Official Review: Winter Light by Robin Maderich

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadinetimes10.html
Latest Review: Joletta’s Dreams by Karen Craker Forester

Official Review: Winter Light by Robin Maderich

Post by NadineTimes10 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Winter Light" by Robin Maderich.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Winter Light by author Robin Maderich is a novella prequel to a Christmas romance series that takes place in the fictional town of Connor Falls, Pennsylvania. Allie (Allison) Roberts is lacking the holiday inspiration she needs to decorate the display window in the book emporium she manages for her parents. Her lack of motivation could mean disaster for the seasonal sales the store depends on. Yet, a possible means to a solution unexpectedly appears before Allie’s eyes one day, on the other side of the window: the face of a little girl.

Meanwhile, divorced, single father Luke Hollis, owner of a Christmas tree farm, is busy worrying about his anxious young daughter, Lydia, who misses her mother. Lydia has formed a dangerous habit of taking off from home, and when Luke eventually arrives at the town’s bookstore to retrieve his daughter, he suspects he’s seen the store’s manager somewhere before, whoever she is. The manager, however, has no doubt about Luke’s identity.

This novella is simply, fittingly titled for a Christmas story, but one mustn’t mistake that simplicity for triteness. The theme of winter light turns out to be a poignant one, deftly handled by the author. Maderich’s characters are effectively realized on the page, developed as believable, rational, deeply feeling people. When romance fiction includes a child as young as Lydia, it can be easy to make such a character cute but otherwise flat, almost like a prop instead of a person. However, Lydia is portrayed as a complex human being, adding an interesting dimension to Luke and Allie’s story.

Also, the plot of Winter Light doesn’t always take the most predictable route. Where the author could have used more conventional timing for a small-town tale’s turn of events, Allie’s small-town predicament expands instead. Still, even with the characters’ rationalizing and some sobering plot development, the author leaves room for striking moments, like glimpses of winter magic. Then, on account of the plot’s uncommon timing, the story is free to reach a touching peak that any reader of holiday romances can appreciate.

Therefore, I give Winter Light an overall rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Even as a short prequel, it’s a complete story on its own and an excellent example of solid storytelling in novella-length fiction. I’d recommend this book to romance readers who would enjoy a quick Christmas read with warmth, deep emotion, and memorable light.

Winter Light
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like NadineTimes10's review? Post a comment saying so!
robinmaderich
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by robinmaderich »

Thank you, Nadine, for the wonderful review! You made my holiday. Yours, Robin Maderich
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

robinmaderich wrote:Thank you, Nadine, for the wonderful review! You made my holiday. Yours, Robin Maderich
The pleasure's mine, Robin. Merry Christmas!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I really enjoyed reading your review! I like that you mentioned the plot doesn't take predictable routes. The story looks interesting and I am adding this one to my list.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

bookowlie wrote:I really enjoyed reading your review! I like that you mentioned the plot doesn't take predictable routes. The story looks interesting and I am adding this one to my list.
Excellent, Owlie! And yes--I was all ready for the quick Hallmark Christmas movie tie-up (nothing wrong with that; I'm a fan of Hallmark movies), but the story did something else instead. It kept me on my toes!
Topcho
Favorite Author: J.R.R.Tolkien
Currently Reading: z2
Bookshelf Size: 853
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topcho.html
Latest Review: "Sonar The Cyclone" by B Truly

Post by Topcho »

Sounds so cute! I have a soft spot for such stories, especially in this time of the year.
Latest Review: "Sonar The Cyclone" by B Truly
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

Topcho wrote:Sounds so cute! I have a soft spot for such stories, especially in this time of the year.
I'm rather new to purposely reading Christmas books around Christmastime, but I think it's a habit I'll hang on to. :)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I just started reading this book and am really enjoying it!
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

bookowlie wrote:I just started reading this book and am really enjoying it!
Oh, fun times!! :D
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

It's funny how Luke runs a Christmas tree farm and still hasn't put up a tree in his own house. :)
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

bookowlie wrote:It's funny how Luke runs a Christmas tree farm and still hasn't put up a tree in his own house. :)
It's almost like Santa delivering all those Christmas presents to everyone but getting nothing for Mrs. Claus.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like my kind of story. Little Lydia sounds like a very lovable character. Congratulations to Robin Maderich for such a wonderful book. Great review!
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like my kind of story. Little Lydia sounds like a very lovable character. Great review!
Thanks! Yes, Lydia is a lovable character, and she also made me stop and think a little, too.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I finished the book a few days ago and enjoyed it very much. How can you not like a guy who loves take-out Chinese food? :D I agree with you that Lydia is a layered, realistic character, where the author could have just made her a stereotypical little girl. The only thing I would have liked to see was a more fleshed out dating backstory for Allison, the main character. There was no hint of any past romantic relationships before Luke popped up in her life. Maybe I missed something, but it felt weird that it was never mentioned if she had a boyfriend or boyfriends at some point in her life. Her backstory just felt a little sparse other than her running her parents' bookstore.
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

Great review! I love reading books like that during the holidays. Even though the holidays are officially over, I'll have to add that one to my reading list!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”