Young adult book recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sphillips44
Favorite Author: Deirdre Martin
Currently Reading: Marcelo in the Real World
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sphillips44.html
Latest Review: "The Wrong Daughter" by Kathryn Rishoff
fav_author_id: 20173

Re: Young adult book recommendations

Post by sphillips44 »

g-fitton wrote:Depending on what genre you are interested in I have a few suggestions.

Lois Lowry's, 'The Giver' is a great read following the story of a boy in a dystopian society in which the citizens cannot lie, see colour or feel emotion the way we do. The book is part of a series 'Gathering Blue,' 'Messenger' and 'Son' and it one of those rare series when each subsequent book is even better than the last. Unusually, the books don't follow one character, or even the one community, but instead very loosely link with each other meaning you are always learning new things about characters and are never left trudging through mundane plot lines.

Alternatively, Ruta Sepetys' historical fiction novel 'Between Shades of Grey' is a thought-provoking and enthralling book if you are looking to read something a little different. Although it is beautifully written, it is not an easy read; it follows the story of a Lithuanian girl deported to Siberia in 1941 with her family. The description is brutal, and the characters heart-felt, making the story eerily authentic. This is a fiction novel however the events it is based on are true. One of those books that has you thinking about it weeks after you read the last lines. Recommended: Age 15+
Between Shades of Grey was an exceptional novel and I HIGHLY recommend this one as well! I can agree with 13 Reasons Why as well. For readers that enjoyed Jay Asher's novel, I would strongly suggest The Hate List b y Jennifer Brown. It's a story that leaves readers still thinking after they are done reading the book, though I recommend it for ages 14+.
Latest Review: "The Wrong Daughter" by Kathryn Rishoff
NikelKing
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikelking.html

Post by NikelKing »

I have to second "Why We Broke Up" and "We Were Liars" as they are both amazing books in terms of plots and prose.

I would also add "I'll give you the sun" by Jandy Nelson. I finished reading it a week ago and I am still not over the awe and feelings the book gave me. It has a novel non-linear narrative that is amazing at keeping the suspense going and a really well-developed love story which tugs at your heart strings.
Book2Book
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book2book.html

Post by Book2Book »

Normally I don't appreciate the more 'fluffy' side of YA, but I couldn't put 'Rebel Belle' by Rachel Hawkins down! It has a sort of Percy Jackson element to it I found fun! The mystery kept me guessing and I can't wait to read the second book! :D
Eby_rose99
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Eby_rose99 »

I would highly recommend the pledge by Kimberly Derting. i give it 5 stars out of 5 because it was so amazing that i rushed out to get the second book and finished it right away!!! :D :D :D
Mreh

Post by Mreh »

I highly recommend tomorrow when the war began series.
lenawilder
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lenawilder.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by lenawilder »

I will always recommend the Cirque du Freak series, as it is one of my favorites that I continue to go back to. It captures your attention and shows that those who are different may not be so different after all (which is something that everyone needs to see :D )

Another series that I keep reading is the Delirium trilogy. I loved it from start to finish, which is rare for me considering most series that I start leave me disappointed in the end. It is an amazing read for anyone looking for YA dystopian worlds to sink in to.

PS.. Thank you to the original poster, I've been needing new recommendations and found a lot of great options! :)
Fitzpatrick+love
Currently Reading: The Shining
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fitzpatrick-love.html

Post by Fitzpatrick+love »

"The Mortal Instruments" series by Cassandra Claire as the books are funny and the characters are relatable. Who doesn't enjoy a little magic and black leather :)?
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

I would recommend The Iron Witch series by Karen Mahoney. They're fun, fast paced, and have nice twists in the plot line.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

This place is made so awesome by all of the suggestions from so many on here! 8) Sharing good experiences through books is so very cool!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
hannahjoy2

Post by hannahjoy2 »

Any of Lj smiths books! You can see her style of writing in every one and it keeps you on the edge of your seat.
MissBookyWorm
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missbookyworm.html

Post by MissBookyWorm »

I just finished reading The D.U.F.F. I thought it was going to be a silly teenage mind numbing novel (my favorites to ready after something heavy). I was completely wrong! While it still had its teenage filled drama, it brought a lot of issues to light that people face in high school all the time. Made me think back to my days of working the hierarchy of the social ladder. Still don't miss it, that's for sure.
andriah1999
Currently Reading: School of Deaths
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andriah1999.html

Post by andriah1999 »

Any books by the five authors listed below:

Richelle Mead
Cassandra Clare
Sarah J. Maas
Rainbow Rowell
Neal Shusterman
C Belle

Post by C Belle »

When the Stars Go Blue by Caridad Ferrer is a great read; it has great advice for girls when it comes to relationships. The plot isn't predictable which, in my opinion, makes books much more fun to read. It includes culture and passion for activities and isn't a basic happy ending romantic novel.
Miria_Alcoser

Post by Miria_Alcoser »

One of my most favorite books of all time is Hush hush by Becca Fitzpatrick. Is a fantasy romance. It is very interesting and thrilling book.
Hogwarts girl
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Hogwarts girl »

I'm gonna recommend the book series Dorothy must die. It's a young adult fiction book which is why I'm posting here and it's awesome. The author is Danielle Paige and her writing is pretty good. I enjoyed this twist on the wizard of oz. Dorothy in this book is basically evil and this girl is taken from Kansas to oz to help in defeating Dorothy. In my opinion it's worth a read.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”