REVIEW: Red Queen (Red Queen #1) by Victoria Aveyard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sicilian95
Bookshelf Size: 0

Icon Re: REVIEW: Red Queen (Red Queen #1) by Victoria Aveyard

Post by sicilian95 »

I found this book when looking for something to read through Goodreads.And I LOVED this book!! I read it in less than a week. It was really well written and there were twists in it and it just kept me hooked. I can't wait to read the next book in the series
Sarah Penney
Favorite Author: Tom Clancy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-penney.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch
fav_author_id: 7289

Post by Sarah Penney »

I have just gotten this book and I have yet to read it, but after reading a few of the comments on here, I feel like I have to now! While I'll admit I'm not normally one for the post-apocalyptic teen novels (I am one of the few who actually didn't think too highly of the Hunger Games), it looks like it's going to be an amazing book.
"My best friend is a person who will give me a book I have not read." -Abraham Lincoln
Maxinnaaa

Post by Maxinnaaa »

I enjoyed this books so much it became one of my favorite series of all time. Here's my review :)

"I can set this world on fire and call it rain."

HOW MUCH I LOVE THAT QUOTE ABOVE IS BEYOND COMPREHENSION.

Honestly, I wasn't going to read this yet but because the author will be visiting our country next month, I needed to.

At first, I didn't quite grasp the story but a few more pages in and I was just flying through it. I loved Kilorn initially. He reminded me of Kenji from Shatter Me. I thought he had feelings for Mare in the first book. But all I sensed was friendship. That sucks, honestly, because I'd really love it if they had something there. But maybe for Mare, they had a bit of something as she said something about having little kids with her "quick feet and Kilorn's last name". But their friendship is really admirable for me so I hope it stays like that. I know, I'm not so sure whether I want them together as a couple or not. Silly me!

So since I already started with Kilorn, let me continue with the characters. Mare. I liked her. She was rational and simple and easy to be with. I know she was confused a lot of times but that's what I like about her. She was real. Her feelings were realistic. She was feeling what was supposed to be felt. It was easy to get around with her and I loved that. Also, I loved her sarcasm. I always love sarcastic characters! And really, I couldn't blame her if it seemed like she was just going with the flow. I mean she didn't know anything. She was doing what she thought was right. I couldn't really blame her for that.

Then there's Cal. I liked him a lot at first. It was here in my update that he was my first crush. But as I plunged deeper into the story, I couldn't help but feel indifferent with him. I just couldn't believe that he thought there's nothing wrong with his kingdom! I hated that he thought his father was right. I didn't like it that he would just carry on with everything just so his father would be proud of him. Like Mare, I searched and dreaded for the boy she knew. That one she met. But he resurfaced only a few more times. I also didn't feel that much between him and Mare. I didn't feel it was forced but I just couldn't feel the romance there. Yes, Mare couldn't quite stay away from him or whatever but still, I didn't feel much of anything for them. So, no, I'm not really exactly on Team Cal.

Hardest part? Maven. I loved Maven. He was like a little brother I wanted to protect especially when he tried to pour himself out for Mare to see. I wanted to hug him when he was going soft. I wanted to care for him as much as how a big sister would care for a brother. Him and Mare was okay for me. I didn't feel a lot of feels for them either. But Him and Mare made a lot more sense to me than Cal and Mare. I had (and still have) a soft spot for him. He was a friend, a brother, a protector and a family. So yes, at the end of Red Queen, I was truly heartbroken.

Whew! Okay, so about the story. I know there are a lot of similarities to other novels. I read some reviews that said it. For me, I saw Shatter Me and even The Hunger Games. Many other reviews said more novels but I haven't read these said novels yet so I couldn't compare. And really, I don't wanna compare because despite the similarities, I saw Red Queen as a new novel, a new world to get into. The world building might not be overly amazing but it was there. And imagining the world and getting carried away is enough for me to enjoy the book. The story played through my head in a satisfying pace, complete with world building and atmosphere and ambiance and those were enough for me. Though I actually imagined a cross between Panem and Greece, it was still really good for me. Maybe the comparisons and similarities can be overlooked if the story is good, eh? I don't know about you but the entertainment quality of a book is enough for me to give it a good review.

