The Opening...

Discuss the May 2016 Book of the Month, Save the Last Bullet for God by JT Alblood.

View Save the Last Bullet for God on Bookshelves

View Save the Last Bullet for God on Amazon
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

The Opening...

Post by Scott »

How do you like the opening of the May Book of the Month, Save the Last Bullet for God?

The opening intrigued me very much. I think the author did a great job in the opening with balancing mentioning some of the strange supernatural alternative history elements right away without losing the focus on developing the first characters and an intriguing story. Sometimes with supernatural, fantasy, and really any book, the beginning is boring because too much is spent explaining the fictional universe and setting making it feel like a non-fiction textbook that simply describes things that are not true. This book did not do that; it balanced those well, I think. What do you think?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I liked the opening, though I found it a bit confusing at first. I agree the book balanced all the ingredients real well. The concepts were very interesting and I enjoyed the book from start to finish.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

I haven't finished yet, but I'm guessing when I do the beginning won't be so confusing. It's definitely piqued my interest and I can't wait to see where it goes and how all the elements play out.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

I enjoyed the book. I did think that the opening was well balanced as well. The author did a nice job with historical ideas too.
Rhoe_Marrow
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhoe-marrow.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Rhoe_Marrow »

So far the opening was a bit confusing at first. I have only ever seen this kind of format with a fiction book called "The Historian"
The book of the month is taking me a couple of passes to fully understand, But, this format seems like a great way to add some back story while building plot. I like it.
lmoses
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmoses.html
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Post by lmoses »

I found the opening to be a bit confusing, but I liked how the format jumped right into the book's themes. I have not finished the book, but like others, I believe it will be less confusing once I am finished. This is not a book I would typically read but still found it interesting.
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

Scott wrote:How do you like the opening of the May Book of the Month, Save the Last Bullet for God?

The opening intrigued me very much. I think the author did a great job in the opening with balancing mentioning some of the strange supernatural alternative history elements right away without losing the focus on developing the first characters and an intriguing story. Sometimes with supernatural, fantasy, and really any book, the beginning is boring because too much is spent explaining the fictional universe and setting making it feel like a non-fiction textbook that simply describes things that are not true. This book did not do that; it balanced those well, I think. What do you think?
I'll admit this opening intrigued me where the blurb didn't. (I know weird, right?) The line about what if god died definitely piqued my interest, but the opening pulled me in the rest of the way. I also liked how life-like the saucer crash looked.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>

kio wrote:
Scott wrote:How do you like the opening of the May Book of the Month, Save the Last Bullet for God?

I'll admit this opening intrigued me where the blurb didn't. (I know weird, right?) The line about what if god died definitely piqued my interest, but the opening pulled me in the rest of the way. I also liked how life-like the saucer crash looked.

Nice job.
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

kio wrote:

I don't think it's weird at all. I feel like I got nothing from the blurb so when I read the opening it was something completely new.
tortoise keeper
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tortoise-keeper.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Reading Device: B0192AFG7A

Post by tortoise keeper »

I am about half way through the book right now and I also liked the beginning. Usually if a book doesn't capture my attention in the first new pages I will not read it. So far I have enjoyed this novel and it is not something that I would normally have chosen to read.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I actually read the third part of this book a while ago, and I'm excited to be able to read the whole book this month. With that being said, when reading the opening, I am also intrigued. Like others have said, it's a little confusing, especially with the year jumping around about three times. However, reading it reminded me of how much I loved the third part of this novel, so I'm excited to continue!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Vermont Reviews

Enjoyed this book. Plus I love the forums.
Renee Bella
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3565">City of Lost Souls</a>
Currently Reading: Torn
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-bella.html
Latest Review: "Evarance - Rise of the Shadows" by Bonnie M. Clark

Post by Renee Bella »

I am going to continue reading this book, but I felt that as I have just read the opening I would share my thoughts on here whilst it's fresh in my mind. Firstly, I have to say that the time jumps are what intrigued me the most. They were just long enough to offer something to the plot without burdening the reader with too much information before they were moved on to the next scene. I also felt that this made the scenes less confusing than they could have been as I ultimately had less to 'wrap my head around'.

That being said, I am thoroughly intrigued so far and can't wait to continue reading!
Latest Review: "Evarance - Rise of the Shadows" by Bonnie M. Clark
Vermont Reviews

Excellent let's have more comments.

Vermont Reviews
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

I wasn't much of a fan of the opening. It seemed too dramatic to me, like when tv shows open with scenes of a character being shot or rushed into surgery and then jump backward in time to explain how it happened. I understand the need to hook the audience, but to me, it is too much.

Return to “"Save the Last Bullet for God" by JT Alblood”