Official Review: The Paperhanger by Jack Burbank

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: The Paperhanger by Jack Burbank

Post by MsMartha »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Paperhanger" by Jack Burbank.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mark Sinara calls himself "The Hangman", but that's not because he's an executioner. His business is to remove and hang wallpaper. In this story, he finds some intriguing things under old wallpaper he has pulled, starting with a hand-drawn picture done by a previous worker, Artist George. It includes a note relating the drawing to a beauty queen's disappearance that happened years earlier, and was never solved. Mark and friends decide to do some investigation on their own, and share the results with the police. Of course that isn't an easy thing to do, but answers can be found if you have curiosity, good intentions, and teamwork.

Mr. Burbank did a lot of things right when he wrote this novel. The plot is organized well. The story includes all the details a reader would want to know. There isn't extraneous information. Mark and his friends find the answers to their questions. Some are relevant to the mystery and some are not, but if they are not, they demonstrate how a character's thought process can go wrong.

The characters are also well done. Mark, the Hangman, tells the story. He is a humorous guy, both when he's having discussions with friends and foes, and when he's describing mysterious or personal circumstances. But he doesn't over-do it, or use humor when it's inappropriate. Other characters include Mark's girlfriend, Deb, who likes to control situations; the Rosters, a family that hires Mark to do a lot of wallpaper replacement and has a connection with Suzette, the missing beauty queen; and Peter Foley, the detective who tried to determine what happened to Suzette.

There were a few things in the book that I would have expected to be fixed as a result of proofreading. For example, in some instances the Roster family was called the Roster's, not the Rosters--in other words, it was possessive, not plural. The names of some things were italicized, which isn't necessary for restaurants or businesses. While these are not highly serious issues, I found them a bit disappointing considering how well-written the novel was in general.

Last but not least, I'd like to mention something about the end of the story. It isn't unusual for a book to have an epilogue, but I'm not sure I've ever read one quite like this. I don't want to give away any secrets, but it was entertaining, enjoyable, and included some final explanations about what had happened to various characters.

I'm rating this book at 3 out of 4 stars. It is well organized and entertaining, and I recommend it to readers who like crime and mystery.

The Paperhanger
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MsMartha's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Jack Burbank
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Jack Burbank »

MsMartha,

Thank you for reviewing my book, "The Paperhanger". I appreciate your very nice comments and the critique on writing structure is well taken - I'm never going to be considered a literary expert. So I can see that I should perhaps hire or find a good English major to do a final edit of any book I submit to a real publisher. Point well taken. My first novel, "Padanaram Village" was the better of the two according to all the comments I've gotten back and I'm almost done with my third novel, "The Sentence". I hope you find yourself reading them both one day. But again, thank you very much.

Jack
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice review! It seems like the book has all the ingredients for an absorbing read - well written, good character development, and a plot that flows well.

Congrats to the author on receiving a positive review. Note to the author - based on the reviewer's comments, it sounds like the book is very well written. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

Jack Burbank wrote:MsMartha,

Thank you for reviewing my book, "The Paperhanger". I appreciate your very nice comments and the critique on writing structure is well taken - I'm never going to be considered a literary expert. So I can see that I should perhaps hire or find a good English major to do a final edit of any book I submit to a real publisher. Point well taken. My first novel, "Padanaram Village" was the better of the two according to all the comments I've gotten back and I'm almost done with my third novel, "The Sentence". I hope you find yourself reading them both one day. But again, thank you very much.

Jack
Jack, you're very welcome! And thanks for the info about Padanaram Village--it was on my to do list to see if you had other books. I hope all goes well with The Sentence!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Nice review, MsMartha! Seems like a very interesting read indeed! :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting book. I think I would like the character of Mark. Great review! Congratulations to Jack Burbank for such a wonderful book!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”