Official Review: Bite Me by Laura C Lefkowitz, DVM

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Official Review: Bite Me by Laura C Lefkowitz, DVM

Post by Paliden »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bite Me" by Laura C Lefkowitz, DVM.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bite Me: Tell-All Tales of an Emergency Veterinarian by Laura Lefkowitz, DVM, is a non-fiction, personal memoir. Prepare to be amazed!

This was a wonderful book! I enjoyed it immensely. The chapters are short and aptly named. The writing style is riveting. I loved the use of black and white photos at the beginning of each chapter. I felt that I knew the author personally. Dr. Lefkowitz is a superb writer! She draws you in to her own personal life and then shares some of her rawest memories.

Honestly, this book was a lot more than I expected it to be. I laughed out loud more times than I can remember. I cried.......several times. Once, was when Dr. Lefkowitz shares the driving reason for her choosing to become a vet, and I have to warn you, it's insane and heartbreaking.

The author also shares about a year that she spent traveling around the world on a bike. I don't want to say much more about that, but I will say this. I have lived in third world countries for many years. The raw, gritty, and often unheard of, stories that she shares are all too real. The reality that the rest of the world operates under is by no means the same as the rose-colored glasses that we, as first world citizens, see through. I thoroughly appreciate the author's honesty in sharing these, often heartbreaking, stories.

There were so many wonderful stories in this book! One of my favorites is the story of Doris, the miniature poodle. Doris is hilarious! She is also insane, literally. Her escapades are truly one of a kind, and I am sure that anyone who reads this book will end up loving Doris as much as I do. Although I have to say, I could not stop laughing when I read that Dr. Lefkowitz gave Doris a Mohawk and then proceeded to dye it!

Once again, I loved this book! I would recommend it to anyone who loves animals, to the aspiring veterinarian, to the ones who just love a good memoir, and to anyone that wants a good laugh. If you have ever read James Herriot's books, you will love this one! It is more modern, of course, but closely related. I deeply appreciate Dr. Lefkowitz's profession and her willingness to spread a little awareness about the life of veterinarians. I am rating this book 4 out of 4 stars!

Bite Me
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Paliden's review? Post a comment saying so!
Lefkovet
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Lefkovet »

I can't thank you enough for such an amazingly positive review....you managed to summarize up the book with so much expression and understanding and heart. It is so important to me at this stage in my career to represent the veterinary field in a realistic manner so that people can better understand the difficulties and struggles (and joys) that go along with being a veterinarian.

....and Doris thinks she's pretty special too!
-Laura
Last edited by Lefkovet on 01 Mar 2016, 11:26, edited 1 time in total.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

The only book about animals that I read was by James Herriot. It was actually a series of books (All Creatures Great and Small) and I enjoyed them immensely. I can say I love books about animals and I think I'm going to like this book. Nice review. Congratulations to Laura C Lefkowitz, DVM.
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html

Post by Paliden »

Lefkovet wrote:I can't thank you enough for such an amazingly positive review....you managed to summarize up the book with so much expression and understanding and heart. It is so important to me at this stage in my career to represent the veterinary field in a realistic manner so that people can better understand the difficulties and struggles (and joys) that go along with being a veterinarian.

....and Doris thinks she's pretty special too!
-Laura
Thank you! You did a wonderful job!! :)

-- 02 Mar 2016, 07:07 --
kimmyschemy06 wrote:The only book about animals that I read was by James Herriot. It was actually a series of books (All Creatures Great and Small) and I enjoyed them immensely. I can say I love books about animals and I think I'm going to like this book. Nice review. Congratulations to Laura C Lefkowitz, DVM.

Yes, if you enjoyed James Herriot, you will love this book!!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Wonderful review, Paliden! Your enthuasiam over the book shines through your writing! Seems like a good find :)

Congratulations to the author in receiving such a positive book review! :tiphat:
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

This sounds wonderful! I'm a cat mom who has been going to the same veterinarian group for--well, let's just say a long time, OK?--and I'm not sure who I appreciate most, my cats or their doctors ;-)
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”