Official Review: Fallen Sun by Harule Stokes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Fallen Sun by Harule Stokes

Post by barb429 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fallen Sun" by Harule Stokes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In times of war nations look to build the strongest, most effective weapons and soldiers possible. In Harule Stokes’ novel Fallen Sun, the Northern Alliance, at war with their southern neighbors the Keynosians, has turned people into weapons. Volunteers are made stronger, faster, and more resilient through a process of genetic manipulation. Jocelyn is one such volunteer. Prior to the war, she had been a teacher, but now she has become a warrior referred to as a Finger of God (FOG). Together with her sisters in arms, Ophelia (another FOG) and Patricia (a “normal”),Jocelyn fights for her nation.

There are some downsides to being a FOG. Over time, many of the FOGs find themselves losing touch with reality. They must then be put into stasis and given anti-psychotics for a time in order to recover. Although all FOGs recognize that this madness will eventually happen (and Ophelia has already experienced it several times), it is something that Jocelyn fears. Jocelyn also worries about what may happen to the FOGs after the battle is won.

Fallen Sun takes place towards the end of the war. The Northern Alliance believes that they are close to winning, but the Keynosians keep fighting using their own genetically modified soldiers - the Guardsmen. Although the Guardsmen lack the strength and healing powers of the FOGs, the Keynosians are also developing new weaponry, and the soldiers on both sides soon realize that these final battles may be much more difficult than they had expected. This realization leads the Alliance to make some desperate, ill-advised decisions.

The characters in Fallen Sun are not one dimensional; we can understand them and love them as they love one another. From the very beginning I cared about the characters and wanted to know what would become of them. The sisterhood between Ophelia, Joceyln and Patricia is touching. Their relationship always feels genuine; I never felt myself question the friendship or love that these women had for one another. I laughed as well as cried with them.

This is a great science-fiction novel. Fallen Sun is written very beautifully, with an interesting plot, some great actions scenes, and striking imagery. It also makes the reader consider all the perspectives of the combatants fighting in the war by presenting the enemy sympathetically. Along the way Jocelyn begins thinking about this war and what it really means to all of those involved. I give Fallen Sun 4 out of 4 stars. I think that it would be an enjoyable read for anybody who enjoys dystopian fiction.

Fallen Sun
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like barb429's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Sounds like an interesting book! I like the whole idea of the FOG's. And the relationship between the women sounds touching. Thanks for the review!
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
hstokes287
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by hstokes287 »

Wow... just wow. I'm honored to my core to have received such a great review. Thank you so much for taking the time to read and review my novel.
barb429

Post by barb429 »

hstokes287 wrote:Wow... just wow. I'm honored to my core to have received such a great review. Thank you so much for taking the time to read and review my novel.
You're welcome- it really was a fantastic read!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like a great science-fiction novel. Thank you for the lovely review.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I love when a book can make you feel for the characters. It becomes so much more personal and enjoyable. Wonderful review, barb429! I'm glad you enjoyed the read. :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
barb429

Post by barb429 »

Thank you! It was a very enjoyable book, I really loved the characters.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I don't read a lot of science-fiction books, but I like that you mentioned the characters are well developed. You've made me interested enough to take a look at the Amazon sample. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Wow! I love the book already. It sounds very interesting and enjoyable. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Harule Stokes on such an obviously well-written book.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”