Official Review: Inertia by A. R. Rivera

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
zaynab_m
Favorite Author: J. K. Rowling
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Currently Reading: Rilla of Ingleside
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynab-m.html
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael

Official Review: Inertia by A. R. Rivera

Post by zaynab_m »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Inertia" by A. R. Rivera.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Inertia is the first book in A. R. Rivera's sci-fi trilogy, Threestones. It revolves around the life of G, a man in his thirties. He was named after his father, Gerry Springer; G isn't particularly in love with his real name, hence he calls himself G. Inertia is told in the first person: in the beginning, it is narrated by Gerry, while the middle and ending is told by G.
(Note: When I say G, I mean the son; Gerry is the father.)

Gerry Springer knew he was about to die; he knew when, and where. However, he wanted to save his son, wanted to make sure his G made the right choice.
G is in his thirties; one would think a man of that age would have something to show for himself. Not G. G had no house, no family apart from his father, no job and a car that cost too much to repair. One day when G is on the bus on the way to a job interview, he witnesses a strange man get onto the vehicle. Shortly after his arrival, the bus meets with an accident which G is sure will be fatal for all. But just before G slams into the wall, the stranger saves him by moving in front. G blacks out. Upon waking he finds himself transported to the year 1996, when he was a teenage lad with acne, when his whole family was intact. He feels hopeful; maybe he can change the tragic incident that caused his family to fall apart, his life to shatter. G knows he has travelled back in time, but as some days pass in 1996, he notices some details are different from how he remembered them. He attributes this to simply, a weak memory on his part. After some weeks, when G is unsuccessful in finding his way out of this bizarre world, he meets with the unusual stranger who had saved his life on the bus. He introduces himself as Daemon. While not giving many concrete and satisfactory answers to G's many questions, Daemon did manage to get G out of yet another quandary. G thinks he has found himself an ally; little did he know how wrong he was.

I absolutely loved Inertia, and fell in love with Rivera's writing style the minute I began the book. Inertia is one of the best books of its genre I have read in a long time, and it is sufficient to say, the book and author are now on my favourites list! The novel was a riveting and nail-biting one, that had me engrossed and perched at the edge of my seat from the beginning. Various sentences in the book which the reader wasn't meant to understand until the end, such as "I can't give him the stones...they're buried too far away." contributed to the immense suspense and thriller this book provides. First of all, the cover and title were what intrigued me before I knew anything about the book. I love one-word titles and have a sort of weakness for them; they don't say much, keeping you in suspense, yet give the general gist of the book.

The book started out well, with captivating opening lines which hooked the reader from the first page. I must admit, this book had me burning the midnight oil on more nights than one; it was simply irresistible to put it down! The story was well written, with near impeccable grammar, spelling and punctuation. The vocabulary used throughout the book was vast, while every now and then, the author used mild (not entirely inappropriate) slang. Good adjectives, idioms and metaphors were used, proving the author has a command over the English language. Rivera's ability to portray and convey her character's emotions and feelings was incredible. She has a great way of describing emotions, making the story seem real and the people in them, relatable. The plot shows that the author certainly has a vivid imagination. G and Abi's relationship provide entertaining yet suspenseful twists. The book was quite comical, with satirical humor, and I found myself laughing out loud in quite a few places. For example, "I was gonna take the bus but Jeanine insisted. One of the perks of being an old fart."The sentence structure throughout was good, with a combination of simple, compound and complex sentences. The simple sentences were not over-used, and were used for a dramatic effect.

However, I did feel that some sentences were unnecessarily long and winding, and I would lose track until I reached the end. I then had to go back and reread those sentences to make head or tail of them. I also (occasionally) felt that, during the narration of the story, there was a lack of contractions (like isn't instead of is not) that didn't let the narration feel naturally flowing. There were a few punctuation and spelling mistakes/typos, the occasional incorrect use of articles (like "a" and "the"), and some general grammar mistakes like the repetition of a word in the same sentence. A round of editing and proofreading should do the trick, though. Another thing wrong with this book was the descriptions, which I thought were inconsistent. Some people and places were described extremely well, down to the mere subtleties, painting a detailed picture in the mind of the reader. Others were not described so well. A perfect example of this is Ahmed, G's former boss. Close to nothing was said about his appearance. Granted, he wasn't the most important character, but some basis on which to imagine him, and other people, would have aided the reader in enjoying the book more. The author did a good job of describing setting and characters' appearance in many places, but she could have done better the rest of the time. At some places, a person's feet were described in more detail than other people were described at all; 45 words just for 'em feet! However, I must say that what was happening in the book, the events and incidents, were told extremely well.

