Official Review: Maadi's Adventures in Egypt by Bill Wilke

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ramona
Favorite Author: Too many...
Currently Reading: Burn Zones
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramona.html
Latest Review: "My Life In The Dirt: Adventures Of A Suburban Organic Farmer" by J. Don Bell
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Official Review: Maadi's Adventures in Egypt by Bill Wilke

Post by Ramona »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Maadi's Adventures in Egypt" by Bill Wilke.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Maadi's Adventures in Egypt by Bill Wilke is an exciting and educational tale about a dog's adventures in Egypt narrated by the dog! Maadi describes herself in the following words: "My father, Wolf, is a Siberian husky, and my mother, Sonia, a black lab. My combination of husky and black lab results in confusion between the husky call of the wild, and the obedient black lab genes. I was named after a suburb of Cairo, Maadi, which is pronounced Maudy."

Well, obviously, dogs cannot talk or write, so this story is fiction, but the dog on which the story is based is real. The ficticious Maadi tells the story of living in Egypt with her humans, Bob and Kathy. She relates her conversations with dogs, but other than dogs talking with each other, their actions remain true to the character of dogs. Maadi does things that a dog would do in real life. In her interactions with Bob and Kathy and other humans, she acts as a real dog would.

Bill Wilke worked in Egypt for several years. Maadi is a stray who showed up on his doorstep when she was about ten months old. The author has taken many of Egypt's geographical and historical facts, along with his and Maadi's real experiences, and has woven them into a fascinating piece of fiction. The story is written in first person point of view from a dog's perspective. The author does a wonderful job of "showing, not telling" Maadi's life in Egypt with vivid vocabulary.

The story is full of entertaining adventures with a little mystery tucked in it as Maadi, the main character, tells her story, talks with the dogs she meets, and lives in a loving home with Bob and Kathy. Although Bob and Kathy are necessary characters to the story, their development is a little less round than Maadi's character. They are there when needed, but Maadi is the protagonist pre-eminent! There are many other good characters and several antagonists sprinkled throughout who add excitement to the story. Some of them are wild dogs and some are humans; they all contribute nicely to moving the action along.

Maadi loves Bob and Kathy and does not exactly want to disobey, but her call-of-the-wild Husky genes get her into some mischief every once in a while. There are moments in the story when Maadi gets into serious trouble. Then the reader wonders how the adventure is going to turn out!

There was the time when Maadi was being chased by three large Dobermans. She tells it this way: "Every few strides, I glanced back over my shoulder. It was always the same. Each time three sets of the biggest, sharpest, shiniest, white teeth I’ve ever seen, framed in three snarling mouths, with saliva oozing from the corners were drawing ever closer. Unless I got a break soon, I was going to be a big doggie play toy, tossed in the air, and torn apart in several pieces."

Not every experience ends up exactly like what Maadi was hoping for! Maadi's Doberman experience is just one of the times when she wished her obedient Lab genes had kicked in before the call-of-the-wild Husky genes had a chance to lead the way.

Throughout the book, there are many photographs of the people, animals, terrain, and maps of Egypt to illustrate the tale. These photographs balance the talking dog with reality and give the fiction a very believable, realisic twist. When new words or phrases native to Egypt are introduced in the narrative, Maadi explains their meaning in her conversational tone. The story is packed with facts and I learned a lot about Egypt, but it never felt like I was reading a text book.

Although the book is written for children, probably for the pre-teen, early teen range, I found the writing style and vocabulary to be very engaging for adults. I estimate the vocabulary to be on a sixth to eighth grade reading level or higher. I think that young folks and adults alike, especially those who have an interest in other cultures, will thoroughly enjoy reading Maadi's Adventures in Egypt. This well-written book has been nicely edited with only a very minor punctuation error here and there. It was a pleasure to read. Without any reservation, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars!

Maadi's Adventures in Egypt
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ramona's review? Post a comment saying so!
Numbers 6:24-26 The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace.
Latest Review: "My Life In The Dirt: Adventures Of A Suburban Organic Farmer" by J. Don Bell
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a lovely and memorable book. I hope my children and I get the chance to read it. Congratulations to Bill Wilke for such a beautifully written book. Great review!
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

Your review makes this book seem like a very interesting way to learn some things about Egypt! Congratulations to the author, Bill Wilke, for a great idea for a story about Egypt. I like the idea that this book makes it possible to learn some facts about a country in an interesting way, rather than just a list of facts.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

What a neat way to write a story about Egypt! I love this idea. Great job on another review, Ramona! Congrats to Mr. Wilke on getting a 4-star review!
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Ramona

Post by Ramona »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like a lovely and memorable book. I hope my children and I get the chance to read it. Congratulations to Bill Wilke for such a beautifully written book. Great review!
It is a great book. I hope you do get a chance to read and share it with your children. I think you'll love it!

-- 24 Mar 2016, 15:53 --
Amheiser wrote:Your review makes this book seem like a very interesting way to learn some things about Egypt! Congratulations to the author, Bill Wilke, for a great idea for a story about Egypt. I like the idea that this book makes it possible to learn some facts about a country in an interesting way, rather than just a list of facts.
Yes, it was/is a fascinating way to teach geography and history! I think this book could even be used in a school classroom. It would certainly hold the children's interest and give them drive to search out other facts to go along with the book. Perhaps they'd even get inspired to write stories of their own (either individually or collectively) as they learn about other countries, using an animal for a main character!!

-- 24 Mar 2016, 15:57 --
anonanemone wrote:What a neat way to write a story about Egypt! I love this idea. Great job on another review, Ramona! Congrats to Mr. Wilke on getting a 4-star review!
Thanks, Anonanemone! It was such a fun read! Mr. Wilke wrote an inspiring, imaginative, and factual book, all in one! I'd love to read more books like this.
Numbers 6:24-26 The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

This book sounds really interesting. Great review.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Ramona

Post by Ramona »

stoppoppingtheP wrote:This book sounds really interesting. Great review.
Thank you! It was a fascinating book! I loved it!

Return to “Children's Books”