How much do you typically spend on a book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
LauraBeth0625
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurabeth0625.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

How much do you typically spend on a book?

Post by LauraBeth0625 »

We all probably have the same problem, book shopping! I find myself going to and from my favorite book stores, usually used book stores, and I spend various amounts , depending on what I find.
This week I found , for example, a few Dean Koontz books for less than $3 each, hardback copies with the dust cover. I also ordered a Stephen King book for less than $5 including shipping.
How do you decide if you are going to spend $1 or $25 on a book? Does it depend on the author? the condition of the book? Or does it just depend on where you get it?
I also seem to spend a significant amount of money on my Kindle and Nook apps.
Loverockers
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... lations</a>
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loverockers.html
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott

Post by Loverockers »

I try to spend less than $7 on a book. If a book is over than that, I'll search for a second-hand copy.
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott
jamiemarie21
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jamiemarie21 »

I typically spend about a week on a book depending on the length. However I have been know to read an entire book in one night if I get fully absorbed.
LauraBeth0625

Post by LauraBeth0625 »

jamiemarie21 wrote:I typically spend about a week on a book depending on the length. However I have been know to read an entire book in one night if I get fully absorbed.
I am right there with you. Sometimes its hours and sometimes it is days.
nicsotir7213
Currently Reading: Team of Rivals
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicsotir7213.html

Post by nicsotir7213 »

Wait - time or money? Both responses seem to be given but I'm not sure about the question. If I am absorbed in a book I can be done in two days but if it is dense and academic it can take forever! As for finances, it depends where I am purchasing the book from - and if it is new or used, hard copy or digital
LauraBeth0625

Post by LauraBeth0625 »

The original question was about money. But the time response was a good topic also.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

It depends on the book form. If the ebook is priced the same as the paper version, I would prefer to buy the paper book. I would spend up to $5 on an ebook and up to $20 on a paper book (if it is one of my favorite authors I may pay more). Otherwise I'll either search for a second-hand copy, wait for the price to get down, or borrow the book from the library.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
lmoses
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmoses.html
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Post by lmoses »

It depends on the book for me. I have started to buy books via Kindle and if I love them and plan to read them multiple times, I will buy the hardback copy. I do read reviews and samples before buying a book to make sure it is worth what it is priced.
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I try to get books for less than 5$. The only time I will be willing to pay around 20$ for a book is if that's the only price I can find it in, or if the cover is special, like if it's limited edition for an anniversary or something.
Mrs Robin
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrs-robin.html

Post by Mrs Robin »

I love our local thrift store. All the books are free!!! Yay! I spend anywhere from $0.10 to -$40. We have some commentaries that cosated us a pretty penny. If I can find a book second had in decenet shape I'll buy it. If I can't and the book is one I really want I'll pay the amazon price.
ArsenicCookies
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 292">Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</a>
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arseniccookies.html
Latest Review: "Just a Few Inches" by Tara St. Pierre

Post by ArsenicCookies »

When I was a kid my grandmother owned a second hand book shop. I spent most of my childhood there and treated it as my own personal library. Imagine my shock to discover that books cost money when you aren't related to the shop owner!

I usually use Kindle Unlimited to feed my reading addiction, but when I buy a book I usually get it from a second hand shop for less than five dollars. I live in a little house so bookshelf space is limited. I try to only buy the books that I know I will read multiple times.
Latest Review: "Just a Few Inches" by Tara St. Pierre
EmmaK
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmak.html

Post by EmmaK »

Here in Australia books can range from min $15 - $38 max. I usually try not to pay more then $20 for a book. Hardcovers can be between $25 - $38 sometimes more. The only places you could get a cheap book paperback is Kmart, Big W or Target which the cheapest is $14. but most only go as low as $15 and usually are like the second book in the series so you still have to get the first one if you don't already have it.
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

Most of the time it depends on the author and how much I really want to read a book. I go to Half-Price Books a lot of the time and buy books used. There are a select few authors that I will buy when the book first comes out (such as Stephen King). But most of the time I wait and try to get them either used or when the price has gone down. Typically I try not to spend more than $10 for a hardback.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Amazmerizing1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amazmerizing1.html

Post by Amazmerizing1 »

WOW! Such a loaded question. First I agree with a previous comment on limited bookshelf space. So as an avid lifetime reader I have had to be stricter with my purchases. Now I try to "give a few get a few" however that works out. The library is my best friend and freebie kindles are my bane and lifesaver. If you go there then you get me ;) Thrift stores sometimes are worth it but more and more it seems they are learning the true value of books. I generally pay well ONLY for non-fiction. This means it is a book read for learning. Entertainment books have to be dirt cheap. Period ;) This is mainly because I am not much of a re-reader, so once done I will get rid of it. I don't like to waste money. Who does?
JPruitt319
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jpruitt319.html

Post by JPruitt319 »

I typically buy from used book stores online for $3-4 a piece. I don't mind buying new books, but I prefer to buy in bulk a few times a year as opposed to one at a time.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”