Official Review: Marina Melee by Lynne M Hinkey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Official Review: Marina Melee by Lynne M Hinkey

Post by Shelle »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Marina Melee" by Lynne M Hinkey.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The island of Sao Jorge is a proverbial paradise-on-earth. When George H. Marshall III and his friends arrive after weeks of island-hopping, all they can see are the bikini-clad tourists, friendly locals, and all-you-can-drink tropical cocktails. How could life in the tropics be anything but perfect? In Marina Melee, a novel by author Lynne Hinkey, George quickly learns exactly how chaotic and imperfect island life can be when he decides to buy and manage a run-down marina. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is well-written, funny, and describes island life so perfectly that I felt I was right there in the middle of the story.

George buys the Porto da Vida Marina and Boatyard on a whim from an all-too-eager seller. He figures, why not? He doesn’t have anything else going on in his life right now. He certainly can’t go back to his father and the family business after being disgraced, yet again. And like it does to many tourists, George feels the island life and his laid-back-don’t-work-too-hard attitude will pair nicely together. What George doesn’t count on are the waves of problems that hit him almost immediately after he takes over ownership. There are pending lawsuits against the marina, boat owners not paying their slip fees, fines upon fines for environmental infractions, unreliable employees, and debt coming out of his ears. Poor George can’t even get a round of golf in without being interrupted by his employees, or worse, the island police.

Of course, a man who was a drinker and a womanizer before he moved to an island is still a drinker and a womanizer, so George wastes no time finding the best places to party, and the best (or worst) women to get involved with. But as a new business owner with actual responsibilities, George realizes he has to step up and put forth some effort and work if he wants the Porto da Vida to survive. He finds himself representing the local Marine Business Association in front of the island’s senate, and even has a more-than-uncomfortable meeting with the governor. But just as things are looking up for George and his marina, another thing goes wrong, then another, and another. It’s almost as if the island itself doesn’t want him to succeed, or perhaps it’s something, or someone closer to George who is actually pulling the strings.

Marina Melee also introduces the reader to some fabulous and colorful characters. From the Rastafarian mechanic, to the disappearing dockmaster, to the single-mom secretary running a daycare center out of the marina office, the people of Sao Jorge are what truly make it such a special place. This book is filled with fun, interesting, and surprising characters. I feel like they all have a story to tell, and I’d be honored and thrilled to hear them all.

Marina Melee is a great read for anyone who likes to look behind the scenes of island life. It’s a very easy-to-read story filled with humor, awkward encounters, beautiful descriptions, and rum – lots of rum and tropical drinks. I could easily imagine myself enjoying this book again, but perhaps this time while relaxing on a beach or a boat in the Caribbean.

Marina Melee
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Shelle's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice review! The book sounds like a fun, light read with offbeat characters. Glad you enjoyed it!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like a good read. Thank you for the lovely review.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Shelle
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith

Post by Shelle »

Thanks Gali and Bookowlie! It really is the perfect beach read for summertime!
-Garrison Keillor
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

Nice review! This isn't generally my type of book but it sounds like a fun, light read. This is off topic but I love your profile pic. It's so cute :)
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Shelle

Post by Shelle »

CrescentMoon wrote:Nice review! This isn't generally my type of book but it sounds like a fun, light read. This is off topic but I love your profile pic. It's so cute :)
Thanks! That's me with my youngest daughter. I like that we're both smiling at each other. She's two now, so the struggle is real :D .
-Garrison Keillor
Lynne
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lynne »

Thank you so much for the review, Shelle. I'm so pleased you enjoyed George's island adventure. (And I agree with Crescent Moon--that is an adorable pic of you and your daughter. Impossible not to smile when I look at that!
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Great job on the review! The book sounds like a beach read. Just in time to make it into the book like for summer. ?
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Shelle

Post by Shelle »

Lynne wrote:Thank you so much for the review, Shelle. I'm so pleased you enjoyed George's island adventure. (And I agree with Crescent Moon--that is an adorable pic of you and your daughter. Impossible not to smile when I look at that!
Thanks! Any chance Marina Melee is the first in a series of Island Adventures with George?
-Garrison Keillor
Lynne
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lynne »

So far, not a direct storyline for George, but Jack Halliman (a minor character--the writer), is the main character in my second book, "Ye Gods! A Tale of Dogs and Demons." That one is set in Puerto Rico, and it's sequel, "The Un-Familiar" (also with Jack, and George and the rest of the gang make a brief appearance) comes out on July 1. George and the marina crew will also make an appearance in the third book in that trilogy. (That trilogy is all about the chupacabra in Puerto Rico, so some supernatural elements to it-- a bit different from Marina Melee, but similar Caribbean setting and fun characters.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting and highly entertaining book. George seems like an intriguing character. God job on the review. Congratulations to Lynne M Hinkey for such a well-written book.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”