Official Review: The Experiential Approach by Dean Nelson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Official Review: The Experiential Approach by Dean Nelson

Post by Tanaya »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Experiential Approach" by Dean Nelson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Experiential Approach: A Fresh New Approach for Creating Immediate Personal Power is a self-help book by Dean Nelson. It is about 180 pages.

The book starts with a very personal and tragic story. When the author was a teenager, his father committed suicide. For decades he felt guilt surrounding this awful day, facing depression and suicidal thoughts. Fortunately, after spending a considerable amount of money on different seminars, books, and other media, he developed a means to live life in a more meaningful and positive way. Essentially, it all boils down to the power of belief. What we believe influences our experiences in life. Once we identify what our negative beliefs are, we can adjust them to be more positive and productive. This will affect the choices we make and empower us with the right attitude and intentions so that we can live a more fulfilling and rewarding life. It takes time and commitment to adjust how we view ourselves and to make changes for a better quality of life, but it’s incredibly worth it.

There are a few exercises in the book to put these ideas into practice, such as identifying what you would like to change about your life, what’s been holding you back in accomplishing specific goals, and finding the underlying beliefs that need to be altered. An example that the author uses is a person who wants to be a better public speaker. This person was the youngest of seven siblings and believed that what he had to say was not important. In order to be a better public speaker, that person would need to change his belief to be that what he says is important. I really liked how the author thoroughly explained these concepts, using specific examples and understandable terminology. There is a refreshing simplicity to his explanations that makes being happy seem achievable, even though the mind is a complex thing.

Another commendable aspect of this book is that there is the right balance of talking about his personal life to giving practical advice. It all flows well together, is very relatable and can be applied to any difficult situation that someone may have faced. For instance, the author states: “I unknowingly created a belief that my life was hard after my father’s suicide. Every negative event became an opportunity to reinforce that philosophy. Every difficult experience had control on what I believed.” The author also discusses his marriage, career, and hobbies, showing that this method applies to all realms of life.

I really appreciate the intent behind this book. The author really wants to help readers based on his own experiences. He reinforces the idea that it’s possible to overcome the darkness and devastation that traumatic events bring. He is also very realistic and honest. He’s not perfect. He’s human. Bad things will always happen; but we do have some control through the choices we make, our attitude, and our beliefs. I also really like his distinction between intentions and powerful intentions. It’s nice to want something, but we have to actually go after it. We also don’t have to completely neglect our past, no matter how bad it may have been. We can instead learn from it and let negative experiences empower us in the present.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was very convincing, well written and down to earth. I felt not only inspired but also incredibly motivated to put these ideas into action. I would recommend this book to anyone looking to make changes in their lives, overcome trauma, and be more focused on the present.

The Experiential Approach
View: on Bookshelves

Like Tanaya's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dean
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dean »

Thank you so much Tanaya for the wonderful review! I'm pleased you enjoyed it and I am very grateful.
Kindest regards,
Dean
Tanaya
Currently Reading:

Post by Tanaya »

I don't want to get too personal but this book spoke to me on so many levels. Thanks for sharing your story and advice. I'm glad you liked the review.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I loved the line "a refreshing simplicity to his explanations." You did a nice job pointing out the things that made the book shine. Well done!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

Great review. Sounds like it may be a helpful read to those who need some sort of encouragement.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Tanaya
Currently Reading:

Post by Tanaya »

Thanks to the both of you! I think this book will be incredibly useful for those who really need it.
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

Excellent review, Tanaya! Dean, your book will motivate many people.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
Dean

Post by Dean »

Thank you StoppoppingtheP and chytach18-!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Great review and well-rounded, Tanaya! I'm glad you enjoyed the read and that it affected you positively.

Congratulations to the author for being able to express his life struggles and accomplishments! I can only imagine how challenging it is to share such personal details of your life, so I also appreciate the author for doing so :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Dean

Post by Dean »

Thank you hsimone!
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

You are very welcome! :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

This sounds like an inspiring book! Thank you, Tanaya. Congratulations, Dean, on a great review/rating and thank you for sharing your story. I'm very interested to see how you were able to turn around all of that entrenched negative belief from personal experience and what worked for you.
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Topcho
Favorite Author: J.R.R.Tolkien
Currently Reading: z2
Bookshelf Size: 853
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topcho.html
Latest Review: "Sonar The Cyclone" by B Truly

Post by Topcho »

I am not much into self-help books, but I just loved this quote - "I unknowingly created a belief that my life was hard ". I think many people do this, after one event or another that put them down. So kudos to the author for pointing it out and to you for the wonderful review.
Latest Review: "Sonar The Cyclone" by B Truly
Tanaya
Currently Reading:

Post by Tanaya »

I'm glad to see all of these lovely comments. Thanks, everyone!
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Very nice review, it's always great to see a four-star rating! I am presently in a place where I'm trying to make positive changes, so I am adding this book to my reading list :)
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”