All that being said, this book is a truly remarkable piece of work. On balance, I think the merits of the book outweigh the negative aspects, which is why I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I firmly believe that this book has the potential to be something major out there, in the great world of fiction. In fact, I enjoyed it much more than I have some international bestsellers! I'm sure this book has the makings of a successful novel, that can be further refined with some slight effort. I am in no way doing justice to the book itself! I can't wait for the release of the sequel, either.
Inertia by A. R. Rivera is definitely an enticing, gripping and nail-biting read, that takes its readers on a thrilling journey. I would recommend this book the most to fans of fantasy, sci-fi, thriller, suspense and time-travel.

Inertia
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like zaynab_m's review? Post a comment saying so!
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
ARRivera
Currently Reading: David and Goliath
Bookshelf Size: 58

Post by ARRivera »

I'm so glad that you enjoyed my book. As a writer, all you want is for people to read what you've written and love it as much as you do. So, thank you very very much.
About the typos; the file I uploaded was an advance review copy and not the final product. I should have mentioned it in the books description. It has had another round of copy editing since and all errors have been checked.
Thanks again.

AR Rivera
zaynab_m
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>

Post by zaynab_m »

ARRivera wrote:I'm so glad that you enjoyed my book. As a writer, all you want is for people to read what you've written and love it as much as you do. So, thank you very very much.
About the typos; the file I uploaded was an advance review copy and not the final product. I should have mentioned it in the books description. It has had another round of copy editing since and all errors have been checked.
Thanks again.

AR Rivera
You're very welcome :) I certainly loved your work; as I said, I'm not doing justice to the book at all! I hope it flourishes and is even more successful than it already is.
rachel_bruhn
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-jacks.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by rachel_bruhn »

You might not feel like you did the book justice (since you have actually read the book), but you definitely piqued my interest! Some of my favorite movies involve time travel and the idea that we can go back and change things (for better or for worse). I am a sucker for suspense/mysteries as well. This book seems like it is right up my alley!

I think you did a great job on your review. Your synopsis of the book told enough of the story that potential readers have an idea what it is about, but left them hanging with a twist. This book will definitely be added to my "to read" shelf!
Journey beyond the jacket.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your review. Your love of the book really shines through. For me, the author's writing style is essential to a good book. The fact that you loved the writing style is so important.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
zaynab_m

Post by zaynab_m »

rachel_jacks wrote:You might not feel like you did the book justice (since you have actually read the book), but you definitely piqued my interest! Some of my favorite movies involve time travel and the idea that we can go back and change things (for better or for worse). I am a sucker for suspense/mysteries as well. This book seems like it is right up my alley!

I think you did a great job on your review. Your synopsis of the book told enough of the story that potential readers have an idea what it is about, but left them hanging with a twist. This book will definitely be added to my "to read" shelf!
Thank you! Considering the fact that you're a fan of time travel, I'm positive you will not be disappointed when you read the book.
bookowlie wrote:I enjoyed reading your review. Your love of the book really shines through. For me, the author's writing style is essential to a good book. The fact that you loved the writing style is so important.
That is very true. I have read some books where the plot is riveting, but sadly, the whole story is destroyed because the author's writing style is not up to the mark.
f_the_merch
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by f_the_merch »

Great review! The books sounds really intriguing.
zaynab_m

Post by zaynab_m »

f_the_merch wrote:Great review! The books sounds really intriguing.
Thank you. I'm sure you'll like Inertia should you decide to read it.
Amunala
Currently Reading: Vengeance (Tip of the Spear Book 2)
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amunala.html
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch

Post by Amunala »

Gerry Springer knew he was about to die; he knew when, and where. However, he wanted to save his son.

Sounds like a masterpiece!
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Interesting science fiction story that made me appreciate the meaning of sacrifice and being unselfish. I rated the book 3 out of 4 stars and I particularly loved the onlinebook.org review of this book.
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by lavellan »

Thanks for your review! The book sounds very interesting, especially the time-traveling element. I'm curious to find out the true nature of Daemon.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I am not a huge fan of books with time travel in them, although it is apparent that the reviewer loved this book! I will probably take a pass on reading this one.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

What an interesting premise! An old man knows he is about to die and makes plans to save his son before he goes. The son is then thrust into a parallel universe and all hell breaks through. The book has to be good if it had you burning the midnight oil. Hopefully the editing issues you mentioned are fixed by now. Thank you for the nice review! This sounds just the book for me!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review. This book sounds like a total must read for me. I’m a huge fan of suspense thrillers, fantasy and sci-fi. This book seems to have all that and much more the premise is really a huge draw for me. I can’t wait to read this one. Congrats to the author on a fantastic review! Thanks so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
BethieC
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BethieC »

Your review had me quickly searching for and downloading the book. You wrote it in a way that piqued my curiosity and made me want to find out what happens in the end. Keep up the good work! :)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”