Official Review: Truth Unveiled by Kim Cleary

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Truth Unveiled by Kim Cleary

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Truth Unveiled" by Kim Cleary.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Truth Unveiled is the second book of the Daughter of Ravenswood Series by Kim Cleary.

Told in the first person perspective, the story is about Meagan Greystone, a girl from St. Stephen’s orphanage who recently discovered her lineage, as she settles in her newly inherited Ravenswood Manor. Meagan, formerly called Judy, is a descendant of the Mundy Family, a family of notable sorcerers, witches and necromancers.

Feeling responsible for the death of Carrie’s brother, Meagan visits Carrie and her two small children in Winterhurst. Her visit leads to the discovery that Carrie is missing and is suspected to have been turned into an undead. In order to ensure the safety of the children, Meagan uses her power, which surprisingly grows stronger than it used to be. It is at this time that Meagan hears a strange voice in her head, a voice that she eventually learns to belong to Quintus Mundy, her great-great-grandfather, an extremely powerful necromancer who built Ravenswood Manor two hundred years ago.

For some reasons, Quintus still claims Ravenswood for himself. Meanwhile, some bizarre phenomena start to happen around Meagan. First, Purah, her otherworldly tutor, feels threatened by creatures from his world, apparently hunting him down. Second, a poltergeist wreaks havoc in her friend Shelley’s inn. Third, her father fades away right before her eyes. Meagan is now compelled to use earth magic and necromancy to bring back her father from the Shadow Glades and to protect her friends and the community from an incredibly powerful necromancer.

This is one very enjoyable book. Though the subject appears to be necromancy and magic, the author emphasizes the importance of friendship and family. The book implies that family is not necessarily those who share your blood but those who are with you at your best and at your worst and those who stay with you when you are at your strongest as well as at your weakest. The story is actually about various kinds of love: fatherly, daughterly, friendly, romantic and even love for power.

In addition to the great plot is the top rate descriptions which are so vivid making Ravenswood Manor a creepy and chilling but magnificent place. Winterhurst can be easily visualized with its town hall, police station, inn and cemetery.

The author created a set of memorable characters: Meagan is a naïve but powerful new necromancer. She loves her father and her friends more than anything and she is willing to do everything for them. Capt. Glynn Buckley is the charming and heroic police captain who adores Meagan. Purah is the enigmatic tutor from another world who helps Meagan develop her power and Lyken is the loyal and lovable imp who shares everything with his mistress.

However, I find the pacing of the story a little dragging and the reference to the events that happened in book one slows down the reading. Moreover, I find Meagan too stubborn which makes her less smart for such a powerful protagonist.

I, therefore, give this book the rate of 4 out of 4 stars and I recommend it to fans of fantasy and dark magic novels. However, some scenes (mostly killing) in this book may not be suitable for very young readers.

Truth Unveiled
View: on Bookshelves

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Glad to see a nice rating, sounds like a good read!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

klbradley wrote:Glad to see a nice rating, sounds like a good read!
It, sure, is :)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Very detailed review, kimmyschy06! This definitely sounds like a book that I would enjoy! I'm not much into necromancy, but I do enjoy magic and stories that are developed with a focus on the importance of family and friends.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

hsimone wrote:Very detailed review, kimmyschy06! This definitely sounds like a book that I would enjoy! I'm not much into necromancy, but I do enjoy magic and stories that are developed with a focus on the importance of family and friends.
Thank you. This is one very enjoyable book :)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for the thorough review. Necromancy is not really my cup of tea, but the plot and characters do seem interesting.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

bookowlie wrote:Thanks for the thorough review. Necromancy is not really my cup of tea, but the plot and characters do seem interesting.
Thank you. They are very interesting.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds interesting, though I am not sure it is for me due to the slow-pace. I am glad you enjoyed it.
Thank you for the great review. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

gali wrote:Sounds interesting, though I am not sure it is for me due to the slow-pace. I am glad you enjoyed it.
Thank you for the great review. :)
Thank you very much. It's a great book.
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

Sounds like an interesting book. I love magic, but I would be concerned about the pacing. It is definitely one that I will keep in mind.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

barb429 wrote:Sounds like an interesting book. I love magic, but I would be concerned about the pacing. It is definitely one that I will keep in mind.
Yes, it is very interesting. I hope you get to read it and enjoy it as much as I did :)
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I like the sound of this book already. I also love how even though there's magic in the story the main theme is family and loyalty. It sounds heartwarming. Great review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

CrescentMoon wrote:I like the sound of this book already. I also love how even though there's magic in the story the main theme is family and loyalty. It sounds heartwarming. Great review!
Thank you very much. It is a lovely book :)
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

I really liked reading your review! Once you mentioned the small town feel of the book, I immediately started visualizing these magical events unfolding! Thank you and congrats to the author!
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

tarafarah7 wrote:I really liked reading your review! Once you mentioned the small town feel of the book, I immediately started visualizing these magical events unfolding! Thank you and congrats to the author!
Thank you! It was a very enjoyable read :)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”