Official Review: Sabbatical of the Mind by David L. Winters

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Sabbatical of the Mind by David L. Winters

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sabbatical of the Mind" by David L. Winters.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sabbatical of the Mind: The Journey from Anxiety to Peace by David L. Winters is a recount of the author’s untimely but very much needed break from the overwhelming pressure of everyday life.

Bored by the same job he has been doing for the Navy for more than 20 years, David starts looking for a job and gets fortunate to be accepted as a division director for a three-letter government agency. However, shortly after starting with his new job, David feels a burning pain in his rear end and eventually ends up in the emergency room of Holy Cross Hospital. He is later diagnosed with diabetes. Furthermore, he starts having panic attacks and that is on top of his fear of heights. As if that is not enough, he also breaks his pubic rami while out for dinner with a friend. One day, after another panic attack and inspired by the songs of Judy Dagraedt, David realizes that he lacks peace in his life and needs some personal time alone with God. So, six years before being eligible for retirement, David decided to go on a sabbatical.

With a foreword by Pastor Steve Reynolds of the Capitol Baptist Church, the book is divided into three major parts: Part I: Chased by Anxiety, Part II: Stopping to Find Answers and Part III: Bouncing Back with Love.The first part describes the author’s distress over numerous health problems, acrophobia and seemingly unfounded panic attacks which lead to his decision to go on a sabbatical after considering three very important points: God’s will, paying bills and his career. The second part chronicles the entire sabbatical and the third recounts how the author emerges and puts the result of his respite to the test.

Overall, the book is great and I enjoyed reading it. It is inspiring, encouraging, entertaining and, at times, funny. It is engaging that while at it, the reader may start thinking about his or her own life and what to do with it. I also find it enlightening that as I join the author in his journey, I even shed a tear at the part when he realized how much God loves him. It was probably not meant to be an emotional scene but it was touching for me, nonetheless. The writing is casual and lively it feels like the author is talking to the reader over a cup of coffee.

However, I had a difficult time following the order of things. Not only once did I find it hard to figure out when a particular event happened. The numerous flashbacks did not help either and made it even more confusing, to me. Moreover, ‘Losing to Live’ weight loss program was mentioned several times within the entire book but I did not find any particular scene with the author in it or while at it. Finally, I noticed several errors in the book including misspelled words, missing words and obvious typo errors.

I, therefore, give this book the rate of 3 out of 4 stars and I recommend it to everyone especially those who feel burnt out with the pressure of a busy and unfulfilled life.

Sabbatical of the Mind
View: on Bookshelves

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
braver
Currently Reading: Playing Big
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braver.html
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by braver »

Thanks for the review. Would you recommend the book to someone who is not religious?
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

braver wrote:Thanks for the review. Would you recommend the book to someone who is not religious?
Yes, I would recommend it to readers who are not religious. Another good thing about this book is that though it is mainly focused on the author's daily devotional, it also describes other activities like walking around and chatting with the neighbors, driving around to perform some errands, reading books and taking naps, which apparently helped him get better. These activities are beneficial to both religious and non-religious, and even non-believers, if I may add.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Not my cup of tea, but I am glad you enjoyed the book errors and all. Thank you for the great review.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

gali wrote:Not my cup of tea, but I am glad you enjoyed the book errors and all. Thank you for the great review.
Thank you very much. It's a very enjoyable book.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

This sounds like a heart-warming story. I think it's interesting when people take a break from reality to focus on themselves and life in general. Sounds like a great read. Great review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

CrescentMoon wrote:This sounds like a heart-warming story. I think it's interesting when people take a break from reality to focus on themselves and life in general. Sounds like a great read. Great review!
Thank you very much. Yes, it is a very heart-warming story :)
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Great review. The book sounds like an interesting introspective journey. The errors and flashbacks sound like they would be extremely frustrating to read.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

bluemel4 wrote:Great review. The book sounds like an interesting introspective journey. The errors and flashbacks sound like they would be extremely frustrating to read.
Thank you very much. It is a wonderful book except for those :)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I enjoyed reading your review, kimmyschemy06! It sounds like a pretty inspirational read. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it despite the errors that occurred! :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

hsimone wrote:I enjoyed reading your review, kimmyschemy06! It sounds like a pretty inspirational read. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it despite the errors that occurred! :)
Thank you. It is inspirational and I enjoyed it a lot :)
NoRo9608
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by NoRo9608 »

This sounds like an enticing read. In our society it seems as though we all, at one time or another, begin to question our life's path and how we will continue our lives. This sounds like an intriguing journey of how one man changed his destiny. Thank you for the review!
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

NoRo9608 wrote:This sounds like an enticing read. In our society it seems as though we all, at one time or another, begin to question our life's path and how we will continue our lives. This sounds like an intriguing journey of how one man changed his destiny. Thank you for the review!
Thank you for your comment. It is actually a journey of how one man overcame his anxiety and other health problems by taking a break and communing with God.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed your well-written, balanced review. I also find flashbacks frustrating if the time frame isn't clear. Glad you liked the book despite the issues you mentioned.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

bookowlie wrote:I enjoyed your well-written, balanced review. I also find flashbacks frustrating if the time frame isn't clear. Glad you liked the book despite the issues you mentioned.
Thank you. It is actually a great book despite the issues :)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”