Official Review: Wild Ozark Nature Journal by Madison Woods

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2819

Official Review: Wild Ozark Nature Journal by Madison Woods

Post by CCtheBrave »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Wild Ozark Nature Journal, a collection of nature sketches and journal reflections by Madison Woods, is a one-of-a-kind book that’s best enjoyed with a steaming cup of coffee, while sitting outside, taking in nature. As someone who seeks out the small joys and quiet moments of life, I truly enjoyed reading this short, introspective book, as well as the well-crafted nature sketches that litter its pages.

Despite its very short length, there’s a lot of art and light, introspective journaling inside Wild Ozark Nature Journal. Over the course of two months, Author Madison Woods created eighteen lovely sketches and corresponding journal entries in an effort to briefly disconnect from the busyness of life every day. Reflection, nature, and being mindful of small, yet impactful moments are all themes within this book.

One of my favorite aspects of Woods’ work, in fact, centers on noticing the small things in life and connecting with them in a meaningful way, whether that be sketching, writing, or simply paying close attention to the beauty around you. Madison Woods practices this in her simple, yet quite charming, pencil sketches that accompany each journal entry. By using art to complement the reflective journal entries, the author was able to impart on readers a true sense of the calm that surrounded her while she reconnected with nature.

Another aspect of the book that I really enjoyed is that the author’s sentiments in the text are very relatable and down to earth. Oftentimes, journal-type books of this sort tend to be over-indulgent in language and a bit melancholy, making them not-so-fun to read. This book, however, is a refreshing departure from the seriousness of many “find your inner Zen” or “reconnect with the world around you” books that fill bookstores at the moment. My only gripe, really, is that I wish this book was much longer! Woods’ writing and sketching style both lend themselves to short, contemplative prompts that readers could enjoy on a daily basis.

Without a doubt, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. If you’re looking for an un-stuffy meditation book, or just some light reading material, you will definitely enjoy Wild Nature Ozark Journal by Madison Woods. Not only is the artwork a great way to allow readers into the author’s head, but the journal entries are helpful for reflecting on your own habits and mindset in life, as well. As long as you’re not looking for a serious, guided path into the world of Zen reflection, you’ll appreciate what this book has to offer. Wild Nature Ozark Journal is a delightful little read, and I am confident that the beautiful artwork will spark joy for other readers, just like it did for me.

Wild Ozark Nature Journal
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CCtheBrave's review? Post a comment saying so!
read well and write bravely
kendramw
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendramw.html

Post by kendramw »

I haven't heard of this book, but after reading your review I'll have to check it out!
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave »

it was such a pleasant little read, i hope you like it!
read well and write bravely
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I am glad you enjoyed the book. Thank you for the well-written review.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

This book sounds delightful. I'm going to look for a printed edition. It sounds like one I would go back to. Thanks for the well written review.
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”