Official Review: Shifting in the Realms by Theresa Snyder

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Official Review: Shifting in the Realms by Theresa Snyder

Post by L_Therese »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shifting in the Realms" by Theresa Snyder.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

For reasons I have never been able to articulate, I am not usually a fan of vampire books. Shape-shifters are more appealing to me, so I took a chance on Theresa Snyder’s novella Shifting in The Realms. From the very first page to the last, I was happy that I did. I simply started reading and couldn't stop until it was over.

Cody is basically an average sixteen year-old boy. He’s a little awkward, and he’s deeply invested in trying to figure out his place in the world. He also occasionally shapeshifts into an enormous, fluffy wolf, and he’s dead. So, he’s a normal kid, except for the dead bit and the part-time wolf deal. Ever since he killed a man and died in the process, Cody has been living in a mysterious, supernatural refuge known as The Realms. In The Realms, humans, vampires, shifters, and other supernatural creatures live in an uneasy truce. Cody’s agenda is to impress his new crush, keep his human best friend safe, and try not to get fired from his job. It’s a tall order, but Cody might be just the tall guy/giant wolf for the job.

The writing in this novella is excellent. There is just enough information about the various creatures and their mysterious home to allow the plot to unfold, but the reader is left with the impression that there is certainly more to learn. Since Shifting in The Realms is only book 1 in The Twin Cities Series, there’s plenty of time for more development and exploration of this new dimension. The pacing of the book is also spot on. Since Cody already dead when he is introduced to the reader, his backstory is fairly important. The author does an excellent job relating Cody’s story without boring the reader or sacrificing the book’s plot.

The tone of the novella is light-hearted without becoming too jokey. The story is told in the first person from Cody’s perspective, so his character infuses all of the narration. He matter-of-factly accepts his “life” for what it is. As he points out on the first page, what is the difference between handing a bloody rabbit to a vampire on guard duty and handing a cup of coffee to police officer? The beauty of Cody’s narration is that not only does the reader have an interesting voice to explain this supernatural world but Cody’s character is also being revealed in every paragraph. The reader will know and undoubtedly love Cody within the first few chapters (if not sooner).

It is my great pleasure to rate Shifting in The Realms by Theresa Snyder 4 out of 4 stars. This is a short book and a very quick read, but anyone would like it. It is appropriate for both younger and more mature readers, and it is so much fun that even readers who do not normally enjoy supernatural or paranormal books might want to try this one. Cody is a treasure, and his adventures are sure to be entertaining for everyone. I am very glad I gave this book a chance, and I hope many readers will follow suit.

Shifting in the Realms
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like L_Therese's review? Post a comment saying so!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like an enjoyable book with a fascinating character. I am so intrigued by the character being dead at the very beginning of the story. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Theresa Snyder.
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

Great review, it sounds like a fun book. I have never been huge on vampire either- I always found werewolves more interesting. I think that I will have to add this one to my "to read" list.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
braver
Currently Reading: Playing Big
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braver.html
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by braver »

This story sounds like an original take on the genre. Good review!
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan
catmomma
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by catmomma »

L_Therese, Thanks for the great review. I love shifter books, but it's difficult to find ones that aren't too explicit/erotic. This sounds great, going to look for it now.
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Post by mratdegraff91 »

This sounds like it will be a very good read! I really enjoy reading paranormal books on shifters and occasionally vampires. The way you described Cody being dead at the start of the story has me extremely curious. I will be adding this to my to read shelf. Thank you for your honest opinion and for sharing your review.
Madison Degraffenreid
L_Therese

Post by L_Therese »

mratdegraff91 wrote:This sounds like it will be a very good read! I really enjoy reading paranormal books on shifters and occasionally vampires. The way you described Cody being dead at the start of the story has me extremely curious. I will be adding this to my to read shelf. Thank you for your honest opinion and for sharing your review.
I always love it when my review inspires someone to add the book to their "to read" shelf. Awesome!
cheryltkn
Currently Reading: Dark Wolf
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryltkn.html
Latest Review: "Sunspots" by Gary Martin

Post by cheryltkn »

This was a great review. I prefer shapeshifters to vampires too but this review made me think again and I want it. Thanks for the advice.
Latest Review: "Sunspots" by Gary Martin
Silvermoon
Currently Reading: That Place of Knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvermoon.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Silvermoon »

Sounds like a good book, although I cringed at the thought of handing over a bloody rabbit in lieu of a cup of coffee. Interesting review. Good job!
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
L_Therese

Post by L_Therese »

Silvermoon wrote:Sounds like a good book, although I cringed at the thought of handing over a bloody rabbit in lieu of a cup of coffee. Interesting review. Good job!
Yeah, I'd rather have (and serve) coffee than dead rabbits too. But then again, I'm not a vampire! Thanks for the comment. :)
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review! Sounds like a wonderful read!
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
dina s
Currently Reading: Taken - A Many Lives Story
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by dina s »

I am a hugh fan of all things in this book and hope to read it very soon.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Glad you enjoyed reading the book. Thank you for the great review!
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

This looks like a great book, what's not to like about vampires and shape shifters. I love shifter books and this looks like it's right up my àlley. Congratulations to you on being BOTD!
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

I love your hilarious summary of the book! I'm a big fan of urban fantasy and this sounds like an awesome addition to my to-read list!
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”