Official Review: Running to Stand Still by J Theron

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Running to Stand Still by J Theron

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Running to Stand Still" by J Theron.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Running to Stand Still is a story of love written by J Theron. It is divided into four parts and each part is introduced by a first person narration while each chapter is told in the third person.

The story is about Danielle Rousseau and Michael le Roux who met each other when they were 15 and 18 years old, respectively. They spent the summer together swimming, snorkelling and talking about their future plans and dreams: Danielle’s was to be a cardiothoracic surgeon while Michael’s was to study art in Paris. That beautiful summer abruptly came to an end when Michael left for the army.

When he came back, however, he seemed to be a completely different person, cold and distant and not the friendly and warm boy Danielle spent some time with. After an incident that rocked Danielle’s world, Michael walked away and they did not see each other for ten years.

Danielle, after being offered residency in Groote Schuur Hospital, was spending some time alone in Avignon when she accidentally came across Michael, now a successful painter. He offered to show her around and she gratefully accepted.

The book describes the delicious feeling of being in love for the first time as well as the bitterness and pain of losing that love. Personally, I think the best part of the book is the plot. I find it very realistic. First, Danielle’s decision to date other guys when Michael walked away is sensible. It is the logical and matured thing to do. Instead of wallow in despair for the loss of her first love, she gave herself a chance to fall in love with someone else. Second, though it may sound dishonorable, I agree with Michael when he pursued Danielle in Avignon despite the fact that he knew she was already engaged. He had a chance and he seized it.

In addition to the realistic plot are the admirable and endearing characters. Danielle is smart and brave that she is woman enough to tell her fiancé that she is in love with someone else. It is, for me, the right thing to do and the right thing to say and not the lame ‘it’s not you it’s me’ excuse trying to soften up the blow of a messy break up. Michael loves very generously that he is willing to sacrifice for the one he loves. First, he walked away doing what he thought was right and second, he gave Danielle a choice when he said ‘Even though it would kill me to watch you walk away, I would let you go if I knew it was the best for you..’

This is probably one of the best stories of love I have read so far. However, I noticed some misspelled words in the book which are, thankfully, very few and did not detract the smooth flow of the story.

I, therefore, give this book the rate of 4 out of 4 stars and I recommend it to those who appreciate and enjoy romantic novels and love stories. However, there are scenes in the book which are not suitable for young readers.

Running to Stand Still
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Lovely review kimmyschemy06! I will have to pick up a copy of this book!
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

TrishaAnn92 wrote:Lovely review kimmyschemy06! I will have to pick up a copy of this book!
Thank you. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, thoughtful review! I like the fact that the plot is realistic. Too many romance novels have plots that are too cutesy.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

bookowlie wrote:Nice, thoughtful review! I like the fact that the plot is realistic. Too many romance novels have plots that are too cutesy.
Exactly! Thank you very much.
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

Great review :)
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sarah G wrote:Great review :)
Thank you very much..
TravelingJJ
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by TravelingJJ »

This review definitely piqued my interest and has me going to check it out
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

TravelingJJ wrote:This review definitely piqued my interest and has me going to check it out
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
lmoses
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmoses.html
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Post by lmoses »

This book sounds really good and interesting, thank you for a great review. I will be sure to add it to my list of re-read's for the summer!
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

lmoses wrote:This book sounds really good and interesting, thank you for a great review. I will be sure to add it to my list of re-read's for the summer!
Thank you. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Great review, kimmyschemy06! I love when authors are able to capture their characters' feelings in such a realistic way. This sounds like a book that I would enjoy. I'm going to add it to my to-read list. Thank you!
Congratulations to the author for receiving such a wonderful review! :tiphat:
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

hsimone wrote:Great review, kimmyschemy06! I love when authors are able to capture their characters' feelings in such a realistic way. This sounds like a book that I would enjoy. I'm going to add it to my to-read list. Thank you!
Congratulations to the author for receiving such a wonderful review! :tiphat:
Thank you very much. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)
batkinson6490
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone Illustrated Edition
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-batkinson6490.html
Latest Review: "High Hopes" by Sue Lilley
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by batkinson6490 »

bookowlie wrote:Nice, thoughtful review! I like the fact that the plot is realistic. Too many romance novels have plots that are too cutesy.
Yes yes yes!! I agree 100%. I like the more realistic reviews and story lines over the same ole' same ole' stuff. Lets mix it up and break some hearts! Then lets cry and wonder why the author did that but understand, it's a bit more believable. :D :D
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times when one only remembers to turn on the light."
Latest Review: "High Hopes" by Sue Lilley
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

batkinson6490 wrote:
Yes yes yes!! I agree 100%. I like the more realistic reviews and story lines over the same ole' same ole' stuff. Lets mix it up and break some hearts! Then lets cry and wonder why the author did that but understand, it's a bit more believable. :D :D
We probably read enough of 'cutesy romance novels' that realistic plots come ass refreshing :)

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”