Official Review: Stone Cottage by Maighread MacKay

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Stone Cottage by Maighread MacKay

Post by MsMartha »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Stone Cottage" by Maighread MacKay.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Stone Cottage by Maighread MacKay is an interesting book about a haunted house in Canada and the relationship between a woman who wants to buy the house, and a young woman who has lived there, alive or not.
Victoria Anne McBride is the ghost, a woman who died in 1875. She lives alone at the Stone Cottage, and believes she is waiting for her husband to return home. A large part of the story is about her life and the relationships she had with her parents, husband, and daughter.

Rebecca Wainwright is a living woman who is a senior executive in her family’s business. She struggles with anxiety attacks that began to occur when her father died. She has had good medical help, and has a husband, David, and a friend named Cissy who are loving and supportive, but she has not fully recovered. Rebecca decides to take a drive into the country and see if she can find a small house where she could spend personal time, as part of the healing process. She discovers Stone Cottage, which is for sale. As she looks around at the property, she has a detailed vision of Victoria with her daughter and father. Rebecca not only becomes interested in the house: she needs to understand what she saw, and why she saw it.

This is a very detailed book, in many ways. There are backstories about both Rebecca and Victoria that are very lengthy. Rebecca’s friend, Cissy, is deeply involved with the research about the house, Victoria’s life, and her possible connection to Rebecca. Personally, I found it fascinating to see how the story developed, and how all the details meshed and came to a conclusion.

Some aspects of the story were done quite well. One of the best examples is the research Rebecca and Cissy do about reincarnation, and their visits to a regressionist (someone who guides them through an earlier life event). This was not only interesting, it was very well written.

One thing that I occasionally had trouble with was the backstories. Besides being very long, in some cases it was difficult to grasp the timing of the events. I occasionally found it necessary to reread a chapter to see if I could discover a detail that would make the timing clearer.

I also noticed some issues that could simply be resolved with editing, as opposed to rewriting. Spelling was good, but there were other things that could be corrected. For example, some sentences had missing words, such as “I wonder who she.” Some had extra words, such as “they their friendship”. In Chapter 26 there were two words, cit and ton, that I didn’t understand, even after checking the dictionary. (I wonder if these were actually partial words, or possibly misspelled.) Some paragraphs would be better if it was determined whether to use past or present tense, not both at the same time.

As much as I enjoyed the well-done sections of this book, I do think additional editing would make it much better. As a result, I’m rating it as 2 out of 4 stars, but I think that there is great potential for a higher rating. Please note, in case this is a concern, that there are some detailed sexual encounters in this book; but in general, I think Stone Cottage will catch the interest of readers who like ghost stories and are interested in reincarnation. I would also suggest it to someone who is curious to find out if they would enjoy stories of this kind.

Stone Cottage
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MsMartha's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Maighread MacKay
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Maighread MacKay »

Thank you for your review. As clarification, neither "cit" nor "ton" were misspelled nor only partial words. They are British words that would be well known to the aristocracy of the time. Henrietta was the daughter of an Earl and Countess. The word "ton" means the upper aristocracy in which they circulated. No one of that era or class wished to offend the ton. A "cit" was a person of great wealth, but one that had worked for his living, rather than inheriting it. Work for the upper class was frowned on and even though Henrietta was titled, her husband was not and would be considered a cit. Her family and friends would put up with him because of his wealth, but they definitely would have looked down their noses at him.
MsMartha

Post by MsMartha »

Maighread, thank you so much for this information! I thought I remembered the word ton from a book I read MANY years ago, but I didn't have any luck searching for it. Cit is new for me. I really appreciate your response.
Maighread MacKay

Does that bump me up to a 3? :)
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. The premise sounds promising. I like ghost stories. Too bad about the flaws, though. Good job on the review.
Maighread MacKay

Hi Kimmy: If you would like to sample the writing, you can go on Amazon and read a few chapters for free.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Maighread MacKay wrote:Hi Kimmy: If you would like to sample the writing, you can go on Amazon and read a few chapters for free.
Will do. I love your cover, by the way. Kind of creepy :)
Maighread MacKay

Thanks, Kimmy. I love it too. Solstice Publishing is the publisher who designed the cover and published the book. I got the idea for the book from Robert Schwartz's book "Your Soul's Plan". It is an excellent study of reincarnation, pre-birth planning, and past life regression. I wanted to present the concept in a novel format, thus Stone Cottage was born. :)
MsMartha

Post by MsMartha »

I have to agree that this was a spectacular cover.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Great review! I usually enjoy ghost stories, and this one seems very interesting, so I am tempted to put it on my reading list.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Wonderful review! Even with the issues you mentioned, I am still interested in reading this book. It sounds very intriguing and one that I may enjoy! Thank you! :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Maighread MacKay

Thank you LivreAmour217 and hsimone for your kind words. One other review on the Canadian site of Amazon that you might find helpful reads:

5.0 out of 5 starsI thoroughly enjoyed the story that MacKay has weaved in that it ...
By Rick Pyves on Jan. 11 2016
Format: Kindle Edition

I thoroughly enjoyed the story that MacKay has weaved in that it was entertaining, unexpected and kept be wanting to read on. I am looking forward to her next book. I appreciated the authenticity of both the characters and setting and it is obvious that MacKay has researched the time period and the settings well.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”