Official Review: Deathsworn Arc: The Last Dragon Slayer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Official Review: Deathsworn Arc: The Last Dragon Slayer

Post by bluemel4 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Deathsworn Arc: The Last Dragon Slayer" by Martyn Stanley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Last Dragon Slayer by Martyn Stanley is the first book in the Death Sworn series. It falls within the Fantasy genre. There are four other books in the series that are currently published. The novel follows a group of heroes on a quest to find a dragon. A map and list of main characters with bio information are also included.

Saul Karza, a licensed wizard, is commissioned by Empress Jade to find and kill an ancient, near invulnerable dragon known as Draconis Nobilus. Unfortunately, there is a shortage of warriors, archers, and mages because of an Orc problem. Saul is forced to find others to help him on his quest. He enlists two Silavarians that find the bounty for killing the fabled beast too attractive to decline. He also finds a homeless Dwarf, Votrex Vaughn, who has been locked out of his home by magic. Along the way the party is joined by the last living person to slay a dragon, a dark elf, and a mischievous elf. Can this collection of warriors and mystical races come together long enough to find and kill the Draconis Nobilus or will their differences make this band of heroes fall apart?

Stanley does a wonderful job creating a world that is not bogged down with too many new concepts or details. The entire novel takes place in Torea, a place very similar to medieval Europe. The Empire rules and protects the majority of Torea and governs through the use of Bergers. Humans are the main inhabitants of Torea, while dwarves, dark elves, sky elves, and dragons are all considered rare to the point of being fabled. There is a common language that everyone speaks and a common religion.

From the very beginning, the world is introduced through an immersion of action and dialogue. New characters are seamlessly introduced with enough backstory and information to understand their importance to the story. The action scenes are very well done and utilize each character to their full potential. The dialogue is well thought out and stays true to each character. There is an easy back and forth among the characters that is at times laugh-out-loud funny. Stanley elevates this novel with a thoughtful approach to the issues facing the characters-- for example, morality, nature vs. nurture, philosophical concepts, and the meaning of magic. Stanley makes it clear that, even though there is a one-sided attraction between two characters, there is not going to be a romance in this novel. The way it is dealt with is layered and it is rewarding to see the relationship morph into something more profound than a romance.

Stanley masterfully takes clichéd events and turns them on their heads to create a new and interesting series of events; this often leads to additional insight into the characters and the world. There is also a wonderful amount of critique on humanity done through the eyes of the fabled races. It allows for a new and fresh way to say something about the current state of things without being overbearing or preachy.

The only criticism I have is that there is too much focus on the mischievous elf and her elven abilities. She is a fantastic character and a lot of fun, but there is not a lot of information on Saul’s magical abilities or dark elf culture.

I rate this novel 4 out of 4 stars. This is not just a story about a quest to kill a dragon. There are many interesting and intense themes that are discussed. The anticipation-building action scenes are vivid and the characters are likable and relatable. Overall the book is filled with universal truths that make it fascinating and exciting to read. I recommend this book to anyone that enjoys fun and funny heroic quests in new worlds or a deeper read that deals with morality and philosophical questions.

Deathsworn Arc: The Last Dragon Slayer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like bluemel4's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

"A group of heroes on a quest to find a dragon"?? Sounds good! The book is now free on Amazon, so I rushed to grab it. Thank you for the nice review. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bluemel4

Post by bluemel4 »

Thank you gali! It is a fantastic read. Glad you were able to grab it for free. :D
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

What a great review! I am not a fan of fantasy novels, but this one sounds really interesting. I love that phrase "elven abilities!" The first time I read it fast and thought it said eleven abilities. I started thinking...wow, the character has eleven special abilities. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
bluemel4

Post by bluemel4 »

LOL... The Elf has some very cool abilities that I have not come across before in elven mythology. Thank you for the kind words bookowlie. :D
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Great review! I just snagged it on amazon! :)
bluemel4

Post by bluemel4 »

Awesome! I hope you enjoy it. :D
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

:D Hopefully I can get to reading it soon!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

bluemel4 wrote:LOL... The Elf has some very cool abilities that I have not come across before in elven mythology. Thank you for the kind words bookowlie. :D
Elven mythology - now that's a new phrase for me! I feel like elven should be my word of the day. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Excellent review! This book is also free on iBooks right now, and I just snagged myself a copy! :D
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Thanks for a good review. Seems like an interesting twist/variation on the standard tropes in the fantasy genre. Although I don't typically read fantasy, this one could be a bit different.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
zaynab_m
Favorite Author: J. K. Rowling
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Currently Reading: Rilla of Ingleside
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynab-m.html
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael

Post by zaynab_m »

That's a wonderfully written, helpful review. This book is practically in one of my favourite genres, and I hope I can read it.
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Wow great review! I love fantasy and this one sounds like it adds something new. Look forward to reading it. Thanks gali for the tip that it is free right now, just downloaded it :)
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
bluemel4

Post by bluemel4 »

Thanks Rachaelamb1! It really is unique. :D

-- Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:34 pm --
LivreAmour217 wrote:Excellent review! This book is also free on iBooks right now, and I just snagged myself a copy! :D
I hope you enjoy it. :D

-- Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:36 pm --
PashaRu wrote:Thanks for a good review. Seems like an interesting twist/variation on the standard tropes in the fantasy genre. Although I don't typically read fantasy, this one could be a bit different.
That is exactly it PashaRu! It takes standard tropes and turns them on their head. It is different in all the best ways. :D

-- Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:37 pm --
zaynab_m wrote:That's a wonderfully written, helpful review. This book is practically in one of my favourite genres, and I hope I can read it.
Thank youy! @zaynab_m be sure to grab your free copy on amazon or ibooks. :D
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

This book sounds fascinating. I'm definitely going to make a grab for this book too. This book sounds like it's right up my alley! Thank you, bluemel!
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”