Official Review: Land Of The Living by James Pinard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Official Review: Land Of The Living by James Pinard

Post by literarycat »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Land Of The Living" by James Pinard.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Land of the Living by James Pinard is a fantastic combination of science fiction and thriller with a little mystery and romance thrown in. The story is filled with suspense, betrayal, time travel, and murder. In James Pinard's action packed tale James Creed strives to figure out the purpose of his abilities and why someone would want him dead.

James Creed awakens up to find himself back in his bedroom at his parents. The year is not 2015 as he remembers, but 1985 and he is 20 years old again. His memories are a little foggy, yet he has a vague memory of someone he cares for, Sara, dying in a car accident. As he rushes to save Sara, he doesn't realize the chain of events that will ensue. In the process he meets Michael and Daria who claim they are time travelers from the year 2035, and that James is a time traveler as well. They have come from the future to help James discover his mission. Lurking in the shadows of time is another time traveler; one who seeks to stop Jim at all costs, including taking James' life. James and his new friends now must literally race against time to save the future.

I found the concept of the novel interesting. While the story focuses on time travel, it is not time travel of the physical body, but traveling through time with the subconsciousness mind. One could travel to their own body in a different time or a different body. It isn't fully explained how travelers could use another body. How do they know which minds are available for them to travel to? Pinard uses dialogue to explain everything, but it never gets confusing. While he uses scientific ideas and theories, it is all easy to grasp.There are questions that don't get answered in this novel. But the book does have the feel of having more to the story, so maybe things will get explained further in future novels. One thing I did enjoy is that Mr. Pinard explores some historical events in his novel such as what would have happened if President Kennedy was not shot. He also explores the idea of one cannot change the past as well as how even the smallest event can have profound results. Land of the Living makes you wonder "if I could change the past, would I change, and if so what would I change?"

The characters are appealing and complex. Michael came off as a mystery to me; it seemed there was more to his story than what we see in the novel. Daria is almost non-existent which makes one wonder what is her true role within the tale. I wanted more from her instead of her being a background character. It seems Mr. Pinard enjoys the use of mysterious characters which we see in Dearborn, Michael, Daria and even James. There is a multitude of things we don't know about James. However, that is not a bad thing. after finishing the novel, I hunger for more from each of these characters and expect to see more in other novels from James Pinard. The narration is in the first person viewpoint, and the narrator changes throughout the story. When you start a new chapter narrated by someone new, it is hard to distinguish who is telling that part of the story.

The writing style to is to the point and does not include a lot of "fluff". The style kind of reminded me of a James Patterson novel. The pace was easy-going, but suspenseful at the same time. I couldn't turn the pages fast enough to find out what happened next. There were some spelling errors throughout the novel. Small things like using "here" instead of "hear," but it wasn't enough to distract from the story. I would recommend this novel to anyone who enjoys science fiction, or someone who is looking for a good book to branch into the genre with. I would also recommend this novel for those who like a good mystery, there are enough mystery elements that fans of that genre would enjoy it as well. As for a rating, I would give Land of The Living a 3 out of 4 because there were moments where it was difficult to determine who was narrating the story.

Land Of The Living
View: on Bookshelves

Like literarycat's review? Post a comment saying so!
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
jampinard
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jampinard »

Thanks! Enjoyed reading your review!
literarycat

Post by literarycat »

jampinard wrote:Thanks! Enjoyed reading your review!
I enjoyed reading it! Is there more?
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
jampinard
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jampinard »

There is going to be a second volume yes thought it will take some time to complete it. I am going to use a clip from your review to add to the review section of the book on Amazon if that's okay. I appreciate your insightful perspective on the book.
I can let you know once the second volume is done if you like. I am also going to do an audio book and a screenplay for it as well so we will see what becomes of it.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds good! Thank you for the nice review.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
literarycat

Post by literarycat »

jampinard wrote:There is going to be a second volume yes thought it will take some time to complete it. I am going to use a clip from your review to add to the review section of the book on Amazon if that's okay. I appreciate your insightful perspective on the book.
I can let you know once the second volume is done if you like. I am also going to do an audio book and a screenplay for it as well so we will see what becomes of it.
Oh yes of course you can use a clip :-) that is the highest compliment. And yes I would love to know when it comes out.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Lovely review! It sounds like a very interesting book!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

Very nice review on a very good book.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
Mitj4
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Mitj4 »

Thanks for the review.. I would say it is how it is..
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Nice review. I always think it takes a lot of guts for an author to tackle time travel, precisely because of the paradox / Butterfly Effect problem. I've seen it done poorly, and done well. This looks like it was done well.

About the point of view problem, very true. We need to know who is narrating. I like Susan Howatch's novels. In some cases, when the first-person point of view switches to a different character, she simply titles that section with the character's name.

Welcome to onlinebookclub, by the way, literarycat. I saw in another post that you joined this because there is no book club available where you live. We're happy to have you!
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting book. I have read a lot of books about physical time travel but I can't remember reading about mind time travel. I imagine something like Wolverine going back to 1970s in X-Men Days of Future Past and Jake Sully taking an Avatar while inside his avatar link unit. Great review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”