Official Review: Divergent Chill by Brian Fontenot

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jax14
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Thursday Murder Club
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jax14.html
Latest Review: Lost on the Edge of Eternity by Jonathan Floyd
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 2
fav_author_id: 2376

Official Review: Divergent Chill by Brian Fontenot

Post by Jax14 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Divergent Chill" by Brian Fontenot.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is the second book in the Divergent Chill fantasy series and can be read as a standalone book, but I would advise that the first book be read just for the sheer spectacle of it!

Divergent Chill: Fall of Night begins not too long after the first book in the series, Battle of Nesma, ends. The Divergent Chilali, of a race almost exclusively female, found in the sacred forest and blessed with extreme speed and strength but also with excessive anger, has survived her betrayal and attempted murder. While bound in her mountain prison, she discovers in her attempts to escape that she possesses an ice elemental power and begins her quest for revenge with her new persona of Chill. Her journey back to the Empire to kill those who imprisoned her is fraught with danger. Danger in that not only must she face a terrifying new foe in the form of Nightspawn, but danger in that what was once civil about her is slipping away and a vengeful, angry monster taking its place. Meanwhile Alden Amos, who still believes Chill to be dead, has escaped from the Emperor's clutches and is stationed at Rosewood when he receives word that the Ragebourne Shank is once again killing and eating children. As he sets out with a hunting party to confront Shank for the second time, he has no idea that this quest is part of a big political game which will pit friend against friend and force foes to work together. Will Chill succeed in her desire for justice for herself, and will Alden, when realising that he is a pawn in someone else's game manage to keep those he swore to protect, safe?

I was really impressed that even though over four years had elapsed between the two novels, that the author kept the continuity in style and flow of writing. Once again characters' emotions and actions were so well described that I was right there in their world with them. Chill's first encounter with the sea had me gasping for air as I experienced every breath that she took. The colours, shapes and textures of cities, clothing and landscapes were vividly and richly portrayed. As with the first book an epic battle creates the climax to this part of the story and the movements and actions of the characters were so intensely depicted that I could feel the blades rip into my skin; and when the inevitable deaths occurred, my heart felt shattered.

Unfortunately I was disappointed in the silly editing mistakes. There weren't too many, but enough to make you stop and have to reread sentences. Looking at the series as a whole I understand where certain elements are necessary to create the storyline, but I felt that some of the explanations of the political moves became a bit stale and long-winded, causing me to lose concentration. There is a lot of violence in the book, but in its context it's necessary for the story. Those with weak stomachs may be put off though.

I rate this book by Brian Fontenot 4 out of 4 stars and would recommend it for mature young adults and up. It is another impressive instalment in the series that takes you straight out of your current environment and smack into the grimy dust of a quest, the sumptuous smells of banquet food and the rough textures of a Ragebourne's pelt. I am eagerly awaiting the next one in the series.

Divergent Chill
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jax14's review? Post a comment saying so!
DivergentZen
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DivergentZen »

Thanks for another great review, Jax.

As far as the silly editing mistakes, they are embarrassing. I'm planning a second edition of this book before I release the third.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, still, and I don't plan to let so much time lapse between books again!
Jax14
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Thursday Murder Club
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jax14.html
Latest Review: Lost on the Edge of Eternity by Jonathan Floyd
Publishing Contest Votes: 2
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Jax14 »

Thanks DivergentZen-good to know!

Keep up the great work...
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That sounds very interesting. Stories about revenge usually pique my interest and Chill seems like a formidable character. Great review! Congratulations to Brian Fontenot on such a wonderful book.
purplepeepleeater
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purplepeepleeater.html

Post by purplepeepleeater »

good review, sounds like something I would like to read. Thank you!!!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds good; betrayal, attempted murder, an ice elemental power. Cool!

Congratulations to the author for getting a good review and being Book of the Day! :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
dina s
Currently Reading: Taken - A Many Lives Story
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by dina s »

good review with interesting info about the book, my stomach is alittle weak, but I might give it a try :)
signed
Bookshelf Size: 41

Post by signed »

Thanks for the review!
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: Children of the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 3838
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

Great review! I like the description of the action and the constructive points too. Sounds like the author has quite an accomplished series, especially after the editing mistakes are corrected.
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
jungkookblog
Currently Reading: Unspeakable Acts
Bookshelf Size: 217
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jungkookblog.html

Post by jungkookblog »

Awesome review! Gotta love fantasy books.
Seraphia Bunny Sparks
Currently Reading: Lying Lainey
Bookshelf Size: 653
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seraphia-bunny-sparks.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah
Reading Device: B01J94T4R2

Post by Seraphia Bunny Sparks »

Talk about a really good review!! This sounds like a really good book that I'd want to read! Definitely adding to my TBR shelf! Going to have to get the first one and then start from there! Sounds good though! Thanks for your review!
MandalynnJDG
Currently Reading: Spirituality for REAL
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalynnjdg.html
Latest Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Post by MandalynnJDG »

This sounds like an awesome book! Looking forward to reading it!
DivergentZen
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DivergentZen »

Hope you enjoy it if you check it out. Today marks one year since it's initial Kindle release and I'm glad I can celebrate the occasion a little with all of you.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

I love that it can be read as a standalone novel even with being the second book. It sounds like an action-packed adventure!
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Great review! I love that this works as a stand alone book and as part of a series. You have a way with words! Your description of reading this book is wonderful!
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”