What faction would you have chosen at 16?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
accioawesomeness
Currently Reading: The Casual Vacancy
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-accioawesomeness.html

Re: What faction would you have chosen at 16?

Post by accioawesomeness »

I would've probably been born into Erudite, my parents definitely value education very much. I myself would probably choose to be in Abnegation. I have a really strong moral compass and I feel like if I could do something in my life to make others happier and make this world a better place in general, that life would've been worth living.
I could see myself thriving in Erudite as well, though, because I'm really quite a nerd and I love learning. It's the Erudite's solely analytical and logical thinking that kind of puts me off. I take action on instinct a lot more than I do on thinking, strategy and analysis.
rosemarieshort
Currently Reading: Vanity Fair
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemarieshort.html

Post by rosemarieshort »

In my head it would be Dauntless. But I think in reality I would probably be Erudite. I have always loved to learn and I don't know if I could live in a world where learning was not some kind of priority for me. Saying that, if I were brought up in a faction which wasn't Erudite I may not have that instinct...unless I were Divergent!! :)
Morgan_Malone
Currently Reading: Queen of Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-malone.html
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine

Post by Morgan_Malone »

Erudite! Honestly, I would probably still choose Erudite today. I definitely couldn't do all the things from Dauntless (I mean jumping off trains? Who am I, Spiderman?" ), I'm too stubborn and argumentative for Amity, I like to keep to things to myself so Candor wouldn't have worked out. And sadly, I'm not self-less enough to be in Abnegation. I do however, have a passion for learning and research that would definitely work out at Erudite.
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine
Krambkn
Currently Reading: Crown on Midnight (Throne of Glass #2)
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krambkn.html

Post by Krambkn »

I would have been born into Candor, my family was all about be open and honest throughout my entire childhood. I would like to think that 16 year old me would either stay in Candor or switch to Erudite because I value knowledge and think that it is incredibly important.
literaturelover
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading: Chances
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literaturelover.html
Latest Review: "Red Romeo" by Peter Bernhardt
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by literaturelover »

My Parents are definitely Amity. I like the easy attitude of Amity, so at 16 and now I probably would have picked Amity. 2 of my Siblings would be Dauntless. My youngest sister is my copy so she would definitely be Amity like me.
"The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid."
Jane Austen
Latest Review: "Red Romeo" by Peter Bernhardt
Aithne
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aithne.html
Latest Review: "Chains of Mist" by T.C. Metivier

Post by Aithne »

My parents would be Amity, I think. They are very creative and easy going. I would have chosen dauntless, amity or erudite. It would have depended on the culture of the sections at that time. I have an attitude and like doing my own thing, tattoos, etc. like the dauntless but I also have a thirst for knowledge and a creative streak. But, Amity were so easy going they refused to face conflict, dauntless had little regard for their own health and erudite were stuck up and refused to see the benefits of common sense over an endless craving for knowledge... Every house, taken to its extreme like that, had major faults.
Latest Review: "Chains of Mist" by T.C. Metivier
jbt 01
Favorite Author: A.G Howard
Currently Reading: Jane Eyre
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jbt-01.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by jbt 01 »

I would have chosen Amity because I love nature and gardening. And I think I would really enjoy the peacefulness of Amity. :D
VinuW
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinuw.html
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
fav_author_id: 782

Post by VinuW »

Everyone in my family is smart-mouthed, so I would be born into Candor. I'd join Erudite since I happen to be a big nerd. :)
“He who jumps may fall, but he may also fly. It’s time to jump.” Lauren Oliver, Requiem
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
Hans08
Currently Reading: Onyx
Bookshelf Size: 688
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hans08.html
Latest Review: "Ghost Girl" by Stephen Hazlett

Post by Hans08 »

I'll probably choose Dauntless. I've always wanted to be fearless. There's something just fulfilling about living without fear and giving your all everytime.
Latest Review: "Ghost Girl" by Stephen Hazlett
vortex189
Currently Reading: Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion #1)
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vortex189.html
Latest Review: "The Shape of Rain" by Nick Hirst

