Do you always use the computer to write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
_hannahw_3001
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahw-3001.html

Re: Do you always use the computer to write?

Post by _hannahw_3001 »

i used to always write on paper, because i didnt really have a choice, but when i got my laptop from school, i did everything on it!
Shwiggie_99

Post by Shwiggie_99 »

I typically carry around some type of journal or moleskin journal, so I can write down ideas. There have been times I buy a large "book" to allow me time to write a novel, but inevitably I end up writing a few pages and ideas, but can't get the same amount of writing done as when I am in front of an electronic device.

Luckily, I work from a computer at work, so it is easy for me to access my word to write down thoughts. Question though, has anyone found a good way to use services like Google Doc or Dropbox to keep a document "live" so they can access from any location?
Stirnwendy

Post by Stirnwendy »

No first i write in a paper and then use to pc , this is best way to writing , thanks , :)
Abbie2212

Post by Abbie2212 »

Yep usually everything is done on a computer in my household!
mizzysbookreviews

Post by mizzysbookreviews »

Its not possible that I always have a laptop or computer with me. Sometimes, when I am outside or not at my home and an idea strikes into my mind I just write it down on paper as the chances of having a pen is more than a laptop most of the time.
Loverockers
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... lations</a>
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loverockers.html
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott

Post by Loverockers »

It feels more 'real' when I write on paper, but practically speaking, I have to use the computer, since it's easier to upload my work that way. Writing on paper and then rewriting on the computer makes it too much work, and I sort of lose interest if the process is soo long and tiring.
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

Mostly but not always
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
willow23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willow23.html

Post by willow23 »

i used to write in a notebook more but now i tend to use the computer more since i have started to have issues with arthritis in my hands so it makes it hard to grasp a pen or pencil for long amounts of time
Alexatheauthor
Currently Reading: The Girl On The Train
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Alexatheauthor »

I have to write by hand when I'm outlining, but once I flesh out the story, I use a computer.
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

I use both--I like writing on paper, and somehow I can think about what I'm writing better. I do enjoy using my computer, though-it makes my handwritten copy look more like a printed one ;-)
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
njzeba
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njzeba.html

Post by njzeba »

I almost always use the computer to write just because I have so much to write and my thoughts are all jumbled up. The last time I wrote on paper was a very long time ago but I wish I could go back to writing on paper
Renee Bella
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3565">City of Lost Souls</a>
Currently Reading: Torn
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-bella.html
Latest Review: "Evarance - Rise of the Shadows" by Bonnie M. Clark

Post by Renee Bella »

Up until about a year ago, I constantly used my laptop to write - anything and everything. But now I find that my ideas don't come as easily and I find it much more difficult to put words down on the page. There is something about writing on paper that makes me feel as though I can work through my ideas much more easily and perhaps methodically. I am able to actually see the changes I've made, whether they be with a different coloured pen or through crossing things out and this helps me organise my ideas in my head much more easily.

So, I tend to use a pen and paper for most things, but not all the time. There are times when an idea will spring to mind and i simply don't have time to fish through my bag to find my notebook before I forget it. This is where the notes app on my phone can be incredibly handy!
Write your own destiny...
Latest Review: "Evarance - Rise of the Shadows" by Bonnie M. Clark
Grant Costello

Post by Grant Costello »

I write on anything I can get my hands on. Mostly, it is on a tablet or phone (yes, it's difficult, but convenient). I prefer a desk and a computer with a copy of Microsoft Word, but that's a luxury these days.

I don't write on paper, because I find it tedious, and using a tablet or phone is preferable.

Long story short; I'm not always at a desk, so in a busy world, I write when a moment presents itself, on whatever I have on hand.
JCunha77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcunha77.html

Post by JCunha77 »

I like to do both which makes it hard when I start to write on the computer then I find myself without my computer and continue to work on paper it's a little confusing but is helpful with working through my ideas. Maybe someday I will just use one.
isapetrera
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isapetrera.html

Post by isapetrera »

Sometimes if I'm feeling run down, switching to pen and paper is a good way to reinvigorate my drive to work. Maybe that's just because a little change from routine is relieving sometimes. For the most part, though, I stick to my laptop. It's convenient, I don't have to worry about running out of or losing pages, I can save the same work in multiple places so it will never get lost, and I can type faster than I can write. Not to mention the benefits of being able to send a group of people a link and show your work off to several different people simultaneously.

Return to “Writing Discussion”