I don't want to accidentally give spoilers as I haven't really moved on with this yet and I'm dreading to talk about this with someone so I need to cut this off here before I even say something I shouldn't.

This book broke me apart in more ways than one and I couldn't say I'm happy about it. I'm happy that it affected me that much but no. I'll never be happy with how it turned out. I'll have high hopes for the next books, though.
book_geek
Currently Reading: Black Ice

Post by book_geek »

If you are still thinking about picking up this book from the shelf and/or ordering it online THEN STOP THINKING AND DO IT. JUST DO IT. Believe me, you won't regret it. Now lets get on with the review, shall we.

Review for Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
Rating Gazillion/5
Okay, 5/5.
I L.O.V.E.D. this book to the moon and back. I read it in one day. No, less than that, actually. Thats how much I liked it. I got straight into it and basically read it all in one go. The plot, the setting, the characters, and the overall atmosphere and tone of the book was so expertly and precisely written that I thought I was actually right there next to Mare.

Enter Mare Barrow - the main character. She's a cunning, witty, selfless, strong young woman who will do anything in order to protect the ones she loves. Because her best friend, Kilorn Warren, is nearing the age of 18, which is the age at which teens are sent off to war, she will stop at nothing in order to protect him from his doom. This is where things start to get feisty. :shifty: But I won't tell you a thing, cause that will be spoiling the whole book. :snooty:

Enter Prince Cal, of the House Calore. Mysterious, moody, dark, rather eccentric with a drool-worthy body and looks that complete the look. This young man will be the life or death of our beloved Mare. (Sorry, can't say more than that or there will be spoilers!)

Enter Prince Maven, also of the House Calore. You are absolutely right - he is Cal's brother. Now, he is the more charming version, with an easy, warm smile that reaches his eyes, and a friendly, boy-next-door personality. He is like a beacon in Mare's life, that is why she is so drawn to him.

From this, it is easy to say that there might be a potential, POTENTIAL, love triangle. Might be. But you'll have to read on to find out!

Overall, I'd definitely recommend this book to everyone and anyone. The MC (main character) didn't irritate me AT ALL, which is a first, because a lot of MC's irritate me, like, most of the time.

But yeah, definitely 5/5 stars. Loved it!

-- 02 Apr 2016, 01:18 --

If you are still thinking about picking up this book from the shelf and/or ordering it online THEN STOP THINKING AND DO IT. JUST DO IT. Believe me, you won't regret it. Now lets get on with the review, shall we.

Review for Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
Rating Gazillion/5
Okay, 5/5.
I L.O.V.E.D. this book to the moon and back. I read it in one day. No, less than that, actually. Thats how much I liked it. I got straight into it and basically read it all in one go. The plot, the setting, the characters, and the overall atmosphere and tone of the book was so expertly and precisely written that I thought I was actually right there next to Mare.

Enter Mare Barrow - the main character. She's a cunning, witty, selfless, strong young woman who will do anything in order to protect the ones she loves. Because her best friend, Kilorn Warren, is nearing the age of 18, which is the age at which teens are sent off to war, she will stop at nothing in order to protect him from his doom. This is where things start to get feisty. :shifty: But I won't tell you a thing, cause that will be spoiling the whole book. :snooty:

Enter Prince Cal, of the House Calore. Mysterious, moody, dark, rather eccentric with a drool-worthy body and looks that complete the look. This young man will be the life or death of our beloved Mare. (Sorry, can't say more than that or there will be spoilers!)

Enter Prince Maven, also of the House Calore. You are absolutely right - he is Cal's brother. Now, he is the more charming version, with an easy, warm smile that reaches his eyes, and a friendly, boy-next-door personality. He is like a beacon in Mare's life, that is why she is so drawn to him.

From this, it is easy to say that there might be a potential, POTENTIAL, love triangle. Might be. But you'll have to read on to find out!

