Official Review: Miss Fancy Pants by Alicia Gargaro-Magana

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rachel_bruhn
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-jacks.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 5004

Official Review: Miss Fancy Pants by Alicia Gargaro-Magana

Post by rachel_bruhn »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Miss Fancy Pants" by Alicia Gargaro-Magana.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Miss Fancy Pants by Alicia Gargaro-Magana is a romance novel with a twist of adventure. This is Gargaro-Magana's first novel, but she draws on years of experience as a movie and TV show producer as well as owning her own publishing company. She has also written for several magazines over the years.

From the first page, the reader is thrown into the dream life of the main character, who remains nameless throughout most of the novel. Once out of her dream, the reader learns that her life is less than extraordinary, although she tries to make a living by bringing adventure into the lives of tourists in the Los Angeles area. After an unexpected encounter with Bill Boxem (who gives her the nickname of "Miss Fancy Pants") and a drunken visit with a psychic, the main character's life is turned upside down. She becomes acquainted with John Tower, an associate of Bill's, who wants to offer her a lucrative job offer that will promise lots of adventure and travels. Being in a bit of a financial crisis, and with some encouragement from her best friend, Clarissa, she decides to accept the offer. From that point forward, the reader follows her new secret life, working for a company that is trying to make the world a better place, while trying to hide her feelings for the very attractive John Tower. This is a book you have to read to see how things turn out!

At first blush I thought this book would be more of an erotic romance novel since it starts off with a very erotic fantasy adventure involving a chandelier and a cleric. After that introduction, I thought the story was a bit slow and choppy. It was rough enough that I had resolved to just reading the book so that I could say I had finished it. I am very happy that I stuck with it because it gets so much better once the main character meets John Tower! The action and intrigue picks up after chapter six and continues through the end of the book.

On a technical level, I only noted a couple of minor typographical errors. What was most frustrating while reading was that the main character is only referred to as "she" during narration and assorted nicknames by those that she encounters until being dubbed as "Fancy" much later. When the main character interacted with other female characters, it was confusing at times which "she" was being referred to within the narration. However, I believe the absence of a given name plays into the central message of the story.

Amidst the romance and adventure that takes place in Miss Fancy Pants, there is a thread that weaves throughout all of the characters, and the main character in particular. It is a message about knowing who you really are and embracing who you really are. In the beginning, the reader is introduced to a character that dreams of living a "fabulous" life full of excitement and adventure. However, she concedes that that particular lifestyle is not meant for her, nor is she meant to find love. When she is finally offered a job that gives her (almost) everything she could have ever wanted, she doubts herself and says she does not belong there. She also refutes the possibility that she is meant to love John or that she is even good enough for him. Along the way she is given the nickname of "Fancy", which she assumes as her name. In the end, Fancy finally learns how to embrace her true self, but is it too late? Readers can relate to this message, because it challenges them to question who they really are and identify what is holding them back from being their true selves.

Despite the rocky start, I believe that Miss Fancy Pants by Alicia Gargaro-Mangana has earned 4 out of 4 stars. I love the message behind the story and the story itself is quite riveting once the real action begins.

Miss Fancy Pants
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like rachel_jacks's review? Post a comment saying so!
Journey beyond the jacket.
ValtearTheShadebane
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valteartheshadebane.html
Latest Review: "The Children of Cain" by David R. Bishop & J. Scott Cordero

Post by ValtearTheShadebane »

Great review! I think sometimes it makes the story more personal when the main character's real name is not known...it kind of puts you in their shoes a little. I like adventure stories, but romance not so much, however this seems like an interesting book to read.
Latest Review: "The Children of Cain" by David R. Bishop & J. Scott Cordero
rachel_bruhn

Post by rachel_bruhn »

Honestly, I didn't even notice there wasn't a name until I was doing the review. It didn't detract from the story at all.
Elgar
Bookshelf Size: 3
Publishing Contest Votes: 1

Post by Elgar »

Nice review ..... will put it on my to read list1
Aishwarya Kjanduri
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Aishwarya Kjanduri »

An amazing review, indeed! The use of words is amazing & a great way to describe the story. Liked it a lot.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like my kinds of story. Maybe not so much for the romance but for the self-discovery aspect which, as I understand the review, is touched in this book. Great review! Congratulations to Alicia Gargaro-Magana for such a wonderful book!
rachel_bruhn

Post by rachel_bruhn »

While it is a romance novel, I think that Fancy's journey to discover herself is what allows her to find romance. The two themes really go hand in hand.
KimPete83
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimpete83.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by KimPete83 »

This was a really great, informative review. It sounds like an interesting story, one that I probably would like, but I appreciate your honesty that the book has choppy parts. This doesn't really bother me as I am a person who can kind of skim over the choppiness and not lose anything in the story but it's good to know what to expect!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, well-written review! You made several good points, particularly about the slow start and the sometimes onfusing way the character is referred to as "She." I am glad the story picked up steam after a while!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
rachel_bruhn

Post by rachel_bruhn »

I wasn't really confused until I went to write the review and couldn't remember her name! I thought I had forgotten a major detail of the book, which is not like me, but when I went back through to find her name I realized it was never used. I think it adds to the theme of finding oneself. Fancy is inherently nameless until she is given the nickname. It is with that name that she begins to find herself and have an identity. It was very creative in my opinion.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I belong to an in-person book club and one of the books we discussed was written in the 1st person. Most of the other characters didn't refer to the main character by name too often. When we discussed the book, many of us forgot the main character's name as a result!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like a cute book! I am glad you enjoyed the book after its rocky start, and that it better once the main character meets John Tower! Good job on the review! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1427
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

I have to say that after reading the description and customer reviews on Amazon, I was still not really 100% sure what this book was about....UNTIL I read your review!! Thank you!! It was one of the best I have ever read!!:-) Because of this, I'm going to head back to Amazon and get my copy. They really need to post your review in the description section for this book on Amazon. I feel like so many more people would buy it because they would have a better idea what the book was about! Thank you so much again!!:-)
fallenechoes
Currently Reading: Doomed Soul
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by fallenechoes »

Good review. Not really my genre but it sounds interesting anyway. Thanks!
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Great review! This book doesn't seem like it's for me, but I'm glad you enjoyed it!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”