Official Review: The Day of the Tiger by William Peskett

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2819

Official Review: The Day of the Tiger by William Peskett

Post by CCtheBrave »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Day of the Tiger" by William Peskett.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Day of the Tiger And Other Stories, by William Peskett, is a compilation of wonderfully inventive short stories that are primarily set in Thailand and are all incredibly different in style. Despite the commonality of Thailand, each story is unique and told by narrators that differ in gender, ethnicity, social status, and even species.

The namesake of the compilation, “The Day of the Tiger,” will draw readers into discussions of slavery, morality, and animal and human rights without coming across as too dark or heavy. On the other hand, “The Sea Isle of Itsara,” reads like the stories of the great author and poet, Jorge Luis Borges, because of its haunting narrative prose and full descriptive scenes. Often, William Peskett’s stories have an air of mystery that creeps up on readers as the plotline proceeds. With eleven stories in all, The Day of the Tiger and Other Stories provides countless hours of reading and thought-provoking ideas.

Readers who enjoy short stories for their variety and mystery will truly appreciate this book. William Peskett constructed stories where the protagonists are diverse and whose actions are believable. One of the strongest aspects of this book is that the author is able to get readers to sympathize with the main character of each story, despite their sometimes thieving, compulsive, or fear-driven behavior. “Planter’s Punch,” for example, is so gripping that before you know it, you’ll be cheering as the antagonist, a plantation owner in rural Thailand, punches his arrogant dinner guest over drinks. Anytime an author is able to get readers to recognize and appreciate the humanity within corrupt or untrustworthy people (as Peskett himself has done in this work) I feel that the author has truly made a literary impact.

The Day of the Tiger And Other Stories has little to no flaws and it is written incredibly well. Peskett’s writing will surely draw readers into his microcosm worlds of everything from high-stakes bribery to transgender struggles. None of the stories are too long or too short, and each one has just the right balance of humor and seriousness. More importantly, the stories within this collection are memorable, particularly because the author so expertly depicts the main characters of each story.

Overall, I rate this books 4 out of 4 stars because I was surprised and thrilled by most of the stories within. I thoroughly enjoyed the rich details that William Peskett wove into each storyline and the way in which he kept me, as a reader, wondering where the story would go. I will definitely be reading more from this author and I highly recommend reading The Day of the Tiger And Other Stories.

The Day of the Tiger
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | Hassle-Free Sample

Like CCtheBrave's review? Post a comment saying so!
read well and write bravely
rosscurry
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by rosscurry »

I have always loved to read about the Eastern culture. Sounds like a good book. Will take a look.
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave »

This book definitely gives you a taste of eastern culture. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the writing. I hope you enjoy it.
read well and write bravely
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a great read. I would love to read about Thailand. Great review! Congratulations to William Peskett for such a well-written book.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”