Official Review: See Bride Run! by Charlotte Hughes

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
khudecek
Favorite Author: Depends on Genre
Favorite Book: The Angel and the Outlaw
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khudecek.html
Latest Review: "See Bride Run!" by Charlotte Hughes

Official Review: See Bride Run! by Charlotte Hughes

Post by khudecek »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "See Bride Run!" by Charlotte Hughes.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

See Bride Run! by Charlotte Hughes is a contemporary romance novel with likable characters yet a predictable plot which earned it a two out of four stars rating.

Considering the author has won awards and accolades, I expected a much better story. Aside from the minor punctuation and spelling errors, the book summary really didn’t match the story. For instance, Annie, the bride, did leave her bridegroom standing at the altar and did hijack the limousine and drive to a little town called Pinckney, Georgia. But it wasn’t because she didn’t think she could live with a man she didn’t love. That epiphany came much later. There was no disputing that she detested her fiancé but there was more to the story which I found to be more compelling.

When she met Sam for the first time, she gave him a lot of attitude. He didn’t appreciate it and although he did help, he didn’t like her. I failed to see where or how they fell in love. On one page, he’s angry with her. On the next, he’s kissing her. Things just go bing-bang-boom and then it’s over. Nothing leads up to the first kiss. It just happens. Kindness or maybe compassion leads to him helping her but I never got the sense that it was love. It was more like he was just trying to help someone in need. There was no chemistry between Annie and Sam.

The book summary also led me to believe that Annie was going to have some real problems living without money and adjusting to a more mediocre lifestyle. I didn’t see that, either. She struggled, of course, but it wasn’t as dreadful as I thought it would be. Going from billions of dollars at your disposal to nothing but the clothes on your back in a three-hour time frame could be very dramatic and devastating. The author didn’t pursue that.

Annie did learn a lot about friendship and living life like the rest of us but these were not hard lessons for her. She didn’t seem to worry about anything. She knew everybody had her back and it seemed like she took that for granted.

There were some parts of the novel that were totally unrealistic and detracted from the story. I love fiction but I like to keep it believable. What was made abundantly clear was that when Annie had escaped the church, she’d left her purse and had nothing but the oversized, opulent wedding dress she was wearing. However, there was a part in the story where she miraculously produced an Appraisal and a Certificate of Insurance. Where did those come from?

I didn’t like the end. It seemed abrupt, rushed and went along with the predictability that was so prevalent throughout the story. So much could have been added that would have affirmed the love between Annie and Sam but I was left scratching my head, wondering what had just happened.

With the characters that made brief appearances at the beginning, so much more could have been done with the story. Bic had a small interest in Annie but we never saw him or the car again after he towed it to his garage. Marge, the town gossip, may have ruffled some feathers somewhere and even the Petrie Sisters could have gotten in on the action but nothing was done with these characters when there was so much potential. I see it as a missed opportunity for the author that left me, the reader, disappointed.

Overall, the book lacks the “wow factor” and is lacking details that would have made this a whirlwind of a story. It is an easy book to read but lacked depth.

See Bride Run!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like khudecek's review? Post a comment saying so!
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

~~
"The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Great review! It's such a shame that the book wasn't that enjoyable, though. On the surface, it looks like it has potential. The title actually reminded me of the Julia Roberts movie Runaway Bride, which is what drew me to reading your review.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
khudecek

Post by khudecek »

Thank you for the comment.

I thought it might be a bit like Runaway Bride, too but that wasn't the case, which is a good thing. It showed that the author moved away from that storyline although the title alluded to it. But it was still a disappointment.

~~
Kappy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Kappy »

Good, thorough review. I don't read romance novels, but your description about falling in love with no apparent reason is something I've often seen in movies. Amazon shows it as a romantic comedy; did you find it amusing?
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
khudecek

Post by khudecek »

Thank you.

I didn't see much humor in it but then I felt cheated because the synopsis as misleading. I was expecting far more than what I got and then when I read about the author at the end, I was really ticked. She was bragging about having this award or that award and if she really did have them, she should have known better than to put out something like this.

Romance is my main genre when I'm reading and I've read some really good stuff and some really bad stuff and this goes under the "bad" category. But it did have potential that the author didn't expound on that made the book a dud.

~~
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

LivreAmour217 wrote:Great review! It's such a shame that the book wasn't that enjoyable, though. On the surface, it looks like it has potential. The title actually reminded me of the Julia Roberts movie Runaway Bride, which is what drew me to reading your review.
Nice, insightful review. I also thought of the Runaway Bride movie when I saw the title of the book. I think the book's attention-grabbing title will grab many readers.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
khudecek

Post by khudecek »

bookowlie wrote:
LivreAmour217 wrote:Great review! It's such a shame that the book wasn't that enjoyable, though. On the surface, it looks like it has potential. The title actually reminded me of the Julia Roberts movie Runaway Bride, which is what drew me to reading your review.
Nice, insightful review. I also thought of the Runaway Bride movie when I saw the title of the book. I think the book's attention-grabbing title will grab many readers.
Thank you, Owlie.

I thought it had potential, too but I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

~~
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

I feel you khudecek. From your review I can gather introduced a lot of interesting new characters that could've made this book a whole lot better. And with new characters comes new subplots that would've added that depth you were looking for.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
khudecek

Post by khudecek »

Yes, Leon. The author would throw in a character for a page or two and then we'd never see him or her again. I do think it was a missed opportunity.

~~
Cee-Jay Aurinko

I think this Bic guy should definitely have played a bigger role. The sisters sound interesting too.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
khudecek

Post by khudecek »

They were. This book could have been something great if it had been done differently.

~~
Cee-Jay Aurinko

From millions of dollars to nothing... How does Annie manage that? It doesn't work. The author could've let Annie somehow be a billionaire herself, pretending to be a girl without money while being in pursuit of a guy that wouldn't be after her for her money.
khudecek

Post by khudecek »

It might have worked if she'd suffered some sort of hardship or discomfort or something along those lines. But she made the transition seamlessly. It's been awhile since I've read this book but I don't remember her having any hiccups to speak of. I remember being amazed that it was so smooth.

By the way, I see you're reading Dearly Devoted Dexter. I read that a long time ago. How are you liking that?

~~
Cee-Jay Aurinko

@khudecek Lol. Thanks for noticing. I actually finished it a few weeks ago. And of course I loved it. But I feel so bad for what happened to Doakes.
khudecek

Post by khudecek »

He was getting too close to Dexter and was on to him.

~~

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”