Official Review: LIFE: It Is What It Is by Lisa Sugarman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Official Review: LIFE: It Is What It Is by Lisa Sugarman

Post by gaporter »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "LIFE: It Is What It Is" by Lisa Sugarman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I give Life: It Is What It Is by Lisa Sugarman 3 out of 4 stars. The book is the author’s collection of opinion pieces written over a four year time span for a local newspaper in Massachusetts. They chronicle the author’s life in her small town on a weekly basis. Sometimes the articles are intimate about her family life, sometimes they’re on a broader scale about her town. This book might appeal to readers who are looking for short snippets to read instead of a long novel that requires investment or for people who want to read about a relatable, everyday life.

The author has a normal life with her husband and two teenage daughters. She is busy moving about town and conducting her small town life. Her energy and attitude comes through the pages. The writing style is simple and easy to read, not pretentious or laborious.

In my opinion, the articles written to address her town about local business, such as scandals in the school district, maybe should have been left out. Those details don’t seem relevant to the outside audience and seemed boring. The articles that are written about her revelations about her children growing up, life evolving, or her optimism when things don’t go well are more interesting and relatable, though. Some of her inspiration could be common across the board regardless of where a person lives or what their life looks like.

I do not give this book a full 4 out of 4 rating, though, because some of the articles I believe did not need to be included, such as about local town business. Other articles also seemed to be written because they needed to be done on a deadline for the newspaper publishing rather than because she had these thoughts worth communicating. Some were just mundane. Others however were a nice insight into somebody else’s way of life or a different way of thinking.

The author is incredibly optimistic. It could be energizing to read a few of the short upbeat sections. But it’s worth keeping in mind that she is only another ordinary person who happens to have an opinion piece in her newspaper as an outlet. She is not an expert psychologist by any means. Some of her opinions I disagree with and some I thought didn’t always seem entirely thought out. Overall, I recommend this book for readers who are looking for light reading and something not to take too seriously.

LIFE: It Is What It Is
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like gaporter's review? Post a comment saying so!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your review. I usually like these types of books since you get a feel for the local culture. I can see your point about some of the articles being written on deadline for the author's local newspaper vs. really wanting to communicate her thoughts about a certain subjects.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. Sounds like an interesting reading material. I think I wold enjoy reading about small town life. Nice job on the review!
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

That was a good and honest review. It sounds like picking up a newspaper in a new town and reading the 'happenings' columns - you don't really know the backstory or the ins and outs, but the peek into the town's goings-on is usually interesting.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”