Official Review: Frozen Souls by Steven Mouland

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Frozen Souls by Steven Mouland

Post by Levi »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Frozen Souls" by Steven Mouland.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you like magic, sorcery and witchcraft, and things like elves, trolls, barbarians and swordplay--then you should teleport yourself into the world of Arteriea, and there enjoy the adventures of the Children of the Zodiac. Frozen Souls (Children of the Zodiac: Book 2) by Steven N. Mouland is the second book of a three-part series. It is preceded by Frozen Path (Children of the Zodiac: Book 1), and it will soon be followed by the third and final installment, Frozen Mystic (Children of the Zodiac: Book 3). The first book, Frozen Path, was reviewed here by our very own Kappy--to the tune of four stars. I liked Frozen Souls so much that I have since gone back and purchased the first book, and I must say that I agree wholeheartedly with Kappy's assessment! This is a fantasy series, and an author to watch for.

Frozen Souls picks up exactly where the first book left off, and I am happy to report that i had no issue following along. The author did a great job of making sure that you could still enjoy the book, even if you had not read the first part of the series. After having read the first book though, I am glad I did as there was a lot of backstory that I am now glad to be privy to.

To recap, Arteriea is an earth-like world that was once ravaged by a devastating war. This world is filled with different kinds of beings: humans, barbarians, dwarves, elves, trolls and the like. There are also different forces at play in the world: the strengths and weaknesses of humanity, Shadow magic, Light magic, and the ever-present mystery of the Zodiac. The Light and the Shadows were both born from the Tree of Life and are said to combat the power of the alien presence of the Zodiac. The Light, Shadow and Zodiac powers come in the form of crystals which, when found by the correct person, embed themselves in the host. These Powers seek out their avatars, or human bodies to posess, with the demise of each previous avatar. Our main characters are either those searching for their Zodiac crystal or friends sent along to protect them. The Light and the Shadows interweave themselves throughout our band of main characters and side characters. Although we feel like we are on a quest for good, it is never entirely revealed what the intention of the Zodiac powers are. All we know is that the civilized races: humans, Zarians, elves and dwarves, must fight against a growing darkness while hoping that the Light and the Zodiac powers will help them overcome.

One of our main protagonists is Jeremisias Mystal, a young half-elven Elementalist (one who learns to control one of the elements of the earth with magic) who is on a quest to find his Zodiac crystal. There is also something different about him that one can never quite place. He is accompanied and protected by his lifelong best friend Reichan, as well as a mysterious warrior named Gallowyn. Caitlan is another one of our characters, a beautiful, young blond girl on a mission to prove herself worthy of any challenge, no matter the cost. Next we have Aramus, another mysterious character, but one who already possesses his Zodiac crystal. He watches over the group, but to what end--no one knows. Our only main character not in this group is Andromika Delarus, princess of Ice Haven and secret keeper of the Pisces crystal. She is called away from protecting Ice Haven in her father's absence, to meet him at his new fortress known as Darkwood Castle. She has not seen her father in quite some time, and is curious to find out why his dealings have become increasingly questionable and secretive.

This is a very well-written and engaging book. It is fast-paced and detailed without any long, boring passages. Kappy states the same thing about the first book, and having read it as well, I have to agree. This also tells us that the author has done an amazing job with his first two books, and will be one to keep an eye on in the future. Both books do end with cliffhangers, but that only made me want to read the series even more, and with that the author succeeded. Luckily for those who don't like to wait, the first two books are out, and the third is soon to follow. I can't think of a thing that I did not like about this book, and I rate it just slightly higher than the first book.

I give Frozen Souls (Children of the Zodiac: Book 2) four out of four stars. If you have tastes similar to mine, which a lot of you do, then I highly recommend this book, and on top of that, this author. Do what you must, fellow readers, but I will be here patiently awaiting book three!!

Frozen Souls
View: on Bookshelves

Like Escapeartist's review? Post a comment saying so!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Wonderful and very convincing review. Sounds like a great book and right up my alley.! I saw it on the list when it was offered, but I didn't pick it up since it was the second book in the series. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Levi

Post by Levi »

@gali thank you it is an intriguing series. I can't wait to see what happens next!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Escapeartist wrote:@gali thank you it is an intriguing series. I can't wait to see what happens next!
It seems like one. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your insightful review. You are on a reading roll lately! It's always a good sign if the reviewer gets another book in the series after reading the book. Trolls, dwarves, elves....not really my thing. @bluemel Now ELEVEN people with ELVEN abilities...that I can wrap my head around. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Levi

Post by Levi »

Haha thank you @bookowlie I had no choice, I had to get the first book, and now I must await the third. That is the sign of a good story.
scoepiovaeden
Bookshelf Size: 1
Publishing Contest Votes: 5

Post by scoepiovaeden »

Thank you for the positive review! I am really glad that you enjoyed Frozen Souls, as well as Frozen Path. The fact that these characters and stories swimming around my head can bring enjoyment to others makes the journey so much more fulfilling.

Frozen Mystic should be out by the middle of January at the latest. It is currently going through its final round of edits. Again thank you for the positive feedback!
Levi

Post by Levi »

No, thank you sir!! I thoroughly enjoyed it! I'm glad to know Frozen Mystic is that close, I'll be waiting in line to buy it so I can rejoin my Zodiac friends on their quest. Well done, and congratulations!
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

I love how excited you are about this book. It really comes through in your review. The fact that the book works as a stand alone novel and you went ahead and read the first in the series anyway says a lot about the quality of these novels. The book sounds complex with a lot of world building.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Levi

Post by Levi »

@bluemel4 thank you so much I'm glad that came through. There were a few errors in my review, but I'm quite proud of it since as you can tell I really enjoyed the book as well as the series so far. That's all I can ever hope comes across.
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

I always enjoy reading your reviews, they are so insight and compelling that I feel I need to get this book right now. Or at least grabbed the first book in the series. Thanks for another fantastic review.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
Levi

Post by Levi »

Thank you so very much @literarycat that means a lot especially after the editing process ha ha I'm glad that my reviews get people excited!! That's all I want. I never get excited reading about third person omniscient or how a book relates to a great speckled frog shortage, so I try not to overburden my reviews with that either. I love this site and the format, I would never want to write a formal piece, even if I could.
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson

Post by anonanemone »

Your excitement tends to be contagious! I've added these books to my read list.
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Levi

Post by Levi »

@anonanemone I really do appreciate hearing that!! You guys stop, you're making me blush ha ha jk keep it coming.....and check out these books. Or I shall slay you :)
psyche
Currently Reading: Void Contract
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psyche.html
Latest Review: "NovoPulp Anthology - Volume 2" by Niamh Brown, B. Morris Allen, M. J. Kobernus, David Grigg, Kimberly Unger, Daniela Huguet, Russ Bick

Post by psyche »

So what is the actual obstacle they face on their quest? For me the essence of a "group quest" type fantasy is whether what they overcome has real depth (not the "monsters") and involves some kind of personal development and higher stakes.
Latest Review: "NovoPulp Anthology - Volume 2" by Niamh Brown, B. Morris Allen, M. J. Kobernus, David Grigg, Kimberly Unger, Daniela Huguet, Russ Bick

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”