Official Review: Felix Finds Out by Joan Slowey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Official Review: Felix Finds Out by Joan Slowey

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Felix Finds Out" by Joan Slowey.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Felix Finds Out by Joan Slowey is a charming children’s book set in Ireland. I recommend this story for children in the 6-12 age range.

Ten-year-old Felix is a shy, quiet boy who lives with his Uncle Eddie. Starting out in a new school, he has not made any friends and is dreading the upcoming Fancy Dress Party. Meanwhile, Uncle Eddie is having problems with his job at the pub. Someone who works there is stealing cigarettes, drinks, and crisps. Eddie’s boss is angry enough to start firing everyone if they don’t figure out who the culprit is. Eddie has his suspicions, but needs Felix’s help to confirm it. Felix wants to aid his uncle, but he is scared and needs some help from friends. The only problem? He does not have any friends...yet.

I love the characters in this book. Some of them are over the top and others are quite normal, but each of them have their own personality. I could easily picture Felix and understand his frustrations; frustrations that are certainly fitting for a ten-year-old boy.

This book is an easy read, not too long and fast-paced. The plot is uncomplicated and perhaps a bit simplistic. However, it is suitable for its target age. I originally thought the story would be a mystery, but it is made known early on who the culprit is, so there is not very much crime solving going on. I think the main focus is the underlying theme of friendship.

I did notice some typos throughout the book. There are not many, but enough to make it feel like the book could use some cleaning up. Also, my copy of the book randomly switched the font type back and forth. I am guessing that it is just the PDF copy I was given, and not actually like that when you buy the book.

I do want to mention that there is some language. I feel like it is out of place in a children’s book like this and it would have been nicer not to have it at all. I must also warn that the children also try smoking at one point in the story so some parents may not feel like this is a good example for their children.

My rating for Felix Finds Out is 3 out of 4 stars. It is a cute story, one that is not complex, but has delightful characters. I think this is a great book for children who are looking for an easy and enjoyable read. They will find enough action to keep them interested while rooting for Felix to make friends.

Felix Finds Out
View: on Bookshelves

Like Rachaelamb1's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Great review, Rachaelamb1! Thank you for giving the seemingly small details to let parents know of the content in this book. I see this being very helpful when deciding to expose kids to this book. I'm glad you enjoyed the read! :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Great review. Well written. Thoughtfully detailed.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Rachaelamb1

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

hsimone wrote:Great review, Rachaelamb1! Thank you for giving the seemingly small details to let parents know of the content in this book. I see this being very helpful when deciding to expose kids to this book. I'm glad you enjoyed the read! :)
Thank you! I hope it is helpful to parents :)

-- 03 May 2016, 22:30 --
Vermont Reviews wrote:Great review. Well written. Thoughtfully detailed.
Thank you!
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

Great review! My oldest is 6, so maybe on the young end of the spectrum for this book, but it does sound like one she might like in a couple of years. I appreciate the head's up about the cussing and smoking and these topics would need to be discussed while reading the book.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
Primrose
Currently Reading: The Rottweiler
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Primrose »

Rachaelamb1 wrote:[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Felix Finds Out" by Joan Slowey.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Felix Finds Out by Joan Slowey is a charming children’s book set in Ireland. I recommend this story for children in the 6-12 age range.

Ten-year-old Felix is a shy, quiet boy who lives with his Uncle Eddie. Starting out in a new school, he has not made any friends and is dreading the upcoming Fancy Dress Party. Meanwhile, Uncle Eddie is having problems with his job at the pub. Someone who works there is stealing cigarettes, drinks, and crisps. Eddie’s boss is angry enough to start firing everyone if they don’t figure out who the culprit is. Eddie has his suspicions, but needs Felix’s help to confirm it. Felix wants to aid his uncle, but he is scared and needs some help from friends. The only problem? He does not have any friends...yet.

I love the characters in this book. Some of them are over the top and others are quite normal, but each of them have their own personality. I could easily picture Felix and understand his frustrations; frustrations that are certainly fitting for a ten-year-old boy.

This book is an easy read, not too long and fast-paced. The plot is uncomplicated and perhaps a bit simplistic. However, it is suitable for its target age. I originally thought the story would be a mystery, but it is made known early on who the culprit is, so there is not very much crime solving going on. I think the main focus is the underlying theme of friendship.

I did notice some typos throughout the book. There are not many, but enough to make it feel like the book could use some cleaning up. Also, my copy of the book randomly switched the font type back and forth. I am guessing that it is just the PDF copy I was given, and not actually like that when you buy the book.

I do want to mention that there is some language. I feel like it is out of place in a children’s book like this and it would have been nicer not to have it at all. I must also warn that the children also try smoking at one point in the story so some parents may not feel like this is a good example for their children.

My rating for Felix Finds Out is 3 out of 4 stars. It is a cute story, one that is not complex, but has delightful characters. I think this is a great book for children who are looking for an easy and enjoyable read. They will find enough action to keep them interested while rooting for Felix to make friends.

Felix Finds Out

-- 04 May 2016, 16:17 --

Thanks for the good review, Rachael. I will check my manuscript for typos and correct them. Also, about the smoking scene - the point was really that it would make you sick but I will put in another couple of sentences to make it clearer that this is a very bad thing to do! Sorry the font wasn't steady but It wouldn't be like that on the ebook. Thanks again. I'll have another childrens book up for review shortly . . .
Rachaelamb1

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Shelle wrote:Great review! My oldest is 6, so maybe on the young end of the spectrum for this book, but it does sound like one she might like in a couple of years. I appreciate the head's up about the cussing and smoking and these topics would need to be discussed while reading the book.
Thank you, it is probably a good one to read with her to open up a discussion :)

-- 04 May 2016, 19:49 --
Primrose wrote:
Rachaelamb1 wrote:[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Felix Finds Out" by Joan Slowey.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Felix Finds Out

-- 04 May 2016, 16:17 --

Thanks for the good review, Rachael. I will check my manuscript for typos and correct them. Also, about the smoking scene - the point was really that it would make you sick but I will put in another couple of sentences to make it clearer that this is a very bad thing to do! Sorry the font wasn't steady but It wouldn't be like that on the ebook. Thanks again. I'll have another childrens book up for review shortly . . .
Thank you for your comments :) From an adult's perspective I thought the smoking scene was kind of cute...however I am not sure children always get the morals behind stories and may just see the action. It's good if parents are reading with their children and discussing it, but may not be one parents want their kids to read alone.
Good to know the text issue was just the PDF. :)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great, balanced review! You made very good points about the mature language and smoking scene not being suitable for children. Still, it looks like a cute book. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Rachaelamb1

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

bookowlie wrote:Great, balanced review! You made very good points about the mature language and smoking scene not being suitable for children. Still, it looks like a cute book. :)
Thank you, for your kind comments. It is a cute story.

Return to “Children's Books”