Has anyone read Patricia Cornwell

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
teecarroll97
Bookshelf Size: 0

Icon Has anyone read Patricia Cornwell

Post by teecarroll97 »

Has anyone else read Patricia Cornwell's books?
I have only ever read her Kay Scarpetta novels. I would recommend these books to everyone and anyone who loves crime thrillers :D
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Well, I once read a summary of the typical Cornwell novel: "Someone gets murdered and everyone else goes skiing."

It's kind of a book version of "Murder She Wrote".

Also, in recent years -- I don't know when Cornwell started this -- but she had a ghostwriter who did most of her writing, they got into a dispute, she fired the writer, and since then her books have nose dived. Any author who hires ghostwriters to do the real work are despicable. Sorry.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I have read several of her books, but got tired of her. I loved her early books, but her latest books bored me. After reading the above post, I understand the reason for it.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

I don't know at which point Cornwell chose to use a ghostwriter, but it was after she'd reached some success. And things went along pretty well, she essentially rubber stamping the ghost's efforts until they split, and her new "persona" (ghost) isn't as good.

There was a thread in this forum about ghostwriting. I've been asked to ghost some stories. It's always the same, someone knows you're a published author and tells you "I've got some great ideas for stories. What if I give you those ideas and you write the stories, and we split the money?" and my reply is always "Tell you what. You write your stories, I'll write mine, and we each keep a hundred percent of what me make."

I would never ghostwrite.

As for Cornwell, I never cared much for her stuff but I don't like those types of "genteel" mysteries anyway -- too many mansions and rich people and stuff. For me, I'm a fan of the noir and darker stuff. As Raymond Chandler said of Dashiell Hammett, "He took murder out of the drawing room and put it back into the streets where it belongs."
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
VictoriaHopwood
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriahopwood.html

Post by VictoriaHopwood »

Yes, I've recently started reading Post-Mortem and I really like it so far!!
PaulaSofia
Currently Reading: You
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by PaulaSofia »

gali wrote:I have read several of her books, but got tired of her. I loved her early books, but her latest books bored me. After reading the above post, I understand the reason for it.
I feel exactly the same about her. Her latest were stale and boring, I couldn't even remember many details.

I didn't have any idea about the ghostwriting though, very disappointing
Jdurand2
Favorite Author: Sherrilyn Kenyon
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 9434">Born of Night (The League Series Book 1)</a>
Currently Reading: The Dark Queen (The Dark Queens Book 5)
Bookshelf Size: 1369
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdurand2.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 3137

Post by Jdurand2 »

I have never read her books, but I have listened to many of them on tape or CD. I like to read romance, but my husband would not let me put that on the radio for our road trips. We compromised on some of her Scarpetta books and really enjoyed them. I don't think I could have read them, as they are not really the type I enjoy. I would highly recommend listening to them on a long trip - or just for fun.
Jessica Durand
Readaholic
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
― Sherrilyn Kenyon, Dance with the Devil
Mike_Lang
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50592">The Life and Times of The Thunderbolt Kid</a>
Currently Reading: Mississippi Noir
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mike-lang.html
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mike_Lang »

moderntimes wrote:For me, I'm a fan of the noir and darker stuff. As Raymond Chandler said of Dashiell Hammett, "He took murder out of the drawing room and put it back into the streets where it belongs."
I agree! Pretty sure you and I have either had this same discussion or both participated in a similar one on another thread.

I have read several of Ms. Cornwell's earlier novels and they were okay-ish...my problem with her work is that it becomes somewhat generic after a few books.

I have the same problem with many other popular mystery authors and even popular T.V. shows (C.S.I., Criminal Minds, The Mentalist), after a few books (or episodes) they become more or less interchangeable.

Not to say they aren't entertaining or interesting but they just don't have a lot of distinctive storylines from one to the next. If you have an extremely talented writer they can sometimes make that situation work, but most writer's with that kind of talent don't waste time retelling the same story unless they have a new angle to it.
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
Amose13
Currently Reading: Dragonfly in Amber
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amose13.html
Latest Review: "Jungle Paradise" by A N King

Post by Amose13 »

I enjoyed her earlier books, but I, like many other commenters, lost interest in her books. Though I did really enjoy her non fiction "Portrait of a Killer" about Jack the Ripper. She writes well, but if she did indeed begin using a ghostwriter, that is rather disappointing. I enjoy the realistic stuff (I work in a coroner's, and read crime and thriller novels voraciously....weird as it sounds lol) and especially like when the science and techniques are authentic.That is what I originally enjoyed about her novels. Kathy Reichs' scientific explorations in the Temperance Brennen novels is fantastic (though the stories aren't as spectacular as before)
Latest Review: "Jungle Paradise" by A N King
Carmen
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carmen.html

Post by Carmen »

Yes, and I too really appreciate her work. She can get pretty twisted at times, but that is what makes her books hook you.
tortoise keeper
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tortoise-keeper.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Reading Device: B0192AFG7A

Post by tortoise keeper »

I used to read Patricia Cornwell years ago. I got tired of her books because I liked how they started, and then it seemed like the last three chapters were a rush to finish the book. It was like the book deadline was suddenly due and she sat up all night to finish it.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Nichol

Post by Nichol »

Post Mortem was not a bad read. Not my favorite genre but enjoyed it
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

I have to agree that the earlier books were more enjoyable than the more recent ones. My whole family used to read them! My sister would buy a copy for Christmas, and then it would be read by the relatives until everyone was done but me--since I lived in a different state, it was sent to me last ;-)
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

Maybe the last books aren't as good as the earlier ones. But since I haven't found any totally reliable source that says she does have a ghost writer, I'm not judging her yet. I love her writing and I appreciate the times she got me glued to my bed unable to get up because of all the tension. Kay Scarpetta pulled me through some really boring times as well.
Sabina G
Currently Reading: The Scarpetta Factor
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabina-g.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Sabina G »

I have read the Scarpetta Factor and All that Remains. Loved them both. I read them in Spanish and I'm looking forward to reading them in English as well as her other works.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Return to “Discuss Authors”