Official Review: The Knights of Nevertheless

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: The Knights of Nevertheless

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Knights of Nevertheless" by R.A. McClure.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Knights of Nevertheless: Escape from the Shadows Volume 1 is a fantasy novel written by R.A. Mc Clure.

Told in the third person perspective, the story was about Ava and her two sons, Stranth and Onar, as they escaped the dark kingdom of Terra Dombren. Terra Dombren was a baleful, gloomy and hopeless land ruled by the evil warlord Cam. It was separated from the peaceful and prosperous land of Menetoy, ruled by King Agathos, by the Great Wall of Fire.

When Ava confirmed that her husband, Les, completely succumbed to the allure of darkness, she decided to flee the land with her two sons. During their flight, they were guided by Archer, a kind guardian of the Seekers, who saved Ava earlier from the attack of a ferocious fowl. Seekers were those who wish to escape Terra Dombren in search of light and peace, and Archer was commissioned by the king of Menetoy to guide them through the Wall.

The story was a fast-paced, action-packed adventure, complete with fighting scenes and monstrous creature attacks. There was no dull moment nor was there any irrelevant scene or character. The author successfully created a woeful and sinister land inhabited by hapless citizens and savage creatures like fowls and dongrels.

In addition, the book was teeming with endearing characters. Ava was a brave and strong-willed woman and a loving and protective mother. The older son, Stranth was brave, wise and caring while the younger, Onar, was fearless and perceptive. Both boys were good with weapons and both were skilled hunters. Archer was the upstanding guardian, loyal to his mission and gentle with the woman he loves.

However, I encountered a few problems with the book. First was the indeterminate time. It was narrated in the first chapter that ‘..it was the time after time’ and there were passages like ‘Every structure built by the hands of men had fallen into heaps of rubble..’ which can be taken as post-apocalyptic era. However, the use of sword and bows and arrows were indicative of medieval period. Second was the extent of Archer’s abilities. He was portrayed earlier as someone who can see through people but, he was unable to detect the malicious intent behind the invitation of their hostess later in the book. I took it, though, as a result of the darkness prevalent in town that limited his ability. Finally, I noticed some sentence fragments and other errors.

Regardless of those, however, it was an engaging book with a very moving ending which made the reader want to read Volume 2 at the soonest possible time. In view of that, I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to those who love fantasy, action and adventure novels. It is a story about love, hate, light, darkness, faith and hope.

The Knights of Nevertheless
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Great review! I love fantasy, and you've convinced me to read this book! I also love the book's title, it sounds mysterious and satisfying at the same time (I hope that makes sense).
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your review. The book doesn't seem like my cup of tea, but you certainly gave a good picture of what to expect. The fantasy genre is very popular, however, so I am sure this book will attract many readers!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

LivreAmour217 wrote:Great review! I love fantasy, and you've convinced me to read this book! I also love the book's title, it sounds mysterious and satisfying at the same time (I hope that makes sense).
Thank you very much. In a way, yes, I think it makes sense :D

-- 12 Mar 2016, 10:21 --
bookowlie wrote:I enjoyed reading your review. The book doesn't seem like my cup of tea, but you certainly gave a good picture of what to expect. The fantasy genre is very popular, however, so I am sure this book will attract many readers!
Thank you. I hope this review, somehow, help attract readers.
R_A_McClure
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by R_A_McClure »

Thank you for your encouraging review! I am disappointed that after a professional copy-edit, you still found a few fragments and other errors...I am especially gratified that you would like to read Volume 2 which is currently in production, and will clarify the limitations on Archer's abilities while in the shadow lands of Terra Dombren.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

R_A_McClure wrote:Thank you for your encouraging review! I am disappointed that after a professional copy-edit, you still found a few fragments and other errors...I am especially gratified that you would like to read Volume 2 which is currently in production, and will clarify the limitations on Archer's abilities while in the shadow lands of Terra Dombren.
Thank you for your comment. Your book is great and I enjoyed reading it. I'm looking forward to the next one. Congratulations!
Swiftmover07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swiftmover07.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Swiftmover07 »

Sounds engaging! I will definitely have to check this out. Great review!
Goodnight sweet prince, may flights of devils wing you to your rest. - Anne Rice
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Swiftmover07 wrote:Sounds engaging! I will definitely have to check this out. Great review!
Thank you very much. I hope others will enjoy it as much as I did.

-- 13 Mar 2016, 03:16 --
Swiftmover07 wrote:Sounds engaging! I will definitely have to check this out. Great review!
Thank you very much. I hope others will enjoy it as much as I did.
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

Great review, kimmyschemy! I'm not a great admirer of the book which is packed with adventures and fights. However, I like that the characters are developed well. And the themes touched in the book seem to be appealing.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

chytach18- wrote:Great review, kimmyschemy! I'm not a great admirer of the book which is packed with adventures and fights. However, I like that the characters are developed well. And the themes touched in the book seem to be appealing.
Thank you very much. The characters of this book are so endearing I found myself cheering them on as they fled :)
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Great review! The book sounds very promising and intriguing. I like to read action and adventure novels now and then.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

gali wrote:Great review! The book sounds very promising and intriguing. I like to read action and adventure novels now and then.
Thank you very much.
Bigirimana Celestin
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigirimana-celestin.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bigirimana Celestin »

Good job kimmyschemy06, I enjoyed reading your review.
It is awesome with good critics.
Thanks
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
― Maya Angelou
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

bigirimanacelestin wrote:Good job kimmyschemy06, I enjoyed reading your review.
It is awesome with good critics.
Thanks
Thank you!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Excellent review, kimmyschemy06! I liked how you briefly described some of the characters. It makes the book more alluring getting to know the characters.

Congratulations to the author for getting such a great review! :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”