Official Review: Why You Won't Go to Hell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Why You Won't Go to Hell

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Why You Won't Go to Hell" by Benjamin Vande Weerdhof Andrews.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Why You Won't Go to Hell is a book under non-fiction genre written by Benjamin Vande Weerdhof Andrews .

The book, divided into five parts with each part divided into topics, is an organized compilation of entries on the author’s website titled A new insight into THE ORIGIN OF RELIGION. The website, and now the book, explains how religion came about and by that, the author does not mean the various religions we have today but how early humans, in their attempt to explain the world around them and the phenomena beyond their understanding, developed into belief in the supernatural and evolved into the religions we now know.

Right from the beginning of the book, the author makes it clear that his objective is not to convince people that religion is wrong (pg. x), but to offer explanation, based on common sense, on how religion developed. Moreover, the book warns people against pseudoscientists who take advantage of gullible people, mediums who claim they can talk to dead people and faith healers who claim to cure sickness through prayers and various concoctions. The author dismisses these as charlatans who capitalize on people’s belief in the supernatural.

In addition to the development of religion, the book also offers explanation on controversial issues like near death experience, extra sensory perception and life after death. It cites factual evidence negating that the Earth (according to the Bible) is 10,000 years old and expounds the inconsistency of the book of Genesis. It brings up the surprising similarities between descriptions of historical leaders and mythical gods with those of the Biblical god, as well as the similarity between the sky god Horus born from the virgin Isis and Jesus born from the virgin Mary.

Ultimately, the book contests the existence of the Biblical god and deities and other form of supernatural and everything that has no scientific proof. The author is an atheist who prefers to be called a ‘non-believer’ or an ‘unbeliever’ because of the stigma and misconceptions surrounding the term atheism.

For open minded readers, this book is a treasure trove of knowledge and information that the author diligently and passionately compiled. The inclusion of the posts by his website commenters makes the book even more interesting and thought-provoking. However, religious fanatics may find this book outrageous, offensive and blasphemous.

I, for one, sincerely enjoyed the book especially the information it imparts. I also appreciated the author’s keeping the writing short and simple making the book understandable for everyone. However, I noticed some errors which though not that many were somehow distracting like ‘with even with very low odds’, ‘Is this is the only proof’, ‘Let’s us examine’. Furthermore, there were topics and explanations that became repetitive throughout the book.

I, therefore, give this book the rate of 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to Christians as a book that may challenge their beliefs, and to non-believers who are searching for confirmation of their opinions. Keep in mind, though, that the author clearly stated that he was not trying to convert anyone (pg. 111).

Why You Won't Go to Hell
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

Great review! This book sounds interesting, but not really one I'd gravitate to. I also think I would be put-off by the errors and I appreciate you pointing them out.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Shelle wrote:Great review! This book sounds interesting, but not really one I'd gravitate to. I also think I would be put-off by the errors and I appreciate you pointing them out.
Thank you very much. It's a challenging book.
Shay Carter
Currently Reading: Asia's Financial Industry 1986-2016
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shay Carter »

The title caught my eye which lead me to read the write up. I have no doubt the author and myself share similar views however I find that this is one of those subjects that not only exposes your hand but makes you drop your cards all-over the table in a clumsy fashion.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Shay Carter wrote:The title caught my eye which lead me to read the write up. I have no doubt the author and myself share similar views however I find that this is one of those subjects that not only exposes your hand but makes you drop your cards all-over the table in a clumsy fashion.
Thank you for the comment. You may find this book enjoyable :)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”