Official Review: Fields of Rust by Robert Gryn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Official Review: Fields of Rust by Robert Gryn

Post by rssllue »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fields of Rust" by Robert Gryn.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is a review of the science fiction book Fields of Rust as written by Robert Gryn. It is volume one in the Suns of End series.

The background of the story is a cosmos that is running down and heading towards almost total entropy. As the title suggests, the machines and structures of old are worn down leaving particles of rust scattered all across the landscape. This fact has not stopped the battles of war from continuing as ultimate power is still sought by rulers and kings as it has been for centuries before.

The story opens with a battalion of soldiers in hyper iron armor coming across a single unarmed man as they march across the land. After a brief exchange of words with the commander of the column, the man, Nezantes, proceeds to single-handedly destroy the entire force of soldiers using only his eerily glowing hands. He finishes with a soldier named Solaz. He cuts off his arm, and as Solaz bleeds out, Nezantes burns his way down to the bone, upon which runes appear and begin to glow. Thus begins his quest to honor his promise to redeem his king from the war he lost in times long past.

The main characters of the book are the aforementioned Nezantes and Solaz, along with a mysterious female monk named Isolde who rescues Solaz from certain death after losing his arm, and finally the humbled and tired king Darsen. The setting begins in the colossal Worldship that is so huge that the inhabitants simply know it as the World, for most do not even realize that it is truly a ship that sails the sub cosmic rivers of the universe. The story also travels to the Seven Worlds where the children of the gods and Darsen once fought their battles. The universe of the book is quite massive in its scope to say the least.

The story positively pulled me in right away and kept me rapt with attention throughout as I waited to see what would become of Nezantes’ quest and the efforts put forth to stop or aid him in it. The description of the events happening in the story are quite vivid as the author did a wonderful job of constructing excellent scenes throughout the book. It truly is an epic telling of science fiction that left me desirous to read the next part of the saga.

One problem that I did have with the book, was that it just seemed to get too big as it went onward. The scale with which the battles and characters took kept escalating to where it seemed to go even beyond the cosmic level that the story was set in. The auras and abilities of the characters became exceedingly powerful, especially in the final battles of the story, where it all felt too prodigious to me in the end.

I rate this book a solid 3 out of 4. Mr. Gryn has written an extremely entertaining tale that I heartily recommend for any lovers of science fiction. He will take you on quite the staggering ride with this book and hopefully the rest of the series as well.

Fields of Rust
View: on Bookshelves

Like rssllue's review? Post a comment saying so!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

I am intrigued. Does most of the story take place on the worldship or do the characters manage to leave it? (...if it's not a spoiler)

I would definitely give this a try. I love broad scope worlds.
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

The first part of the story takes place on the Worldship, but the characters travel to the other parts of the cosmos from there.

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html

Post by anonanemone »

I like it!
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Very insightful review. I get a little dazed and confused when it comes to science fiction, but you did a great job of explaining the book in an easy-to-understand way. Nice job!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

anonanemone wrote:I like it!
The author definitely takes you far and wide in his creation throughout the story. You will certainly enjoy it if you like broad scope worlds! :)
bookowlie wrote:Very insightful review. I get a little dazed and confused when it comes to science fiction, but you did a great job of explaining the book in an easy-to-understand way. Nice job!
Thank you very much! :tiphat:

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Sounds intriguing :D
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

It really is quite good! You should give it a read! :)

Ramona
Favorite Author: Too many...
Currently Reading: Burn Zones
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramona.html
Latest Review: "My Life In The Dirt: Adventures Of A Suburban Organic Farmer" by J. Don Bell
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Ramona »

Great review! I'm not a science fiction fan, but it sounds like a great read for a sci-fi enthusiast!
Numbers 6:24-26 The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace.
Latest Review: "My Life In The Dirt: Adventures Of A Suburban Organic Farmer" by J. Don Bell
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

Thank you very much! And I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment @Ramona !

gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Great and insightful review as always. I am a science fiction fan, so may give it a try. :)

Congratulations to the author for the positive review! :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

Thank you very much, gali! :tiphat: I do not believe you will be disappointed by it at all if you do end up reading the book. :) Be sure to let me know what you think of it!

gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

rssllue wrote:Thank you very much, gali! :tiphat: I do not believe you will be disappointed by it at all if you do end up reading the book. :) Be sure to let me know what you think of it!
:tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

:handgestures-thumbup:

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I'm so glad we have that little guy! :tiphat:

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.