Official Review: Hyde's Corner by J B Bergstad

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Hyde's Corner by J B Bergstad

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hyde's Corner" by J B Bergstad.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hyde’s Corner: No Man’s Land is the first book of Hyde’s Corner Trilogy by J B Bergstad.

Written in the third person perspective, the story begins in October of 1947 at the surgery of Dr. Herman Beaman, where the old man’s sleep is disturbed by an unofficial delivery of a duffle bag that used to belong to Selmer Burks. The story then flashes back to Tennessee in 1877 when the blacksmith/gunsmith Silas Burks and his wife Mathilda and their children make the journey to Oklahoma to settle as cattle ranchers. They work hard on their ranch, which they name Little B, and become friends with the other cattle ranchers. Shortly after, they meet new arrivals from England, Cedric and his son Jared Hyde, whom the ranchers find ill-mannered and arrogant. The Hydes put up a general merchandise store which is welcomed by the residents as they usually make a long journey to Dodge City for supplies. An unfortunate incident wrecks the business relationship between the Burkses and the Hydes. This almost leads to the annihilation of both families.

The book features hatred and vengeance as well as love and friendship. The author successfully depicts the importance of family. Selmer Burks’s hunger for Hyde blood in order to avenge the death of his loved ones and Cedric Hyde’s covering up for his son’s criminal behavior, though extreme, are great examples of how far one can go for the people he loves. The author masterfully presents the difference in upbringing between the Burks and the Hyde children, where Silas teachers his children the importance of hard work and good manners, the Hydes are raised to believe they are superior over the farmers and cattlemen. The Burkses make friends while the Hydes pay servants. Moreover, the story shows the dark nature of men when money and power are more important than morals, honor and even people’s lives.

This book affects me more than others. It is written in a very profound way that I can almost feel the pain and suffering of the characters. Some scenes are so intense that I have to stop reading. Others, though they do not bring tears to my eyes, leave a giant lump in my throat and a big hole in my chest.

The author adeptly creates a cast of memorable characters: the honorable Silas Burks whose temper cost him dearly, the smart sheriff Selmer Burks who is haunted by the painful deaths of his family members, the proud Cedric Hyde whose ultimate goal is to re-establish an economic and aristocratic empire and the immoral Jared Hyde who has neither heart nor soul.

My only problem is the incorrect use of several words, mostly possessive pronouns, within the entire book. Other readers may find them annoying.

In view of the above, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers who appreciate historical fiction, western living and cowboy stories. However, this book contains scenes including beatings, killings, slaughter and even rape, which are not suitable for young readers.

Hyde's Corner
View: on Bookshelves

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Swiftmover07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swiftmover07.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Swiftmover07 »

sounds like an intriguing read. Fabulous review as well :) i like books that can capture the mind and the soul and you definitely make it sound as if this is one of those books. Congrats to the author for the great feedback
Goodnight sweet prince, may flights of devils wing you to your rest. - Anne Rice
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Swiftmover07 wrote:sounds like an intriguing read. Fabulous review as well :) i like books that can capture the mind and the soul and you definitely make it sound as if this is one of those books. Congrats to the author for the great feedback
Thank you. I enjoyed the book immensely.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your review. :) Although the subject matter seems too harsh for my taste, the story does look interesting.

Congrats to the author on receiving a glowing review!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

bookowlie wrote:I enjoyed reading your review. :) Although the subject matter seems too harsh for my taste, the story does look interesting.

Congrats to the author on receiving a glowing review!
Thank you. It's not an easy book to read :) but I enjoyed it nonetheless :)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

It does sound like a very interesting read. I love when authors are able to bring their story to life through their characters. Well done!
Also, congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review! :tiphat:
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

hsimone wrote:It does sound like a very interesting read. I love when authors are able to bring their story to life through their characters. Well done!
Also, congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review! :tiphat:
Thank you. It's a very interesting read. One character is admirable, one is hateful and another one is more hateful :D
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

Great review! I like a good western story, but my husband LOVES them, so I'll have to recommend this book to him. I also appreciate the warnings about the violence - good to know when making recommendations for teens and younger readers!
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Sounds intense! I haven't ever read a Western but I practically grew up on John Wayne movies. Thank you for the review!
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Shelle wrote:Great review! I like a good western story, but my husband LOVES them, so I'll have to recommend this book to him. I also appreciate the warnings about the violence - good to know when making recommendations for teens and younger readers!
Thank you very much. I hope you and you husband enjoy it as much as I did :)
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

Great review! I love reading historical fiction and this book sounds very moving and profound. Congratulations to the author for such a positive review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

CrescentMoon wrote:Great review! I love reading historical fiction and this book sounds very moving and profound. Congratulations to the author for such a positive review!
Thank you very much. I hope you get a chance to read this book.
KAV
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kav.html
Latest Review: "Angelica" by Clabe Polk

Post by KAV »

This book probably isn't for me because of the violent scenes but you had a great book review.
Latest Review: "Angelica" by Clabe Polk
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

KAV wrote:This book probably isn't for me because of the violent scenes but you had a great book review.
Thank you. It may be one good book but it isn't for everybody.
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

Your review is very informative. The story sounds very interesting with interesting characters, but I'm not sure if the book is one I would like because of the intense nature of it at times. Good review!
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Return to “Historical Fiction”