Official Review: Frozen Mystic by Steven Mouland

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eric Morris
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: The Other Daughter
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacnthabox.html
Latest Review: Acts of the Shaddai by Anthony Jones
fav_author_id: 4040

Official Review: Frozen Mystic by Steven Mouland

Post by Eric Morris »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Frozen Mystic" by Steven Mouland.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I have said before that I am hesitant to read or review books that take place in the middle of a series; alas, I chose to do both for Steven N. Mouland’s Frozen Mystic, which is the third book in his Children of the Zodiac cycle, preceded by Frozen Path and Frozen Souls. The biggest reason for this decision is that the first two books were reviewed and given four stars by two OBC reviewers that I admire greatly, Kappy and Levi, respectively. I am always on the lookout for a rising star in the realm of Fantasy Fiction, so I stood on their promises that I would find some worthwhile reading along with an original take on the common motifs of magic, sword-wielding, dragons, and unearthly beasts. Although I did truly enjoy the book, I must offer this warning: There were a decent number of issues and events from the previous two book in the trilogy that were not reintroduced to bring the reader up to speed, so I can’t promise that this review will be devoid of spoilers; given that I have no knowledge of any cliffhangers or surprises that were carried over, I may mention story elements that were meant to be plot twists or moments of suspense prior to where I picked up this series.

Frozen Mystic, like its predecessors, takes place in the world of Arteriea. It is a world on the brink of ultimate war between the forces of good and evil. The Zodiac Children, a select fated few, have been chosen to fight this war against the Shadow and the minions of darkness. However, the perils of wielding the power of the Zodiac are just as dangerous as the evil the Children are fighting to defeat; the power seems to be a sentient being with its own consciousness and will consume its master if not constantly kept in check. Also, each Child is unaware of who the others are and, guided only by vague dreams and visions, must find the other Children. Only after they discover each other, and themselves, can they truly hope to be powerful enough to locate and defeat the Shadow and the wielder of Chaos. As the Children prepare for battle, they will learn that victory is not without costs. Destinies must be changed, allies will become enemies, and lives will require ultimate sacrifice; even then, do they really have a chance?

Frozen Mystic has several qualities about it that are popular among readers. First, the book is nothing if not straightforward. There is no fluff to be found here; the descriptions are precise, and the majority of the narrative is either action or dialogue. While I enjoy rich detail and long-winded prose, I can definitely appreciate a rapid-fire narrative that doesn’t waste any time getting straight to the heart of the matter. Besides, this type of approach seems to be working very well for James Patterson. Additionally, Mr. Mouland does a wonderful job blending fantasy mainstays such as wizardry, trolls, dragons, and the like, with his own fantastic and original ideas. If every fantasy book was a clone of Tolkien, we’d only read Tolkien, but Mouland definitely brings some fresh concepts to the traditional epic. Finally, Mr. Mouland develops his characters, not by his words, but by their actions. The reader is not simply told about Gallowyn’s love for Jeremisias or Reichan’s distrust of Aramus; he or she learns those things through conversation and interaction. All in all, the author was able to succinctly tell a balanced story with relatable characters while not wasting any time on elements that were less than one hundred percent intrinsic to the main story arc.

On the other hand, there are a couple of issues I would like to point out. Most importantly, the author gives absolutely no background to what happened in the previous two books. There are several times when a character recounts what happened the last time they met or still remembers how their last conversation ended, but the author never elaborates. This implies to the reader that something important happened at some point prior to Frozen Mystic, but unless the reader goes back and reads those books, he or she will never know exactly what took place. The book is written for those who have already read the first two installments in the series. Another thing that bothered me, albeit to a much lesser extent, is that Mr. Mouland’s writing style translates poorly on the limited occasions when the action does slow down a bit. He looked at his computer screen. He took a breath. He typed the first word. He deleted it. He retyped it. He yawned. He thought about what he wanted to say. He completed the paragraph. This style works perfectly with the frantic heat of battle, but when a character is having a beer at the tavern and relaxing, it just doesn’t convey the proper ambience and attitude to the situation. Again, there is not much slowing down in this book, so it doesn’t matter that often; however, in those few instances, the writing style becomes a distraction.

Overall, I enjoyed Frozen Mystic, and I positively will be purchasing the first two Children of the Zodiac installments. The end of the book also announces a new trilogy in the cycle, circa 2017, as well as a new series beginning this year. I will also acquire them as they are released. Steven Mouland is just getting started as an author, and I believe he has the potential to attract a decent following. I’m giving Frozen Mystic 3 out of 4 Stars. I do recommend reading the Children of the Zodiac cycle in publication order, but I have little doubt that fans of epic fantasy will enjoy this series and become immersed in the adventures of the heroes and villains of Arteriea. I extend my congratulations and appreciation to the author, and I look forward to more tales in the near future.

Frozen Mystic
View: on Bookshelves

Like jacnthabox's review? Post a comment saying so!
Tell me something...You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?
scoepiovaeden
Bookshelf Size: 1
Publishing Contest Votes: 5

Post by scoepiovaeden »

Thank you very much for the review, and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the journey that Jeres and company have taken in their adventure.

I really appreciate the comment in which you indicate "develops his character, not by his words, but by their actions," as character development and personality is the main aspect of writing that I try to achieve success in.

I also truly appreciate the constructive criticism that you pointed out in my slower sections, or down-time that happens in stories. I hope to improve upon this in my stories to come. One thing that I have learned throughout this series is the importance of capturing character emotions and improving dialogue. So I am hoping in my next few books I can build upon this and enhance slower moments.

Again thank you for the awesome feedback!
Eric Morris

Post by Eric Morris »

Thank you, sir, for the opportunity. Again, congratulations on your achievement, and I look forward to reading future installments. I truly enjoyed your book.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

This sounds like a series to watch out for. Thanks for the great review!
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I got the pervious books, and bought this one as well. Thank you for the interesting review.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Eric Morris

Post by Eric Morris »

Rachaelamb1 wrote:This sounds like a series to watch out for. Thanks for the great review!
-- 19 Feb 2016, 00:25 --
gali wrote:I got the pervious books, and bought this one as well. Thank you for the interesting review.
Thank you both!! I am looking to dive full throttle into this series as well.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I read the review of Frozen Souls by Levi. This series sounds interesting and very promising. Great review.
Eric Morris

Post by Eric Morris »

I agree totally. Check Mr Mouland out... He also has a separate series kicking off this year that looks promising. There is an excerpt at the end of Frozen Mystic.
kfagan-14
Currently Reading: Darkness Falling
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfagan-14.html
Latest Review: "When Dragons Die" by Mark Franzosa

Post by kfagan-14 »

This series sounds really good. It's definitely going on my reading list. Thank you for the great review!
Latest Review: "When Dragons Die" by Mark Franzosa
Eric Morris

Post by Eric Morris »

kfagan-14 wrote:This series sounds really good. It's definitely going on my reading list. Thank you for the great review!
Thank you for the kind words. I hope you enjoy the series!!
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

I love books that develops characters through action and interaction rather than description. Fantastic review thanks for sharing.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I feel like this series is something I should probably look into because like you said kappy and Levi and now you have liked these books. Wonderful, descriptive review! :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”