Official Review: Seven Will Out by joann spears

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
debo9967
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover

Official Review: Seven Will Out by joann spears

Post by debo9967 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Seven Will Out" by joann spears.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What would historical figures have to say about the controversies they have left behind for future generations? Well, Dolly here, is about to find out.

In Seven Will Out: A Renaissance Novel, the sequel to Six of One: A Tudor Riff by author JoAnn Spears, Dolly is in for another girl’s night out with some famous Tudor ladies. In the previous book, Dolly, a history professor by profession, lost consciousness during her bachelorette party and ended up in the astral plane with the six wives of Henry VIII (the king of England from 1509 to 1547). Her dream interview with these six ladies proved beneficial for both the sides involved. So, this time around the younger generation of the Tudor period decides to seek Dolly’s help. Dolly’s second fainting spell, right before an important speech she has to make, teleports her back to the astral plane, where she has been summoned to meet some important personalities like Elizabeth I, ‘Bloody’ Mary, Mary, Queen of Scots, and some other famous females of that period. What is the secret they conceal that will not only mean rewriting of history, but shake the foundations of the literary world as well?

First off, readers are advised to go through the short genealogical chart provided at the end of the book to refresh their memory about the Tudors and the English court in that period. A quick revision of English history of that period won’t hurt either. Now that I have got that out of the way, let me say that this is a book in the historical fiction genre, and not only is it fiction to a T, it also a non-serious take on Tudor history.

The concept of the book is fascinating; with the author introducing a humorous twist to Tudor history. While the story is replete with tongue-in-cheek humor, especially the execution faux pas running throughout the book, there is also political intrigue and conspiracy to keep the reader hooked. The clever parallels drawn with Dolly’s life, add to the mix. The author doesn’t stray too far from actual verifiable history, with one major exception, but what is different is her interpretation of the historical events and what might have been the motivation for various political figures to act as they did, for example, for ‘Bloody’ Mary to peruse religious persecution during her reign.

There is a lot of sentiment involved too, but when the book is considered as a whole, the sentimental portion comes across as a bit silly. Coming back to the plot, almost half of the book is over before the reader comes to the central plot. There are a lot of peripheral characters with their own stories to finish before the intended seven characters enter the scene, and their interaction, not unlike Cinderella’s appearance at the ball, is on a tight schedule.

The book is written in first person narrative, with the author’s rich vocabulary complementing the story. While I enjoyed the descriptions of the attire and other paraphernalia in the Elizabethan era, the excessive emphasis on the farthingales, ruffs, et al was slightly annoying. So was the overuse of rhymes in the titles of the chapters.

The book gets full marks on concept, but I’ll take away a star for execution of the plot, which could have been sharper. Readers who enjoy historical fiction, especially spoofs and parodies, should not miss out on this entertaining, somewhat nonsensical, spin on the Tudors & Co. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

Seven Will Out
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like debo9967's review? Post a comment saying so!
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

I am going to add this book to my reading list. Awesome review, debo.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
Anki_Real_Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55282">The Palace of Illusions</a>
Currently Reading: 2 books same content: You'll Do Anything for Him. You'll Do Anything for Her
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anki-real-reviews.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00LHLASDU

Post by Anki_Real_Reviews »

Wow! I am more mesmerized by your review than the book. Your word selection is truly inspirational. As for the book, I think I am going to add it to my 'To-Read' bookshelf.
"A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading." ~William Styron
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

I'm not sure I've ever read a humorous historical fiction novel. This sounds interesting.... I loved studying the Tudors in high school.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice review! The premise of this book looks really interesting and I like the added humor/spoof element. I am going to add this one to my readling list.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
debo9967

Post by debo9967 »

Thanks, all of you! :)
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

Great review! I think I would read Six of One: A Tudor Riff first since this is a sequel.
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
debo9967

Post by debo9967 »

Thanks! :)
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

The concept seems quite refreshing and interesting. Great review!
debo9967

Post by debo9967 »

Thank you! :)
shelley_soetosenojo
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 21940">the fiery cross</a>
Currently Reading: A Taste of Seduction
Bookshelf Size: 139
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelley-soetosenojo.html
Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
Reading Device: B0716S5G56
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by shelley_soetosenojo »

Great review. It made me very interested in the book. I like historical novels especially set in England or Scotland. What really draws me to the story is the author's take of the historical facts. Hope to see more reviews by you.
Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
debo9967

Post by debo9967 »

kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I have read a lot of books about the Tudors and I enjoyed them immensely. However, all of them were serious historical fiction which, I think, is different from this one. Great review!
debo9967

Post by debo9967 »

Return to “Historical Fiction”