Official Review: Creole Moon The Betrayal by S.T. Holmes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Creole Moon The Betrayal by S.T. Holmes

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Creole Moon The Betrayal" by S.T. Holmes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Creole Moon, The Betrayal is a supernatural novel written by S. T. Holmes.

Told in the third person perspective, the book is about Sgt. George Francis Genois, an officer of the Confederate Army. Set in Louisiana sometime in 1800s, the story begins at the eve of Gerald’s wedding. Gerald is George’s twin brother who marries his beloved Annabel. Unlike Gerald, George has a strong aversion to the idea of marriage. On Gerald’s wedding day, George stealthily leaves the festive celebration and ends up in town where he finds himself under a spell. The spell makes him fall in love with Jewella, half-sister to his childhood friend Robert. Overjoyed to see his friend again after a long time, Robert invites George to dinner. The dinner ends up with George asking for Jewella’s hand in marriage. Aware that he is under a strong love spell, otherwise he would not get himself in such a situation, George tries to put things right by talking to Jewella alone, but every time they are together, George hears imaginary drum beats and he ends up courting Jewella even more passionately. Before the wedding took place, however, Jewella is seized by authorities for subversive activities. George looks for anyone who can help Jewella. Finding none, he tries to solicit the help of Mamuska, the Charmer, and his wife Ophelia, who live by the swamp.

The book started off as very interesting and remained so until the last page. The author had a way with words that made the story suspenseful, creepy and at times, scary. The descriptions of the setting, whether the swamp or the city, were vivid and eerie.

However, though the book had a very interesting plot, the multiple subplots made the story somehow convoluted. Moreover, back stories on the characters were not provided. I also believe that George’s was the only developed character. Even Jewella, who I consider to be a main protagonist since she was George’s love interest, was not fully developed nor was a back story on her lineage supplied.

Furthermore, I noticed several errors throughout the entire book like using ‘guess’ instead of ‘guest’, ‘mean instead of men’ and ‘dinning instead of dinner’, among others. Those errors, on one hand, can be easily corrected. The back stories, on the other hand, may (or may not) be provided on the next book, Creole Moon, Book of Roots. The fact that this book is part of a series was mentioned at the very end of the book and since there was no reference to prior events, I assume this book, Creole Moon, The Betrayal, is the first in the series.

I give this book the rating of 3 out of 4 stars. Though I enjoyed reading the book and it kept me absorbed the whole time I was reading it, I would still prefer it if the author included back stories on the characters especially on Jewella since she played a very important role not just in George’s but also in the Charmer’s life. Still, this is a very interesting and enjoyable book and I recommend it to fans of supernatural and suspense novels.

Creole Moon The Betrayal
View: on Bookshelves

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds good! ! I'm glad you were able to enjoy the book despite the issues you mentioned. Good job on the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

gali wrote:Sounds good! ! I'm glad you were able to enjoy the book despite the issues you mentioned. Good job on the review!
Thank you. It's a very interesting book.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, thoughtful review. I don't usually like books are too creepy and scary, but the plot does sound interesting.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

bookowlie wrote:Nice, thoughtful review. I don't usually like books are too creepy and scary, but the plot does sound interesting.
Thank you. I'm not much into creepy books, either, but I enjoyed this one nonetheless :)
KAV
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kav.html
Latest Review: "Angelica" by Clabe Polk

Post by KAV »

This is probably not my type of book. Good job on the review, though.
Latest Review: "Angelica" by Clabe Polk
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

KAV wrote:This is probably not my type of book. Good job on the review, though.
Thank you!
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

The story sounds interesting, I wonder if I would be able to get past the undeveloped characters, though. Great review!
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

barb429 wrote:The story sounds interesting, I wonder if I would be able to get past the undeveloped characters, though. Great review!
Thank you very much.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I enjoyed reading your review, kimmyschemy06! I'm not sure if this is a read for me, but I'm glad that you were able to enjoy and were able to be absorbed! :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

hsimone wrote:I enjoyed reading your review, kimmyschemy06! I'm not sure if this is a read for me, but I'm glad that you were able to enjoy and were able to be absorbed! :)
Thank you. It's an interesting read.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”