Official Review: Naked Ambition by Rick Pullen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Naked Ambition by Rick Pullen

Post by e-tasana-williams »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Naked Ambition" by Rick Pullen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Naked Ambition by Rick Pullen

Lies, drugs, sex, espionage, murder, corruption, double-dealings, greed and calculated manipulation are what you will find in Naked Ambition, the excellent political thriller by author Rick Pullen. At first the book is a bit confusing due to the rapid introduction of several characters and situations, but the reader catches on soon enough.

New Jersey Senator David Bayard, the Republican presidential candidate and head of the Senate Armed Services Committee, is suspected of taking bribes from potential Pentagon contracts and using the money to bankroll his presidential campaign. Daniel Fahy of the Justice Department Public Integrity Section contacts investigative reporter Beck Rikki to do an expose on Bayard. Beck, who has the reputation of being the Post-Examiner's most relentless reporter, is eager for a long overdue investigative assignment. Add in the head of the Justice Department, an aged adulterous senator, his restless young nudist wife, an ice-cold assassin, and the beautiful backdrop of Grand Cayman, and you have the makings of this exciting novel you won't want to put down until the last page is read.

There are some nice added touches in the book. For example, Pullen winks at U.S. political history by incorporating characters with names similar to real people. Bob Woodard instead of Watergate reporter Bob Woodward, and Barry Marion instead of disgraced former Chicago mayor Marion Barry, will catch the attention of readers familiar with the actual figures.

Pullen's experience in Washington D.C.'s fickle publishing industry shines through every aspect of the story. He also expertly portrays the culture of the D.C. elite--disingenuous relationships, favors in exchange for favors, everyone for oneself, and the love of money and power at the center of it all. He gives a jaded but accurate portrait of our nation's capital.

People who enjoy political thrillers will love this book. Readers who tend to avoid sexual content may not like this novel, as there are several steamy scenes included.

This is an enjoyable engaging read that the reader will have a hard time putting down until the last lines are devoured. Pullen writes vivid characters the reader can envision. He uses third person omniscient narration which facilitates the conveyance of complex thoughts and suspicions each character has of the others. The reader's loyalties will change several times as the plot unfolds. Players once seen as heroes are later viewed as villains, and finally as master manipulators in a world based on illusion.

Due to file errors in the electronic format of the novel, pages 111 and 268 are not available for reading, and the text goes in and out of focus which is distracting. Other than that there are less than a handful of edits required, which is impressive for a book 438 pages long.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Read it! And then look forward to other books in the Naked series which are sure to be just as thrilling as Naked Ambition.

Naked Ambition
View: on Bookshelves

Like Eatsleaves's review? Post a comment saying so!
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Nice review! Glad to hear that you enjoyed it, although it is a bit annoying when there are random pages missing.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

Nice review. Although it is probably not my type of book, I do have some friends who enjoy political thrillers. It may be one that I recommend!
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:

klbradley wrote:Nice review! Glad to hear that you enjoyed it, although it is a bit annoying when there are random pages missing.
Thank you! Yes it was annoying...it left me wondering how much I missed by not being able to read those pages. Bit the story was still enjoyable.
fallenechoes
Currently Reading: Doomed Soul
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by fallenechoes »

Good review. While I'm not a fan of political thrillers this does sound like an interesting book. Well done!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like an awesome book, seems intriguing, fast-paced and action filled. Though I'm not much into politics, this sounds like a really good read. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Rick Pullen.
ashnance
Currently Reading: The Secret History
Bookshelf Size: 334
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashnance.html

Post by ashnance »

Great review! I love a book where not everything is as it seems, and it sounds like this "world based on illusion" would offer just that. I suppose I should look for this one in print though - I'm not sure I could handle missing pages!
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:

Yes, please read it and enjoy it. ..reading this one in print may be the way to go due to the missing pages!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”