Official Review: The Vanishing Chemist by Peter Alpert

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: The Vanishing Chemist by Peter Alpert

Post by gali »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Vanishing Chemist" by Peter Alpert.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As is often said, the truth is stranger than fiction. If I didn’t know this was based on factual events, I would have thought it was too far-fetched to be a fiction novel. The book is categorized in the thriller/crime genre, but fits more the contemporary fiction genre as there isn't much of suspense here. The Vanishing Chemist by Peter Alpert follows a chemist's trials and mishaps as he pursues his pipe dreams. The story is told from the first point of view of the chemist's attorney, Mark Conover, and it is based on factual events.

The cons get craftier and the stakes rise ever higher in the breezy (and maddening) story of the chemist Madison Bellamy (aka Maddy). Maddy is always looking for ways to make a quick buck, but his plans often go south in a hurry. His misadventures, and his sheer disregard for the law, often land him in more trouble than he anticipated. It is up to his attorney to keep him out of the clutches of the law, not an easy task let me tell you.

When Mark first took Maddy on as a client he never realized what was in store for him. Maddy first contacted Mark for legal advice about water pollution allegations, and other requests soon followed by. Trouble seems to follow Maddy around, and he often finds himself in hot water due to his unscrupulous practices. In fact he is mudding the waters in more ways than one. Mark has to keep Maddy from "falling over the proverbial cliff", a task that would affect his personal and professional lives. Bellamy’s escapades will take them both halfway around the globe into a glamorous world awash with shady business and dark corners.

The novel is a many-ingredient concoction of intrigue, romance, travel, clandestine meetings, and more besides. This is the author's second book. It is a very short read, consisting of 25 chapters and a total of 138 pages, and it is very informative in nature. Lots of information about high finance and courtroom proceedings is relayed, which I found interesting. The story illuminates both characters throughout their dealing. I struggled to feel sympathy for Maddy, who is a very unpredictable character, although I certainly felt a tremendous amount of sympathy for his lawyer. I liked Mark and his adventurous spirit, and respected his sense of honour. I also liked that Mark stood up for Maddy throughout all his trials and felt duty-bound to him. The players aren’t just names but full-fledged characters, with their thoughts and dialog recreated convincingly. In fact the relatability and character descriptions are one of the strong points in the book.

This is one of those books that start off slow and just gets better and better. I enjoyed the story, but there were a few stumbles along the way. It starts slow, but then picks up stream as the story unfold. There’s a certain amount of repetition regarding the allegations against Maddy. The novel has a fluid and concise, if dry, writing. The meaning of the title becomes chillingly clear as the story unfolds. Each chapter is aptly named, but the name of the last chapter "the final solution" left a bad aftertaste due to its negative associations. The story lacks the tension you would expect in a thriller, but it was interesting ride all the same.

Aside from these issues, I did enjoy the story. It's an engaging story overall, so I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. The author has seamlessly woven themes of fallible human nature, duty, and standing up for your beliefs in a single narrative. The story also explores the pitfalls that result from unbridled greed and misdemeanors. If you are interested in behind the scenes courts proceedings and high-finance deals, this book certainly fits the bill.

The Vanishing Chemist
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble | on Amazon

Like gali's review? Post a comment saying so!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Excellent review once again, gali! The meat of the story sounds quite intriguing, even if the skin seems to be a little dry. ;) Great job with the presentation of the book!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
gali

Post by gali »

rssllue wrote:Excellent review once again, gali! The meat of the story sounds quite intriguing, even if the skin seems to be a little dry. ;) Great job with the presentation of the book!
lol thank you for your kind words. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

You are most welcome! :tiphat:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
palpert1
Currently Reading: Mary Chestnut's Diary
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by palpert1 »

Thanks for the review. The paperback edition is 236 pages, not 138.
gali

Post by gali »

palpert1 wrote:Thanks for the review. The paperback edition is 236 pages, not 138.
Thank you. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your insightful, balanced review. It's so true that truth is often stranger than fiction. I loved the descriptions you used to give readers a flavor of the story! I am going to add this book to my long reading list.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:I enjoyed reading your insightful, balanced review. It's so true that truth is often stranger than fiction. I loved the descriptions you used to give readers a flavor of the story! I am going to add this book to my long reading list.
Thank you. I think you will like the book. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

palpert1 wrote:Thanks for the review. The paperback edition is 236 pages, not 138.
The reviewers receive the e-book version of the books for review. Depending on the e-format, there can be a wide variation in the total page count.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:
The reviewers receive the e-book version of the books for review. Depending on the e-format, there can be a wide variation in the total page count.
:text-yeahthat:

Indeed. Book formats have different page totals. I have read the ebook format, and it was 138 pages on my kindle. Nonetheless, I enjoyed the book regardless of its length. 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

stoppoppingtheP
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

Great review, although it doesn't seem like my type of book.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
gali

Post by gali »

stoppoppingtheP wrote:Great review, although it doesn't seem like my type of book.
Thank you for reading it. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

charysma_lilly
Favorite Author: too many....
Currently Reading: Before I Fall
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charysma-lilly.html

Post by charysma_lilly »

I like books with lawyers :) and I loved your review, you made the book sound even more interesting !
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

I agree with rssllue. You presented this book clearly and concisely. You did a wonderful job analyzing the books strength and weakness.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
gali

Post by gali »

charysma_lilly wrote:I like books with lawyers :) and I loved your review, you made the book sound even more interesting !

-- January 13th, 2016, 6:17 pm --
bluemel4 wrote:I agree with rssllue. You presented this book clearly and concisely. You did a wonderful job analyzing the books strength and weakness.
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”