Has your favourite author ever dissapointed you?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: Has your favourite author ever dissapointed you?

Post by lily_kh87 »

Yes! I was dissapointed reading Aleph by Paulo Coelho. I didn't like it at all. His other novels are much better.
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

My favorite author is Stephen King, and for me the most disappointing book that I have ever read by him was Dream Catcher. Even though I re-read his books over and over, that is one I just can't bring myself to pick up again. Of course, when you publish as many books as he has, they can't all be fantastic.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Nichol
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nichol »

I think that George RR Martin has had the quality of the latest GoT books drop significantly. Maybe the HBO show is to blame for that
sesquipedalianman
Currently Reading: Keeper of the Lost Cities
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sesquipedalianman.html

Post by sesquipedalianman »

Henry H. Neff only published the final Tapestry book in e-book format. That was annoying. I really don't like reading on tech, I love the feel of actual, paper books. I asked him about it, but he said it had something to do with deadlines and his publisher, but in any case, it was very irritating.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I was disappointed to learn that Dr. Seuss was racist. He's still my favorite author because I like his work, even if his character wasnt as great as it was made out to be.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
hazelk
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by hazelk »

One of my favourite authors that disappointed me was Elizabeth Strout's "The Burgess Boys".
Khaya
Currently Reading: 1Q84
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaya.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by Khaya »

I wasn't as disappointed as much as some others because I understood what she was going for in some parts, but Suzanne Collin's Mockingjay did disappoint me a little. Katniss' feelings and thinking were all over the place, and the plotting was messy.

And I totally can relate to finding out an author isn't very enlightened when their works are. With writers, singers, poets, and play-writers, sometimes you just have to separate their work from them. Love the work, not so much them.
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
EmperorOfBooks
Currently Reading: the wicked will rise
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emperorofbooks.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by EmperorOfBooks »

Michelle Hodkin, my favorite author, has never disappointed me. After having read her only series, The Mara Dyer Trilogy, I knew that her unique writing style would never, or at least i hope, disappoint me. I can't wait for her upcoming spin-off series.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Unfortunately Veronica Roth. After *that* ending to her divergent series I was going to give her another chance with her new novel but I just ended up expecting more.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
ilovechickens777
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilovechickens777.html
Latest Review: "OUR LANHAM HISTORY and Related Families" by Clifford W. Lanham

Post by ilovechickens777 »

I have had an author disappoint me. I just finished reading the first book in the Tucket series by Gray Paulsen and was so excited to read the next. However, the next four were not as good as the first. One of the main characters, Mr. Grimes was taken out and it felt like the author had a different writing style. However, overall it is a great series.
Latest Review: "OUR LANHAM HISTORY and Related Families" by Clifford W. Lanham
Adair McClain
Currently Reading: Madhouse
Bookshelf Size: 258
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adair-lee.html
Latest Review: Freefalling by Eme McAnam

Post by Adair McClain »

You hate to admit it when one of your favorite authors publishes something you don't particularly like, but I had to make myself stop reading Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunter series once I completed reading the much-anticipated book of Acheron. After that, I read a couple more books that just really disappointed me. I read them because I wanted that part of the storyline, but they really didn't touch me the way the others had. I was extremely bent out of shape about Bad Moon Rising because I had looked forward to it for so long. I've been out of touch with that series for awhile now, but she still remains one of my favorites.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I have a lot of favorite authors and they all have great books and some not so great. But I usually forgive them and come back for more.
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

I was disappointed when I read 'Casual Vacancy'by JK Rowling, albeit she used a different pen name. I understand her desire to distance herself from Harry Potter, but the books just seemed to have needless violence and I found the rape scene unnecessary. Like she was trying to hard to prove she can write something else.
NICA ALBERT RANCES
Currently Reading: They'll Never Die
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by NICA ALBERT RANCES »

Not at all, although sometimes. But they always make a way to did their best again.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

EMoffat wrote:I was disappointed when I read 'Casual Vacancy'by JK Rowling, albeit she used a different pen name. I understand her desire to distance herself from Harry Potter, but the books just seemed to have needless violence and I found the rape scene unnecessary. Like she was trying to hard to prove she can write something else.
I have been meaning to read Casual Vacancy as Harry Potter has made me a Rowling fanatic, but your comment has dampened my interest

That's what happens when an artist turns out excellent work; the bar is raised. Let's hope Rowling has other tricks up her sleeves.

Return to “Discuss Authors”