Official Review: Blood Runner by J.D. Stanley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Official Review: Blood Runner by J.D. Stanley

Post by Paliden »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Blood Runner" by J.D. Stanley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

J. D. Stanley's Blood Runner starts off in the ancient past, chronicling the beginning of the “blood runners” or vampires, as we know them. After the prologue, we jump forward a couple of milennia. Richard, aka Twitch, is a blood runner. Quite possibly the oldest in existence, he has no recollection of his beginning, or his life before the change. Understandably, having been in existence for so long, he has lost any semblance of human emotions and prefers to keep completely to himself, shunning human contact except for the all-consuming need of sustenance. Then, quite inexplicably, Maggie burst onto the scene. Try as he might to get rid of her, Maggie simply won't go. On top of her infuriating stubbornness, Maggie is not in the least bit afraid of Richard. But Maggie has her own skeletons hiding in her closet, and one of those is Captain William Blackthorn. Captain Blackthorn, aka Billy, is bound and determined to possess Maggie in one way or another. Will Richard be able to protect her from the darkest force he has ever known? When it seems all hope is lost, this story takes a twist that you will never see coming!

Overall, this is a great book! The narrative style took a minute to get used to, as the time-line jumps around quite a bit. Once I became accustomed to the writing style, the story-line flowed smoothly. Honestly, I didn't want the book to end. Given the ending, I am holding out hope that there is a sequel in the works!

My only complaint with this book is the language. There is a lot of cursing, and I do mean a lot. I understand that it does fit the story and it most definitely fits the characters, but I still would have been happier with a little less language. I thought I had Richard pegged but was completely thrown for a loop about two-thirds of the way through the book. He seemed a different person in the second half of the story. By the end of the book, everything came together nicely. Thankfully, all of the questions that are brought up throughout the book are answered by the end of it.

Blood Runner doesn't end on a cliffhanger, but it does seem to be open for a sequel. There are some slightly unresolved issues, but nothing overly dramatic. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys vampire books (although this is a spin on vampires that I have never read before). I would also recommend Blood Runner to anyone that enjoys mythological stories.

All in all, I am giving this book a 4 out of 4 stars! Great job, J.D. Stanley! I look forward to reading more of your work!

Blood Runner
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like Paliden's review? Post a comment saying so!
Swiftmover07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swiftmover07.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Swiftmover07 »

Nice review! I'll have to look imto this book. I love when authors spin vampire lore and make it their own
Goodnight sweet prince, may flights of devils wing you to your rest. - Anne Rice
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like an enjoyable book with intriguing characters. I've read a lot of vampire stories already but there seems to be something special about this book. Congratulations to J.D. Stanley on such a well-written book.
Paliden

Post by Paliden »

Swiftmover07 wrote:Nice review! I'll have to look imto this book. I love when authors spin vampire lore and make it their own

Thanks! It was a very enjoyable read!

-- 03 Apr 2016, 20:45 --
kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like an enjoyable book with intriguing characters. I've read a lot of vampire stories already but there seems to be something special about this book. Congratulations to J.D. Stanley on such a well-written book.

Yes, there IS something special about this book! You will enjoy it!
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Wow! I love new twists on the vampire mythology. Great review.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Paliden

Post by Paliden »

bluemel4 wrote:Wow! I love new twists on the vampire mythology. Great review.

Thanks! You should read it! It's a great book!
JD Stanley
Favorite Book: Blood Runner
Currently Reading: The Leyden Papyrus
Bookshelf Size: 65

Post by JD Stanley »

Thanks very much for giving the book a read and for your review!
Paliden

Post by Paliden »

JD Stanley wrote:Thanks very much for giving the book a read and for your review!
You are very welcome! Thanks for the chance to review it! Great job!
Jonathanlee
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jonathanlee »

Gosh, your review is making me curious about this book. Vampire stories are a dime a dozen. So, for this review to say that there is a twist to the story and there is a mysterious change of personality that is answered only at the end of the story is so ... well mystifying. Thanks for whetting my appetite.
Paliden

Post by Paliden »

Jonathanlee wrote:Gosh, your review is making me curious about this book. Vampire stories are a dime a dozen. So, for this review to say that there is a twist to the story and there is a mysterious change of personality that is answered only at the end of the story is so ... well mystifying. Thanks for whetting my appetite.

Yes, vampire stories are definitely a dime a dozen which is why I was surprised with this one. You will enjoy it!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”