I don't read a lot of fantasy so I'm glad to know that this isn't like all the other books in the fantasy genre (as it isn't a genre that I'm particularly interested in). I'm excited to give this one a read, it sounds really interesting based on this review.
purplepeepleeater
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purplepeepleeater.html

Post by purplepeepleeater »

Great review, I have the book and it sounds like I might be reading it sooner than later!!! Thanks!!!
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

Great review. I'm not usually into fantasy books, but this sounds like it is worth checking out. It sounds like an exciting read.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I love your enthusiasm for this book. It really makes me want to read it. Great review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Paliden

Post by Paliden »

smarter wrote:I don't read a lot of fantasy so I'm glad to know that this isn't like all the other books in the fantasy genre (as it isn't a genre that I'm particularly interested in). I'm excited to give this one a read, it sounds really interesting based on this review.
Thanks! You will love it!

-- 09 Sep 2016, 10:50 --

@purplepeaeater, you should definitely read it sooner rather than later! :)
@anneloretrujillo, it was a very exciting read!
@Crescentmoon, thanks!!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, thorough review! The book seems like a good choice for fantasy lovers with interesting characters and a surprise twist at the end. It's high praise that you couldn't put the book down, even to make lunch!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
L Anthony Skelton
Favorite Author: Hugh Howey
Currently Reading: The Bulls of War
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2829

Post by L Anthony Skelton »

I will have to give this book a read. Thanks for the in-depth review.
signed
Bookshelf Size: 41

Post by signed »

Will give it a chance in a mood for fantasy, thanks for the pick for review

-- 09 Sep 2016, 11:06 --

Will give it a chance in a mood for fantasy, thanks for the pick for review
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Like you, i read a lot of fantasy and I've seen this one before but wasn't so sure about it. But now, you say it's definitely worth It! I must read it!
Radhika_17
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: The Alchemist
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radhika-17.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Radhika_17 »

The review looks great! The book sound exciting.
niahime roberts
Currently Reading: Errant Spark
Bookshelf Size: 493
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-niahime-roberts.html

Post by niahime roberts »

Thanks for the review. I also read a lot of fantasy so your review actually encouraged me to give this book a try. Thanks also for the heads up about the quotation marks, it will help when i finally read the book to know that these are thoughts and not actually said words.

I look forward to reading Errant Spark.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”