Ever been recommended a popular book and hated it?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Rizbi
Currently Reading: The Girl in the Spider's Web
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizbi.html
Latest Review: "Patrick's Journey" by Roy T Humphreys
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Ever been recommended a popular book and hated it?

Post by Rizbi »

Yep, all the time. The most recent is the Divergent Series. Friends assume that I will like it, since I like Hunger Games. Unfortunately, I hated it.
Latest Review: "Patrick's Journey" by Roy T Humphreys
breeeeeanna
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-breeeeeanna.html

Post by breeeeeanna »

hvergaetira wrote:I didn't like Divergent very much. Interesting premise, but I felt the characters were flat. Just my opinion. I did enjoy The Hunger Games, though.
This is interesting because I was about to post the exact opposite opinion when I saw this reply. I rather enjoyed the Divergent series, but could not find the draw in the Hunger Games series. I didn't like the idea of games, I didn't like the characters- I found it all to be rather annoying. I got through the first two books and couldn't bring myself to pick up the third book. With Divergent though, I could not put the books down. So it's interesting to see that varied opinion.
zumanajim
Currently Reading: Allies of the Night
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zumanajim.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by zumanajim »

all the time my best friend is obssesd with mushy romance books and i tried one and it was to ............................ unrealistic and too mushy for me!!!!!!!!!!!!
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

Absolutely. The Twilight series. I first read them in high school when it was first starting to get popular and all my girl friends were so hung up on Edward and the story in general. I just didn't get it, everything was so cliche and boring to me. And then the movies came out and people would just not stop talking about it. It never made sense to me.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
B3cca 3ll3r
Favorite Author: Jacob Abbott
Currently Reading: Ivy and Pepper
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b3cca-3ll3r.html
Latest Review: "Around the world adventures of Max & Jack FRANCE" by Emily F Overton
fav_author_id: 21085

Post by B3cca 3ll3r »

Yes! Eat, Pray, Love, does everybody remember when that was the most popular book ever? All the ladies I knew were reading that and telling me I had to too. I am not sure what it was in that book that made so many women loose their minds and have life changing thoughts but I didn't get it even a little. The Scarlet Letter. It just wasn't my flavor. Anna Karennina, I don't know why but by the end of the book I hated every character and couldn't even look at the book for years.
"We read to know we are not alone." ~ C.S. Lewis
Latest Review: "Around the world adventures of Max & Jack FRANCE" by Emily F Overton
Spontaneo
Favorite Book: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spontaneo.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Spontaneo »

Definitely yes... Battlefield of the Mind, by Joyce Meyer.
You Only Grow Old If You Want To
IanYanny
Currently Reading: The Lovely Bones
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ianyanny.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by IanYanny »

CrescentMoon wrote:Absolutely. The Twilight series. I first read them in high school when it was first starting to get popular and all my girl friends were so hung up on Edward and the story in general. I just didn't get it, everything was so cliche and boring to me. And then the movies came out and people would just not stop talking about it. It never made sense to me.
YES! I am not alone. I read the whole series and like you, I also found it cliche and boring. Sadly, my boyfriend is a fan. So. There is that.
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

In general, I am not a fan of chick lit. About ten years ago, this was a very popular genre and all my friends were obsessed. They would buy me their favorite books as gifts and I would suffer through them. I'm more of a historical fiction fan, so I'm used to reading stories that have heavy substance behind the plot. I just couldn't get interested in the typical chick lit storylines of 30-something career women with ticking biological clocks who suddenly feel frantic about finding a man. "Something Borrowed" & "Something Blue" by Emily Giffin were two such books that I remember specifically hating.

Another one was "The Best of Me" by Nicholas Sparks. I had sworn off Sparks after being repeatedly disappointed in his books. A friend recommended this one and I told her I wouldn't read it if it had a typical Sparks-tragic ending. She swore it didn't. She lied. Hated it.
Buchacha21
Currently Reading: China Virus
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buchacha21.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Buchacha21 »

The Girl on the Train. So pointless (in my opinion).
elinadsy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elinadsy.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by elinadsy »

oh boy, have i EVER. and usually it's whatever "literature" is being toted by newspapers and bookstores; see anything by Tim Winton. if it's being sold as some life changing work, chances are i'll find it excruciatingly boring. the books i've found the most life changing are the ones i read over and over again- and usually they aren't pushing themselves as works of art.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”