Official Review: Synth: Severed - The Synth Series Book 1

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Official Review: Synth: Severed - The Synth Series Book 1

Post by bluemel4 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Synth: Severed - The Synth Series Book 1" by Z.Labuschagne & LM Du Preez.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How far would you go to become successful or famous? Would you be willing to hurt your best friend? Inflict pain that leaves physical scars on yourself? Could you lie to yourself and everyone around you?

These are the central issues that the two main protagonists, Poppy and Mila, face in book one of The Synth Series: Severed by L.M. Du Preez and Z. Labuschagne. The book is a seamless collaboration by Du Preez and Labuschagne. The authors split the work of writing by character, with Du Preez writing for Poppy and Labuschagne writing for Mila. The result is a fast paced and gripping read with each character getting their own alternating chapter. The authors do an impressive job of making each part of the book maintain a consistent tone. The book fits into the young adult genre.

Poppy, a regular at club Synth, has low self-esteem and her heart broken by the same man countless times. She is ruled by her emotions and jumps at the opportunity to join Loch, the heartbreaker and lead singer in the clubs band, in a ritual to obtain success. There is only one catch, they need four people to make it work. Poppy automatically thinks of her fiercely competitive best friend, Mila, who is “cautious and meticulous” in her decisions and used to being Poppy’s voice of reason. When Mila takes the summer off from ballet to spend time with her increasingly distant best friend Poppy, she thinks the trip is only about reconnecting. Instead of a girl’s vacation, Mila is lead into the strange world of Synth and forced to break out of her comfort zone.

What makes this novel so successful is how different the main characters are from each other and yet they are both completely relatable. The character development happens organically and each girl evokes empathy. Both characters are guilty of using justifications to explain their bad choices, however, this does not take away from their likeability.

Du Preez and Labuschagne have a wonderful command of imagery when explain emotions. The settings and secret world of Synth are realistic and interesting. The carefully crafted emotional state of Poppy and Mila help build the mystery and suspense, as the two girls have very different experiences regarding the secret ritual. Written in first person, the dialogue feels authentic and does a nice job keeping the book timeless. This is as much a psychological thriller as it is a mystery; ensuring that the reader is invested in this character driven story.

One criticism is that Poppy’s dialogue has an emotion at the end of every line. It makes reading cumbersome and takes longer than necessary to read through. For example, “I sincerely ask” or “I confidently confess.” The writing would be smoother if the emotion was allowed to be intuitively gleaned from the tone of the conversation rather than spoon fed.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The distinct characters and cohesive writing is well done and engaging. The mystery and thrill ride kept my interest and made this book difficult to put down. The descriptive style and realistic character development made this book very enjoyable. I recommend this book to readers that enjoy character driven stories, college coming of age tales, or are looking for something that is an exciting read and does not have a lot of curse words or descriptive sex scenes.

Synth: Severed - The Synth Series Book 1
View: on Bookshelves

Like bluemel4's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I am glad you enjoyed the book. Thank you for the lovely review. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bluemel4

Post by bluemel4 »

Thanks! @gali
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

Very interesting review, bluemel. I like your observations on the "spoon fed" emotions.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Well-written, insightful review! I loved the opening paragraph. It's interesting that the authors split the writing by character. I have never seen that before in a book, but I'm sure it gave a more distinct flavor to the main characters.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
bluemel4

Post by bluemel4 »

chytach18- wrote:Very interesting review, bluemel. I like your observations on the "spoon fed" emotions.
Thank you! @chytach18-

-- Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:49 am --
bookowlie wrote:Well-written, insightful review! I loved the opening paragraph. It's interesting that the authors split the writing by character. I have never seen that before in a book, but I'm sure it gave a more distinct flavor to the main characters.
Thank you! @bookowlie It really was interesting and well done.
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

It seems very unusual, but innovative, to split the writing up that way. The book sounds pretty mysterious too. I can't tell whether this secret ritual involves drugs, the occult, or something totally different. Great job on the review, bluemel! Congratulations also to the authors for such an innovative, highly rated book!
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
DaintyFlower7
Currently Reading: The Bazaar of Bad Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daintyflower7.html
Latest Review: "Strange" by Mark Taylor
Publishing Contest Votes: 33

Post by DaintyFlower7 »

bookowlie wrote:Well-written, insightful review! I loved the opening paragraph. It's interesting that the authors split the writing by character. I have never seen that before in a book, but I'm sure it gave a more distinct flavor to the main characters.
I was really intrigued by that also. So many collaborative works fall short for me when two authors try to share the writing for one main character. I'm going to check out this book just to experience this very unique approach to team writing.
Latest Review: "Strange" by Mark Taylor
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke

Post by Levi »

I love the idea of two different writers taking on different characters. An exemplary review as always, Mel, and because of that and the unique nature, I will definitely add this to my list!!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
bluemel4

Post by bluemel4 »

anonanemone wrote:It seems very unusual, but innovative, to split the writing up that way. The book sounds pretty mysterious too. I can't tell whether this secret ritual involves drugs, the occult, or something totally different. Great job on the review, bluemel! Congratulations also to the authors for such an innovative, highly rated book!
@anonanemone The unusual way the book was split up by character is what initially made me want to read the book. The ritual is a secret even to the characters.

-- Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:41 pm --
DaintyFlower7 wrote:
I was really intrigued by that also. So many collaborative works fall short for me when two authors try to share the writing for one main character. I'm going to check out this book just to experience this very unique approach to team writing.
@DaintyFlower7 I can't wait to hear what you think of this book. :D

-- Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:42 pm --
Levi wrote:I love the idea of two different writers taking on different characters. An exemplary review as always, Mel, and because of that and the unique nature, I will definitely add this to my list!!
Thank you! @Levi I am excited you are adding this one to your list!
LZ-Synth
Currently Reading: Synth: Divided - The Synth Series Book 2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by LZ-Synth »

We Would like to say thank you for taking the time to read and review our novel - we are extremely happy with the result of the review. :D Definitely looking forward to more comments from readers. :mrgreen:
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

Sounds like you really enjoyed this read bluemel4. Great review!
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
bluemel4

Post by bluemel4 »

LZ-Synth wrote:We Would like to say thank you for taking the time to read and review our novel - we are extremely happy with the result of the review. :D Definitely looking forward to more comments from readers. :mrgreen:
@LZ-Synth you both did an excellent job writing this book. The editing was well done and I am still shocked that two authors wrote this book. I can't wait for the next book in the series!

-- Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:05 am --
Cee-Jay Aurinko wrote:Sounds like you really enjoyed this read bluemel4. Great review!
I really did! @Cee-Jay Aurinko

Thank you for your kind words.
Ginny121
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ginny121 »

Nice idea that it's been written by 2 authors, makes it more interesting that each character is written by a different person. I'm waiting to find out more on the story line. I think it flows very well, and I'm waiting patiently for the 2nd book. :techie-studyingbrown:
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Wow. This sounds really good. Thank you for the review.
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”