Post by vortex189 »

I probably would have been born Factionless. I was raised in a family that does not fit into any of the categories. I myself would want to be Divergent because I believe in all of the factions and they each have a great purpose. I believe that people should always help others and not only help others in a general sense but go out of their way to help others. Since I run a non-profit I think I would qualify for Abnegation. I always believe that people should never lie no matter how small or large. Truth trumps all. Also, education is very important to me. One of the reason I love to read so much. It is one way I learn so many things. And lastly I am a brave person who likes to challenge things that do not make sense to me. I also enjoy living a life to save the planet and I am generally very happy no matter how bad things get. I grew up most of my life in a bad environment and do not want to waste any of my time being unhappy.
Latest Review: "The Shape of Rain" by Nick Hirst
Bookaholic14
Currently Reading: Life and Death
Bookshelf Size: 373
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookaholic14.html
Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
Reading Device: B00HNOWHRU

Post by Bookaholic14 »

I think I would have been born into Erudite, as my family has always placed a very high value on education. Having obtained *only* a college degree, I am the "black sheep" of my family, the rest of whom all hold university degrees.

I'm not sure I would have chosen a faction. I think I would have approached it by process of elimination.
* I am not selfless enough to be Abnegation.
* I am not brave and fearless enough to be Dauntless.
* I am not honest enough to be Candor.
* I am not peaceful enough to be Amnity.
* Given my 'lack' of higher education, I am not Erudite.
After all the debating, I think I would have elected to stay with the faction I was born into: Erudite. Although I am not as educated as the rest of my family, I have always dreamed of returning to school.

To a degree, I think we are already compelled to make a decision that will determine our life’s course at the age of sixteen. I remember looking through the various post-secondary options in high school at 16-17 years old and feeling woefully under-prepared for choosing a path for higher education, and ultimately my profession. The saving grace is that we have the opportunity to change our mind and pursue another path if we choose.
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. – Neil Gaiman
Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
doyle5
Currently Reading: Steelheart
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doyle5.html

Post by doyle5 »

I would have been born into Dauntless. My family has a strong military background. Even though my dad is retired he still helps anyway he can. My sibling and I where taught how to handle weapons such as guns, knifes, and taught self-defense. In other words, the world of Tris and Four I would have been very much adapted to the Dauntless culture; however, at heart I would have been Abnegation. But, I would stay with Dauntless because family is too important to me.
The_Venturas
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-venturas.html

Post by The_Venturas »

I would choose amity. Eventough i've been raised in a family with military background, but still we loved peace. We often think that having a long-lasting conflict wouldn't make us any better and won't solve the problem in any ways. Other than that, i think that happiness and freedom are more valued than anything. So, i would go with amity, where people live happily, free with lots of garden :D
ash77atc
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ash77atc.html
Latest Review: "Broken Places" by Rachel Thompson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by ash77atc »

I would have been born into Erudite because my mother is a teacher and education is a big part of my upbringing. Although I value education I would not have chosen Erudite, and I would have chosen Dauntless instead. I am not as eager to conform to each and every rule at times and would enjoy breaking free of the monotony of life by being Dauntless. I love adrenaline rushes, although the zip line thing is probably something I would need a few shots of whisky beforehand to steady my nerves. I also have a bunch of tattoos so there is also that. Dauntless is being brave when others would cower in fear.
Latest Review: "Broken Places" by Rachel Thompson
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I think I would have been born into Dauntless because my family is all about risk-taking, bravery, and adventure. But I think I would've chosen Erudite because I love learning new things and using my brain :P
I think we already make decisions at 16 that determine our life course, I mean generally we have to choose what courses to take in school so we have to have an idea of what career we want. But of course the decisions we make are not as huge as choosing a faction. :P

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”