Official Review: James & the Dragon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: James & the Dragon

Post by gali »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "James & the Dragon" by Theresa Snyder.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

James & the Dragon is a fantastic children's fantasy book written by Theresa Snyder. I love books about dragons, so was happy to read this book. This is first book in the Farloft Chronicles and a great introduction to the series I have to say. With a story told from multiple points of view, an eloquent writing, a well-constructed world, and larger than life protagonists, we have here a spellbinding tale.

The book is set in a fantasy realm and its main protagonist is a centuries old dragon named Farloft. Farloft lives in a mountain top retreat and stays aloof of human affairs. Plague is ravaging the land and its people, killing many in the process. Laval, the king's wizard, tries to stop the plague to no avail. He asked the dragon for a piece of his wing, so he could concoct a cure for the disease. Unfortunately there is a bad blood between the two, due to a past transgression of the wizard, so the dragon refuses at first. Meanwhile, down in the village a ten-year-old orphan James nearly drowns in a bog. James is saved in the nick of time by Farloft and stays awhile at the dragon's lair. The two becomes fast friends and the dragon regales the boy with intriguing stories to pass away the time. The book then takes an unexpected turn when the wizard, blaming the dragon for his sorrows, secretly plots to get back at the dragon. Take an irresistible dragon, add one lonely boy, throw in a sneaky wizard, and what you get is an awesome tale!

I found the book to contain an original premise and interesting enough characters to drive the plot. The alternating character point of views certainly helped endearing the characters to the reader. The characters are developed so well that you are immediately pulled in and root for them. I loved it that the characters were so lifelike and flawed, and that even the villain of the piece (aka the wizard) had some redeeming qualities.

The book doesn't delve too deeply into dragon lore, but it teases us with enough tidbits to keep us on the edge. It was not as action packed as I expected it to be, but the strong characters more than make up for it. Perhaps the plot is a bit simplistic, but I still found it a gripping tale. The author does a superb job of drawing you in. The interwoven stories found in the book add to its charm. The book tackles life-changing themes and other worthy moral lessons such as friendship, loyalty, love, honor, and good vs. evil. The kids will learn that "the best lesson learned is one learned from mistakes," and that one has to be careful what he wishes for.

James & The Dragon's adventures are a delightful romp through a well-developed fantasy world. Despite it being a short book, Theresa Snyder made it seem like I was in a different world altogether. This short, well-written book packs a big punch, and the twist at the end was a nice touch. I found this a refreshing read, so rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I loved the book and definitely looking forward to reading more in the series. I would recommend the book to middle grade kids and up who love unique dragon tales and fantasy adventure.

James & the Dragon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like gali's review? Post a comment saying so!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your review. I like that the villain has some good qualities rather than having characters that are all good or all bad. The plot sounds great, especially for dragon lovers. :) Glad you enjoyed the book!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:I enjoyed reading your review. I like that the villain has some good qualities rather than having characters that are all good or all bad. The plot sounds great, especially for dragon lovers. :) Glad you enjoyed the book!
Thank you. It is a good book for kids and its language is clean, always a bonus. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I also like the cover artwork. It's very simple and classy.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Love a good middle-grade fantasy! Going to add this to my TBR list.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
gali

Post by gali »

Rachaelamb1 wrote:Love a good middle-grade fantasy! Going to add this to my TBR list.
Cool! Enjoy! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 557
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Excellent review, gali! I love when an author can lure you into his/her fantasy world. I'm glad that you enjoyed what seems to be a great read! :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

Great review, I really enjoyed reading it! This sounds like a great book, I have a niece starting middle school who I think would enjoy this tale as she is a fan of dragons.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Great review! That was enjoyable to read, and sounds like a great book!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
gali

Post by gali »

Thank you. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like an enjoyable book with delightful characters. I also like books about dragon and I hope I get the chance to read this one. Great job on the review. Congratulations to heresa Snyder.
gali

Post by gali »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like an enjoyable book with delightful characters. I also like books about dragon and I hope I get the chance to read this one. Great job on the review. Congratulations to heresa Snyder.
Thank you and it is an enjoyable book. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

A great review, gali! This sounds like the kind of book adults would enjoy while reading it to their kids. I'll recommend it to my daughter, who is a fan of dragons--I think she would love getting this for my grandson.
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
gali

Post by gali »

MsMartha wrote:A great review, gali! This sounds like the kind of book adults would enjoy while reading it to their kids. I'll recommend it to my daughter, who is a fan of dragons--I think she would love getting this for my grandson.
Thank you. I believe he will enjoy it. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

catmomma
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by catmomma »

Gali, Thanks for the great review. I also love dragons, this sounds like a book I'd like even though I'm a little bit older than the target age lol!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”