Overall, I'd definitely recommend this book to everyone and anyone. The MC (main character) didn't irritate me AT ALL, which is a first, because a lot of MC's irritate me, like, most of the time.

But yeah, definitely 5/5 stars. Loved it!
Veleciary

Post by Veleciary »

This sounds like something I would like as well. I have a hard time finding new YA books. I read hunger games and twilight. And some various other ones. Sounds like this is next up.
book_geek
Currently Reading: Black Ice

Post by book_geek »

Veleciary wrote:This sounds like something I would like as well. I have a hard time finding new YA books. I read hunger games and twilight. And some various other ones. Sounds like this is next up.

I'm so happy this book is next up for you! It is very interesting and unique, and I think you will enjoy it, so have fun!

P.S. I'd love to hear what you thought about it once you're done reading! x :techie-studyingbrown:
audreykeeling
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-audreykeeling.html

Post by audreykeeling »

This novel was a perfect mix of dystopian and romance. I thoroughly enjoyed the juxtaposition of the Mare's two lovers, and the ending absolutely blew my mind. Aveyard's style of writing is unique and intriguing; there wasn't a moment I could willingly put the book down. I would 100% recommend this book to anyone who enjoys dystopian, romance, fantasy, or young adult fiction.
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

This book has been on my to-read list for a while now, but I keep passing it over for other books. I like what you had to say about it and will try to get to it sooner rather than later! I like dystopian YA, I think I was just worried it would be too much like some other YA in that genre, so I really appreciate your description.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
lmoses
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmoses.html
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Post by lmoses »

With all of the positive feedback that this book has gotten, I will definitely have to reconsider reading this book. Often the hype for a book does not live up to the real thing, but with so many fans enjoying it, I plan to at it to my to-read list.
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline
madelinemaher
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madelinemaher.html

Post by madelinemaher »

Did anyone else have a hard time with this book? Almost every review I read before reading it was absolutely glowing, so I was very excited to read it and then VERY disappointed while reading it and after finishing it. The problem is, I really want to like this book--the plot, characters, and setting all fit my mold for a good YA novel, but for some reason I just couldn't do it. I even tried to read the second one in hopes that it would change my opinion, but I am struggling to finish it (this coming from someone who usually finished YA books in a matter of days).

So my question is, why is this book so popular and what am I missing?
suzanneseidel
Currently Reading: Blind Assassin
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzanneseidel.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by suzanneseidel »

I agree with sass-jay23. I was unimpressed with Red Queen. With so many YA dystopian futures floating around out there one can expect to find similarities in different books of the genre. The problem is when a particular book reminds a reader of another book and manages to remind the reader throughout why that other book is so much better than the one they are currently reading.

It's possible I'm missing something, as almost everyone is smitten with Aveyard and the world she has created here but the friend/forced together love triangle is too Katniss-Gale-Peeta (only flatter), the secret past that will shock and awe is too Cinder (Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer), and the magic silver blood compounded with the use of guns is just too much. It's also possible that as the characters and the story grows the series will become more individual and compelling, but I won't be reading book number 2 to find out.
janessaking
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janessaking.html

Post by janessaking »

I read this awhile back and while it was okay, it definitely wasn't one of my favorites. There was a lot I was disappointed with. The novellas have been better than the full books themselves, in my opinion.
Mikayla
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mikayla.html

Post by Mikayla »

This book is amazingggggggg. Just the cover makes you want to read it. The mixture of sci fi/future/romance/supernatural comes together to form the ultimate plot. I love books about characters with powers with just a hint of romance and this book more than delivers.
Ouui

Post by Ouui »

I agree! Great book, great character development and that plot twist! So delicious
ScrawledLetters
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawledletters.html

Post by ScrawledLetters »

I tried reading this about a year ago and go halfway through before losing interest. The whole girl with special powers, multiple love interest and must save the world plot is getting a little stressed. However I have heard some really interesting and positive things about this book, so I'm hoping to give it another shot!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”